The Student Room Group

Helping a depressed guy ?

Hey,

I hope everyone reading this is having a great day. I basically need some advice. There is a guy who I don't know to a close friend or even really friend level. However I am close with his sister. ( only 2 years age difference ). He is 23 and is a very VERY private man. I've always been one of these people who picks up on people's energy very easily and I could tell something was off. So I reached out to my friend ( his sister ) and said is anything up and she said she feels like there is but nobody can get in his head he dosent speak about things. But when I messaged him ... he told me quite a lot of what he was feeling and was very surprisingly open. He said he doswnt speak to anyone about stuff but he is definitely very depressed and won't go get proffesional help. I want to check up on him daily as I feel a sense of responsibility to him as I'm the only one. But I'm confused as to firstly , why speak to me out of everyone ? And B. How can I help him without seeming like I'm constantly checking on him and nosing on his life ??
Hey,

It's great to see your concern and willingness to support someone in need. It's not uncommon for people to open up to unexpected individuals during difficult times. Perhaps he felt a level of trust and comfort with you that made him more willing to share his feelings. As for helping him without appearing intrusive, maintaining a balance is key. You can check in on him daily, but also respect his boundaries and give him space when needed. Let him know that you're there for him and willing to listen whenever he wants to talk, but avoid pressuring him or prying into his personal life. Encourage him to seek professional help as it can make a significant difference, but ultimately it's his decision. Sometimes, simply being a supportive and non-judgmental friend can make a positive impact. Remember to take care of yourself too, as supporting someone with depression can be emotionally challenging.
Maybe he could be speaking to you because he feels comfortable with you. Or maybe he doesn't want to speak with his friends or family as he doesn't want to feel judged, so he is speaking to someone who barely knows him. Depression is a hard thing. The best thing you can do for him is to be there for him. As you suggest, it is important to check up on him often. However, if you are doing this daily, make sure this is not the only reason for contact (i.e. also be a friend to him) or else there is the risk you come off as having a similar impression to a mental health professional, who you say he doesn't want to see. Ask him how he's feeling, but also what he did today, if he watched the latest film or how he feels about something in the news - anything to spice up the conversation a bit.

Also, respect his boundaries - do keep in frequent contact with him, but also acknowledge when he feels uncomfortable or doesn't want to talk anymore. Opening up is hard, so make sure to reassure him and accept when he doesn't feel like talking. He will have both good and bad days, and sometimes he may lash out, but you should remember that this isn't the real him and try to stick by him, however difficult this may be. I would maybe recommend telling his sister that he is confiding in you (but not what he is saying), just for good measure.

I really hope this helps, and feel free to reply or PM me :heart:
Reply 3
Original post by taylor2317
Maybe he could be speaking to you because he feels comfortable with you. Or maybe he doesn't want to speak with his friends or family as he doesn't want to feel judged, so he is speaking to someone who barely knows him. Depression is a hard thing. The best thing you can do for him is to be there for him. As you suggest, it is important to check up on him often. However, if you are doing this daily, make sure this is not the only reason for contact (i.e. also be a friend to him) or else there is the risk you come off as having a similar impression to a mental health professional, who you say he doesn't want to see. Ask him how he's feeling, but also what he did today, if he watched the latest film or how he feels about something in the news - anything to spice up the conversation a bit.

Also, respect his boundaries - do keep in frequent contact with him, but also acknowledge when he feels uncomfortable or doesn't want to talk anymore. Opening up is hard, so make sure to reassure him and accept when he doesn't feel like talking. He will have both good and bad days, and sometimes he may lash out, but you should remember that this isn't the real him and try to stick by him, however difficult this may be. I would maybe recommend telling his sister that he is confiding in you (but not what he is saying), just for good measure.

I really hope this helps, and feel free to reply or PM me :heart:

Hey , thankyou for your amazing reply🥰

I will take your advice in hope I don't come across like overbearing and clingy. His sister isn't aware we are talking but she has actually told me a lot about his past which a lot of it sounds..... unimaginable. He hasn't told me about this but he is aware that she has been telling me things. I was just really surprised he told me anything. I guess I'm just worried about coming across weird / overbearing and making him pull away if that makes sense. Obviously that's by far the last thing I want xx
Reply 4
Original post by WhoStoleMyName?
Hey,

It's great to see your concern and willingness to support someone in need. It's not uncommon for people to open up to unexpected individuals during difficult times. Perhaps he felt a level of trust and comfort with you that made him more willing to share his feelings. As for helping him without appearing intrusive, maintaining a balance is key. You can check in on him daily, but also respect his boundaries and give him space when needed. Let him know that you're there for him and willing to listen whenever he wants to talk, but avoid pressuring him or prying into his personal life. Encourage him to seek professional help as it can make a significant difference, but ultimately it's his decision. Sometimes, simply being a supportive and non-judgmental friend can make a positive impact. Remember to take care of yourself too, as supporting someone with depression can be emotionally challenging.

Thankyou for your detailed reply 🥰,

Yes of course I want to help him as much as I can. I think balance Is the really important thing I'm scared to get wrong. Because ik hes normally so incredibly reserved I'm worried saying the wrong thing or too much might completely shut him off if that makes sense? I don't know weather to wait to see if he reaches out again or if i should check on him? Xx
Original post by Anonymous
Thankyou for your detailed reply 🥰,

Yes of course I want to help him as much as I can. I think balance Is the really important thing I'm scared to get wrong. Because ik hes normally so incredibly reserved I'm worried saying the wrong thing or too much might completely shut him off if that makes sense? I don't know weather to wait to see if he reaches out again or if i should check on him? Xx

You're welcome! Finding the right balance is indeed crucial when supporting someone who is going through a difficult time. It's completely understandable to feel concerned about saying the wrong thing or overwhelming him with too much information. It's important to respect his boundaries and let him take the lead in opening up further.

You can let him know that you're there for him and ready to listen whenever he feels comfortable sharing. Reassure him that you genuinely care about his well-being and that you're available whenever he needs someone to talk to. By offering your support without pressure, you create a safe space for him to reach out when he's ready.

At the same time, it's okay to occasionally check in on him, but make sure to do so in a casual and non-intrusive way. A simple message expressing your concern and asking how he's doing can show that you care without being overwhelming. Remember to be patient and understanding, as everyone copes with things differently and in their own time.

Continue being a supportive friend, and always prioritize his comfort and well-being. Just knowing that you're there for him can make a positive difference. Take care of yourself too, as supporting others can be emotionally challenging. If you ever need any advice or further support, don't hesitate to reach out. :grin:
Original post by Anonymous
Hey , thankyou for your amazing reply🥰

I will take your advice in hope I don't come across like overbearing and clingy. His sister isn't aware we are talking but she has actually told me a lot about his past which a lot of it sounds..... unimaginable. He hasn't told me about this but he is aware that she has been telling me things. I was just really surprised he told me anything. I guess I'm just worried about coming across weird / overbearing and making him pull away if that makes sense. Obviously that's by far the last thing I want xx

Thanks so much!

As I said, the most important thing is to simply be a friend to him. I wish both you and him good luck, and do feel free to reach out if you need to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending