The Student Room Group

Regret not going to university

Now more than ever I regret not going to university, not for the educational side of things, but for the social aspect.

I made the decision not to go to university and decided to get a job instead. I started off as Customer Services assistant in a Garden Centre, and now I currently work in London as a Project Manager for an international recruitment company (a position that actually stated a degree was required but I got the job based on experience) It's taken me 3 years in total to work my way up which I'm immensely proud of and I really enjoy what I do. Plus, I'm not in a crazy amount of debt.

My one regret is the social side of things. Most of my friends went to university but a few stayed behind. Now they're all back, we're back in contact again and I see them weekly/every two weeks. The only issue is that they've understandably made new friends and I feel that I haven't made any new ones at all. I now really regret missing out on the social aspect of university and find myself constantly comparing how many friends I have to others, which really isn't healthy at all.

If you didn't go to university, do you regret not going? If so and why?
Reply 1
Nope, I don't regret not having a ton of debt to pay off.

You don't need a degree to get a good paying job, you just need to be 'not dense'.
I wouldn't regret not going to uni. I wouldn't pay thousands of pounds a year just to enjoy the social aspect of uni. I would go to get a degree and get a career that I will know that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. Yes, maybe you could regret it a bit. But look at yourself, all that hard work. You should be proud of what you have achieved and not your friends.

-MrMackyTv

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending