The Student Room Group

Calling Girls "Trashy" is Disgustingly Sexist

Scroll to see replies

Sazzle4
I find it a little odd that in a post complaining about people being sexist, you are so hypocritically rude about women yourself.
Women who have long hair and dress in a more understated way are probably terrible in bed? You don't get on well with other women because they're generally bland, conformist clones? Statements like those are just as oppressive and shaming as the issues you're complaining about regarding alternative styles of dress or self-expression.
I'm far more concerned about the number of women who claim not to get on with other women in general than I am over whether a majority of men would consider me hot if I cut my hair short. This sort of woman on woman bashing is much more worrying on the whole.

Sorry i am quoting you again bc i did not do it right he first time.

Maybe I'm just angry idk i have a lot of feelings /irony

By bland and conformist I mean to point out the double standard rather than just be catty. Most girls can't even cut their hair short or dye it a cool colour or get a tattoo without thinking "it makes me look bad to guys" ffs

How is it oppressive to point out brainwashing? even if I sound jealous (which I have no reason to be)
Original post by Sulpha

Girls are far worse and always have been.

Proof?
Original post by Anonymous
Well yes but girls get called "trashy" or "undatable" a lot more than guys

from my point of view, girls are *much* more fussy and picky when it comes to looks - and this isn't a version of me saying "girls don't think I'm attractive, therefore they're all picky" - I'm not saying that at all - it's just a fact - biological dimorphism tends to create a picker sex in general, and it's obviously girls - men compete for girls and sex, girls don't need to (and I'm not saying "sex" = "being attractive", I'm generalising the issue slightly but you get what I mean)
Original post by zippity.doodah

from my point of view, girls are *much* more fussy and picky when it comes to looks - and this isn't a version of me saying "girls don't think I'm attractive, therefore they're all picky" - I'm not saying that at all - it's just a fact - biological dimorphism tends to create a picker sex in general, and it's obviously girls - men compete for girls and sex, girls don't need to (and I'm not saying "sex" = "being attractive", I'm generalising the issue slightly but you get what I mean)

That may be true biologically or whatever, but Im talking about society here.

I guarantee you if you filmed 100 guys on TV or whatever,a mainstream channel, and asked them to tell the pubilc what they supposedly found hottest, and did the same with 100 girls, the girls' replies would be more different and varied and the 100 guys' would be very similar: long hair, Hollywood looks, boring style of dress for the most part.

This may not be what they actually prefer but its less socially acceptable for women to be non conformist and for guys to like such women
Original post by Sulpha
Where's yours ?

And why did you feel the need to post this anonymously ?

All you've done is make general statements like "women always call each other sluts," not even engage w/my points. You started by claiming that "girls are worse." You prove it, he who asserts proves.

I'll post as anon as I like, it separates me from the conformist sheep :smug:
That may be true biologically or whatever, but Im talking about society here.

I guarantee you if you filmed 100 guys on TV or whatever,a mainstream channel, and asked them to tell the pubilc what they supposedly found hottest, and did the same with 100 girls, the girls' replies would be more different and varied and the 100 guys' would be very similar: long hair, Hollywood looks, boring style of dress for the most part.

This may not be what they actually prefer but its less socially acceptable for women to be non conformist and for guys to like such women

I'd have to disagree again - girls find slightly more diverse things attractive, sure, I'll assume that's probably true, but that doesn't make them less picky, if anything that makes them *more* picky if it's more difficult to satisfy their expectations.
Reply 26
I call girls trashy all the time but not to their face because then they would be offended. If you dress like you could work in a strip club then you are trashy to me.
is it the fact I'm a hipster or ironically a hipster girl that is the problem?

I couldn't give a **** about what your gender is. However I do give a **** that you disrespect a fundamental movement in this way. Also, how did you think that arguing against misogyny with more misogyny is at all logical?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zippity.doodah
I'd have to disagree again - girls find slightly more diverse things attractive, sure, I'll assume that's probably true, but that doesn't make them less picky, if anything that makes them *more* picky if it's more difficult to satisfy their expectations.

No no your missing my point, I mean what society says is attractive and what men will say to save face. not what they actually may like, unfortunately society says this so much that they may not date a girl to save face too

al_94
I call girls trashy all the time but not to their face because then they would be offended. If you dress like you could work in a strip club then you are trashy to me.

I dont mean Geordie Shore style dressing. I mean alternative stuff.
Original post by amberskye

I couldn't give a s**t about what your gender is. However I do give a s**t that you disrespect a fundamental movement in this way. Also, how did you think that arguing against misogyny with more misogyny is at all logical?

I don't disrespect it but I do dislike things that are too popular. Feminism is way too popular nowadays

How am I being misogynist? I am just pointing out that some women have beeen brainwashed
I don't disrespect it but I do dislike things that are too popular. Feminism is way too popular nowadays

How am I being misogynist? I am just pointing out that some women have beeen brainwashed

Because you're shaming women who don't fall into your 'unpopular and unique' way of categorising people, and you also simplified them to how good they are in bed. This makes you just as bad as any other misogynist.
No no your missing my point, I mean what society says is attractive and what men will say to save face. not what they actually may like, unfortunately society says this so much that they may not date a girl to save face too

what does society think looks good for men and how is it different to the view of society of what looks good for women? I know what you're saying, I'm just wanting you to explain it specifically because I don't see much difference between the societal norms between the two, not regarding "fussinesses"
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by amberskye
Because you're shaming women who don't fall into your 'unpopular and unique' way of categorising people, and you also simplified them to how good they are in bed. This makes you just as bad as any other misogynist.

I'm not trying to shame them, just trying to point out that they are conformist.

I didn't try to simplify them per se. sorry if I was rude, Im just tired of women like me (AKA the underdogs) being made fun of by society etc., and in fact we are usually the ones simplified in that way
I'm not trying to shame them, just trying to point out that they are conformist.

I didn't try to simplify them per se. sorry if I was rude, Im just tired of women like me (AKA the underdogs) being made fun of by society etc., and in fact we are usually the ones simplified in that way

Ok but making others feel bad for not being a hipster or whatever won't make the situation any better.

Sorry i am quoting you again bc i did not do it right he first time.

Maybe I'm just angry idk i have a lot of feelings /irony

By bland and conformist I mean to point out the double standard rather than just be catty. Most girls can't even cut their hair short or dye it a cool colour or get a tattoo without thinking "it makes me look bad to guys" ffs

How is it oppressive to point out brainwashing? even if I sound jealous (which I have no reason to be)

The language you used was loaded and the anger showed. That didn't add weight to your argument as much as it undermined it.
Again, if sexism and brainwashing are your main concerns then perhaps you should look at your comment: 'without thinking "it makes me look bad to guys'
The decision to dress a certain way or get a particular hair cut being based upon the perception of whether most men will think it looks good or bad is the problem and the real 'brainwashing' we should be uniting against. Ironically though, most people find nothing more attractive than someone confident and comfortable in their own skin so making those decisions for yourself and not your idea of what society finds most attractive will actually be what makes you more appealing.

None of the non-conformist dressed women I know have greater or lesser difficulty being accepted than the more traditional ones. Society has some very odd ideals and there is no question that women are under immense pressure to be 'perfect' or 'attractive' but to suggest that those who don't conform to current fashions are doomed to be considered 'not hot' and avoided by men is a little short sighted.

You seem to have missed the hypocrisy in this statement too. You are insulting women for conforming to fashion whilst overlooking the fact that this suggests you'd be happy for them to conform to your preference for a fashion or lifestyle movement. So you want conformity but only if it conforms to your personal ideals.
If you posted this thread 10 years ago, then fair enough. But now days women are like that and society is fine with it.
guys can look what what they want to look like and girls will still go for it because men are allowed to be whom they want with no punishment.

Punishment? What?

Whereas girls aren't allowed to have short hair, they aren't allowed to look "edgy" or "punk" or be hipsters or alternative and still considered hot.

Quite the opposite. Look Emma Watson for example. Short hair and everyone raves on about her. Jenna McDougall and (to some degree. More relevant years ago) Hayley Williams are seen as punk and tons adore them.

They aren't allowed to have multiple sexual partners or be any other than long haired softly spoken into hair and beauty types who dress in boring dresses and skirts and never swear and are choosy about whom they sleep with.

It's like you are so hipster that you block out what the real world is actually like. No one is demanding these innocent, incredibly girly women. It's just a stereotype that you are using to try and support your argument.

I'm a bi girl and I don't get why guys go for supposedly "ladylike" girls like that at all. They are unsexy, boring prim and proper and probably awful in bed tbh.

Bloody hell...

Many of my hottest guy friends (I don't get on with girls because they are mostly conformist clones) have told me in private that they would go for totally different girls if they could, but are oppressed into liking and dating what "Hollywood" says is hot by the media and friends. AKA Stepford wife women. This needs to end.

Then quite frankly your guy friends, if they are real, are incredibly stupid. I don't know one person that is like this. And I go to sixth form where this "only doing what the media tell me to be trendy and popular" stuff would occur.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's also sexist to call "lady-like" girls "unsexy, boring prim and proper and probably awful in bed tbh." Stop being a hypocrite.
Original post by ParadiseFound
You are incredibly naieve and misconcieved if you think men are the main culprits of slut shaming . Its women who have it out for each other and will glady bitch about any girl who they don't like , calling them slags , trash etc

Incredibly true. As a girl I have to say women are the cruelest. The view that when a girl dresses up nicely she dresses up not for men, but for other women has more truth in it than I think is often accepted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending