The Student Room Group

Idiots guide to telling if a girl likes you.

Ok, so I'm totally useless when it comes to determine whether a woman likes me or not. I've had past experiences where I've missed out on a girl purely because I was totally blind to see that she liked me.
so I ask, and I'm sure it's been done over and over and I've googled it but it's so contradicting, girls how can I tell?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's contradicting because there is no one way to tell, sorry.
Expressing your interest in someone generally works for me. It can only go two ways, she does or she doesn't.
Reply 3
If she deliberately does things to annoy you?
I can imagine so many guys subbing to this right now. :rofl:

Spoiler

If you like her and she likes you it should be fairly obvious. I would imagine a fairly good sign would be how often she smiles around you.. if a girl really likes you its kind of hard for her to hold back on smiling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quickest and easiet way is to ask her out for a coffee or drink,
Reply 7
Ask her friends:dontknow:
Just ask
Original post by Black Cat
Just ask

Genuinely this, ask her out for a drink or coffee or something and you'll know if she likes you by accepting your invitation :yy:
Girl: "I like you."
Reply 11
Basically you ask her and she'll either say yes or no. Problem solved.
Agreeing to go for a coffee or drink doesn't mean a girl is romantically interested in you.

The older I have got the more I have come to believe in this rule of thumb:

If you sense a girl likes you, she probably does, at least to some degree.

If you fancy a girl but deep down don't sense she likes you then she probably doesn't, no matter how much you hope and wish it.

People talk about all these tactics of do this to get a girl to like you, treat her mean, don't try and be her friend else she'll stop fancying you, or whatever.....the basic truth is that is a girl like you then it is just easy, if you like her you will naturally come together. She will like being around you and feel happier being around you so its easy to get her to spend time with you, she is not making excuses not to come or to get away early.

I think if ever you have to think too hard/wonder too hard, or work too hard to get a girl then you have missed the point that she probably isn't interested, and you can't make a girl interested in you just by bidding for her attention.

Not every girl that likes you is going to get with you, sometimes circumstances aren't right, she might be with someone else, you might be with someone else, you might be in a situation like her flatmate or her manager at work where she doesn't feel comfortable entering in to a relationship. But you can always sense when there is some kind of vibe there between you.

The other point I'd make is there's a difference between 'chemistry' and 'compatibility'. Sometimes there is chemistry between you and a girl but not a lot more, and you get off with each other/sleep together, maybe even start a relationship together but it isn't going to work properly. When you're compatible then you just kind of click naturally and enjoy spending time together. There's a more outwardly obvious vibe when there's chemistry, and other people pick up on it too. When there's compatibility you just feel yourself drawn towards the person and comfortable with them. For a relationship to really work you need this compatibility and when you've got it you don't need the other kind of chemistry because you just feel as one sexually as well.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
Ok, so I'm totally useless when it comes to determine whether a woman likes me or not. I've had past experiences where I've missed out on a girl purely because I was totally blind to see that she liked me.
so I ask, and I'm sure it's been done over and over and I've googled it but it's so contradicting, girls how can I tell?

Well its complex.

It depends on the girl.

some girls are shy and may seem like they don't like you when they do.

others are used to flirting at default and therefore unaware that they seem like they're interested when in face they are not.

some girls are well aware that they are flirting and are flirting for some reason, maybe to win influence and favor or maybe just cause they can. Some girls (and guys) knowingly flirt without any romantic interest.

for example I new a girl who was not interested in me but flirted with me to get help with her uni work. something she didn't need to do because I would of helped anyway. but then things got weird. Me and a girl (who was prettier than her) started getting close. she became aware of this and then started becoming kind of... territorial and started flirting extra hard. it was all bizarre because i new she wasn't interested. but i think this second act in behavior was for the sake of competition and ego.

so these things can make it hard to tell.

But yea. things to notice. eye contact. if she holds eye contact with you but then looks away in a kinda shy way like you've caught her staring then she likes you.

another good one is just plain old communication. what i mean is, if she contacts you, or shows that she's actually interested in talking to you and if you have like a text convo and then leave it for a while (she may be expecting you to text her) but then she texts you first anyway cause she can't help her self.

keep in mind the exception to these texts is function. so like if its cause your working together or whatever.

like if its purely social then yea, take it into account.
Original post by karmacrunch
I can imagine so many guys subbing to this right now. :rofl:

Spoiler

:rofl:
http://www.wikihow.com/Know-if-a-Girl-Likes-You

includes these gems:

Watch for subtle signs in the girl's face––if her eyes are dilating, then she may really like you.
When you are both in a room-- if she sits diagonally from you or across from you at the room,when she's interested, her torso is facing you in an open manner, or her shoulders and hips are facing you. Either of these signs may mean she likes you. When she is sitting and she has her legs crossed, watch her feet, if its pointed towards you, it might mean that she likes you and wants to get closer to you.
Look at her lips. If she touches them constantly or bites them, she's probably very interested in you. If her lip quivers slightly when you look at her, you can almost be sure she likes you.
(edited 9 years ago)

Are you the same bear as on DLF?
Original post by Anonymous

What's 9+10?
Original post by And then...
Are you the same bear as on DLF?

:lolwut:

not sure what DLF is ?
If she lets you stick it in her then she likes you. That's the general rule anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending