The Student Room Group

When to say Hi to someone?

I was in the Gym speaking to someone whereby this individual said hi to a personal trainer when we were speaking.

Would it have been appropriate for me to acknowledge him by saying Hi as well or would this be construed as being overtly nice?

Please help me as I use to have very poor social skills and am attempting to build on these skills now.
Reply 1
I wouldn't say hi to the person, seems they have a relationship with the personal trainer - not you.
If however they looked at you then yes, smiling and saying hi is fine if not expected.

If you want to know the person you could always go up later to them and use that scenario as the means for conversation
e.g. "Hi, I saw you as you went by and said hi to *personal trainers name*. How do you know him/her?"
...and flow from there.
If the personal trainer's talking to him and him only, whether you say hi or not makes no difference
Personally I wouldn't say anything untill either

1. Introduced by the trainer in which case I would say Hi, shake his hand ect...

2. If they look at me in which case again I would shake there hand and introduce myself
Reply 4
I probably wouldn't say anything, though I'd probably smile. But if you did say hi it'd be no big deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending