The Student Room Group

Nursing placements

I'm currently applying for the 2015 intake to study mental health nursing at either King's college, Uni of Manchester, Uni of Leeds, City London and Sheffield Hallam. I'm torn between Manchester, Leeds and King's because I've heard some bad things about the placements for nursing in Manchester! I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the placements there and whether you feel you get the best training from them as you can!
Original post by em-mitch
I'm currently applying for the 2015 intake to study mental health nursing at either King's college, Uni of Manchester, Uni of Leeds, City London and Sheffield Hallam. I'm torn between Manchester, Leeds and King's because I've heard some bad things about the placements for nursing in Manchester! I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the placements there and whether you feel you get the best training from them as you can!

Unfortunately, I can't offer any personal experience as I don't study there, nor am I part of mental health branch, however I could recommend that you go to the Care Quality Commission website, and look up their latest inspect report on the trusts that you are torn between.

May I ask specifics about the "bad things" that you have heard? I may be able to put them into perspective :smile:
Reply 2
I'm a 2nd year Adult Nursing student, about to go out on placement 5. I've had excellent and miserable experiences on placement, as have most of my cohort and other qualified and non-qualified friends. Bad placements happen in all branches of nursing, unfortunately. As you will learn, good and bad experiences are an essential part of being a nurse and you will find yourself reflecting on them (reflection is a big deal in nursing!). Bad placements will happen but it's how you deal with them that counts. Get support from the link lecturer and your personal tutor but above all, don't let it get you down. I had a placement that ended every day with me sitting in floods of tears in my car. Not nice but I learnt a lot from it. It taught me how NOT to be a nurse/mentor.

Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by roobie72
I'm a 2nd year Adult Nursing student, about to go out on placement 5. I've had excellent and miserable experiences on placement, as have most of my cohort and other qualified and non-qualified friends. Bad placements happen in all branches of nursing, unfortunately. As you will learn, good and bad experiences are an essential part of being a nurse and you will find yourself reflecting on them (reflection is a big deal in nursing!). Bad placements will happen but it's how you deal with them that counts. Get support from the link lecturer and your personal tutor but above all, don't let it get you down. I had a placement that ended every day with me sitting in floods of tears in my car. Not nice but I learnt a lot from it. It taught me how NOT to be a nurse/mentor.

Good luck!

That's a very good answer - far better than mine! Good stuff! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending