The Student Room Group

Is this a good beginning?

Is it a good idea to start the personal statement by expressing your happiness to have found the course you're applying for?
Reply 1
Personally I don't think it's a good idea as you want to portray that within what you are writing anyway.

Ideally, the opening paragraph should firstly highlight why you are applying to the course, followed by what your interests are within that subject.
Reply 2
Yea I very much agree

What if the course you found is one that's perfectly tailored for you interests? Can you start by mentioning this?
Unis won't know you are only applying to that specific course, so they may find your opening a bit disingenuous. Equally, you are not going to apply to a course you don't like, so unless you express very clearly what it is about the specific course you like, chances are it won't really help you stand out. A better introduction will explain why you are interested in these things.
Reply 4
If you're able to make a justifiable link between your interests and specific modules or topics within the course then it can be included. However, I recommend looking at some of the personal statement examples within the student room to get a better grasp on the structure used.

Typically it will be in the form of:

What course you want to study and why.

What is in your current curriculum that is relevant or has contributed to the coure you are applying for.

wider reading ( things outside your course that have contributed to you apply to the course )

Following this you can include relevant experiences such as work experience...

A paragraph about yourself, such as your hobbie etc and then a concluding statement of what your ambitions are following the completion of the degree
Reply 5
Very convincing indeed. thank you both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending