The Student Room Group

My A level choices for Law- Some advice please

CLOSED.

Many thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Hi,

My friend does Law at Warwick University, and I know that she did History, Chemistry, Psychology and English for her A levels. I was going to recommend doing English because it really does help you form a set of skills such as analysis, extensive vocabulary, and academic writing, however I do believe History is another subject where these skills can also be obtained.

Three out of the four subjects you have chosen are essay-based which is good considering it will help develop your ability to read widely as well as write. Psychology is a good choice because it really does give you insight into who we are as individuals, but also draws upon different types of people and situations which you may come across or experience throughout your life.

I can see how religious studies can be useful as well, but I'm not completely sure as I have not done it at A level myself. But it does seem interesting!

I think all the subjects you have chosen link to law in some form or another, however I doubt maths would be a subject which contributes to your understanding of law. But by all means, if you enjoy it then go for it!

Good luck :smile:
Frankly most university's don't care exactly what a levels you do the main worry is employers in the future if you wan't to go into a law career. In terms of a levels that prepare you for studying law anything where you write essays and critically analyze. History and Psychology fit the bill perfectly for us you quote sources and then you analyse them. Politics would give you a small head start doing English legal systems and eu law but not so great that others are at a disadvantage. If you are good at a subject and enjoy like your maths and RS then do them at a level because you will be more likely to get a good grade. if you are predicted a's at gsce you should be fine if you work hard at a level you will be able to get into a good uni no problems so i wouldn't worry about that side of things. The thing i would say is once exams are over do everything in your power to get some legal based work experience even if its just photocopying in the local high street firm one day a week. if you start now that is what will set you apart from the crowd when it comes to looking a jobs when you get to my stage (3rd year llb) You won't be the only one with good grades and good degree what will set you out from the rest is work experince. If your doing gcse now then I think it is very admirable that you already know what you want to do at uni so i am basing all my advice on that assumption that you want to go into a career in law. if you do take my advice it will be the best thing you do in the long run. there is no substitute for work experience and knowledge. If you can't get in at a firm by writing or emailing try a charity like CAB or another advice agency if that doesn't work dress up smartly and go down the crown court or the magistrates or even the employment tribunal watch for a few afternoons if a barrister or a solicitor sees you there a few times they will probably chat to you, tell them what you are interested in, remember most of them where you once upon a time and will try and help if they can. Im not saying this is a guarantee but I do guarantee that good academics alone will only get you so far. I'm sorry if this feels like a lecture but i just wish i could go back in time and give myself this advice. would save me a lot of stress right now.
There is no requirement to do English Literature at A Level in order to study law. Of much more importance is that you do subjects that you enjoy and/or will get good grades in. The choices that you have listed there are perfectly appropriate.
Reply 4
Hi,

A2 student here hoping to do Law at Queen Mary next year, my A-Level choices were:
Geography
History
Economics
Maths

Some unis require at least a B in English for your GCSEs so be careful when you're applying for unis. Also, I don't think Psychology and RS counts as 'hard' subjects (traditional subjects) by unis so they may discount them, so just beware of that fact. For me, I think essays subjects really helped me, especially taking the LNAT (Law aptitude test required by certain unis) but I think History and Maths are good choices. :smile:

Best of luck with your GCSEs, A-Levels, and your uni application. If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a message. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending