The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

University of sheffield Firmers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emilymhxx
Chemistry anyone?

yes!! I firmed Chemistry :smile: which course did you opt for? ( industry or year abroad)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by HauwaMo
Anyone for BioEngineering??

Yes! I was getting worried there wasn't anyone else!
Music :smile:
economics! :smile:
Is there a gym and athletics track nearby? I've chosen endcliffe
I think on one of the uni videos it said the sports centre was roughly halfway between the accommodation and the uni. There's a gym there that looks decent, don't know about an athletics track.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aerospace engineering with Pilot Pilot Instruction, I noticed there are a lot of other aerospace applicants here too which is great! Also applied for Endcliffe
Original post by curtis110
Is there a gym and athletics track nearby? I've chosen endcliffe

There's a gym on campus and the Uni's athletics team train at Woodburn road athletics track which appears to be about 2 miles from the campus, do you do athletics?
No one doing Bsc Geo???! I firmed it back in january hahaha. Hoping to get AAB but the way my english lit and lang exam went its more likely to be AAC hahahahaha. Hoping they'll let me in anyway considering they offered me a place about 10 hours after I applied hahahahahaha!!! And because there's no cap on places now, they will hopefully be a tiny bit more lenient. I've applied for Endcliffe I think!!!!!
aerospace engineering applied for endcliffe:fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller:
need to make sure i get my grade first though.:facepalm:
Is anyone else doing Btec?
Original post by Interzone Agent
I think on one of the uni videos it said the sports centre was roughly halfway between the accommodation and the uni. There's a gym there that looks decent, don't know about an athletics track.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The gym there is decent but it's awfully expensive, might be worth looking into Hallam Active, similar distance from Endcliffe but £40 cheaper for the year even if you can't convince them they should give you Hallam student price :tongue:

Original post by GenkMaster
aerospace engineering applied for endcliffe:fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller::fatcontroller:
need to make sure i get my grade first though.:facepalm:
Is anyone else doing Btec?

Original post by dannyoboy007
Aerospace engineering with Pilot Pilot Instruction, I noticed there are a lot of other aerospace applicants here too which is great! Also applied for Endcliffe

This is going to sound harsh but if you're doing BTEC I'd advise you take a gap year and do some A levels or a reputable access course during that time, I knew quite a lot of people who've started engineering programs at Sheffield with a btec background and to put it lightly it doesn't go well. This is ignoring the fact that the aerospace course at Sheffield is not very well run at all, there's a reason why it has such a high drop out/failure rate, which in itself is a hint to find another course at Sheffield or look for aerospace elsewhere.
orthoptics
Original post by hattiebranson01
No one doing Bsc Geo???! I firmed it back in january hahaha. Hoping to get AAB but the way my english lit and lang exam went its more likely to be AAC hahahahaha. Hoping they'll let me in anyway considering they offered me a place about 10 hours after I applied hahahahahaha!!! And because there's no cap on places now, they will hopefully be a tiny bit more lenient. I've applied for Endcliffe I think!!!!!

Ah I've applied for geography BSc too :-)
Original post by Helloworld_95
The gym there is decent but it's awfully expensive, might be worth looking into Hallam Active, similar distance from Endcliffe but £40 cheaper for the year even if you can't convince them they should give you Hallam student price :tongue: .

Hah, cheers mate, I'll check it out when I get to Shef.

I've applied for pilot instruction too! Really looking forward to it! What A-levels do you take?
This is going to sound harsh but if you're doing BTEC I'd advise you take a gap year and do some A levels or a reputable access course during that time, I knew quite a lot of people who've started engineering programs at Sheffield with a btec background and to put it lightly it doesn't go well. This is ignoring the fact that the aerospace course at Sheffield is not very well run at all, there's a reason why it has such a high drop out/failure rate, which in itself is a hint to find another course at Sheffield or look for aerospace elsewhere.

Well it's a bit late to change now seeing as we've already firmed it on ucas? Whats so bad about it anyway? They've been consistently ranked as top 10 on the complete university guide for aerospace and are one of the top unis in its field.
Original post by EmiratesCaptain
Well it's a bit late to change now seeing as we've already firmed it on ucas? Whats so bad about it anyway? They've been consistently ranked as top 10 on the complete university guide for aerospace and are one of the top unis in its field.

The course is atrociously run, there's no dedicated Aerospace department like at other unis and the department we do have (called the IPO) is not organised at all, we've literally received notifications of things an hour before they were supposed to happen. Notes are also provided at the disgression of module leaders which in practice means that the IPO has to buy them (which they don't always do, especially for the MEC modules, which is a serious pain), and they then hand them out at the IPO office which is quite a small place so on occasion they just tell everyone who has come to collect notes to come back later if it gets too busy. And yeah at the beginning of the year they give a presentation to show how hard it is although what it's really showing is the pass rate, which works out to about 60% year-on-year.

Then for how the modules themselves are run, for two of them so far there are no solutions available for their exam papers, for MEC192 the available solutions are horrendously wrong a lot of the time and despite them having been like this for 3 years so far they haven't changed it, and the marks available for questions can vary wildly e.g. for one question with the exact same wording it was 12 marks in one exam and 3 marks in another. There's also a bunch of lecturers who frankly can't teach, and again they try scare tactics with things like half of the people who take this exam will fail it.

For the content, you don't really do much aerospace in the first year or 2, you have AER120 for the first 7 weeks and that's it really, and like most of the other modules a quick look on wikipedia will show it's unnecessarily dumbed down at times. The equipment for labs is also quite old and doesn't really work properly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EmiratesCaptain
I've applied for pilot instruction too! Really looking forward to it! What A-levels do you take?

Same here, just really hoping I get the grades! I studied maths, physics, and geography. The course seems really interesting, I went to Manchester and I just didn't like the feel of it, and it felt like there was more of an emphasis on drones than aircraft. Also, I'm considering becoming a pilot (with a degree behind me in case it didn't work out), and so doing aerospace with PPI seemed the best call, along with hopefully joining the UAS and any aero/flying societies. I'm guessing you've flown before right? I'm in air cadets so we've done a lot of flying there and I got my wings for going solo last December in a Grob Heron, had to take 2 weeks out of school for it though. Did my last exam today so now it's just a really long summer lol. I need some stuff to watch or do so I'm not completely bored, even though I didn't think I'd ever be bored given the past few months
(edited 8 years ago)
The course is atrociously run, there's no dedicated Aerospace department like at other unis and the department we do have (called the IPO) is not organised at all, we've literally received notifications of things an hour before they were supposed to happen. Notes are also provided at the disgression of module leaders which in practice means that the IPO has to buy them (which they don't always do, especially for the MEC modules, which is a serious pain), and they then hand them out at the IPO office which is quite a small place so on occasion they just tell everyone who has come to collect notes to come back later if it gets too busy. And yeah at the beginning of the year they give a presentation to show how hard it is although what it's really showing is the pass rate, which works out to about 60% year-on-year.

Then for how the modules themselves are run, for two of them so far there are no solutions available for their exam papers, for MEC192 the available solutions are horrendously wrong a lot of the time and despite them having been like this for 3 years so far they haven't changed it, and the marks available for questions can vary wildly e.g. for one question with the exact same wording it was 12 marks in one exam and 3 marks in another. There's also a bunch of lecturers who frankly can't teach, and again they try scare tactics with things like half of the people who take this exam will fail it.

For the content, you don't really do much aerospace in the first year or 2, you have AER120 for the first 7 weeks and that's it really, and like most of the other modules a quick look on wikipedia will show it's unnecessarily dumbed down at times. The equipment for labs is also quite old and doesn't really work properly.

Do you think a lot of this will still stand with the opening of The Diamond? Surely all the new facilities and such will change this slightly, and I'd imagine they would need a big change-up in the department to accommodate for all these new facilities
Do you think a lot of this will still stand with the opening of The Diamond? Surely all the new facilities and such will change this slightly, and I'd imagine they would need a big change-up in the department to accommodate for all these new facilities

AFAIK most of the engineering faculty is staying where they are and the Diamond is mostly for desperately needed extra space for students as the other libraries are pretty much overflowing. It should help with some of the equipment but I think aerospace students won't benefit as much as other disciplines, partly because some departments are getting space in there that they don't really need. When it comes to how everything is run, I'm not sure, it seems to have been a problem for at least the last couple of years which isn't really long enough to tell if it's related to the changes involving moving to the Diamond or not.

edit: also, just saw your other post, Sheffield's course is fairly drone oriented too (e.g.if you're doing the masters you have to do a big group project on building one and the big society for Aero, called Simurq, does a lot of work on drones), although seeing as that's the way things are going I'd disagree it's a bad thing. I'm also pretty sure Sheffield doesn't have a UAS, and for the pilot idea, I don't think I know anyone left on the course who still wants to be a pilot so it will definitely test your dedication.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending