The Student Room Group

Best way to revise for HIS3D British Monarchy: The Crisis of the State, 1642–1689?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jking2711
Surprisingly nice, did 1 and 2.

Magnus, I really hope you get it based on what you've said! Hope 'defo got my a' doesn't come back to bite you in the arse!

What did you write for Q2? I did religion, finance , short term opposition success such as Venner rising Lambert rising and Charles victory in exclusion
Original post by Magnus Taylor
What did you write for Q2? I did religion, finance , short term opposition success such as Venner rising Lambert rising and Charles victory in exclusion

Short term successes
Short term failures
Long term successes
Long term failures

Then tied it together to evaluate the view - basically too simplistic to see it as success and failure.
Short term successes
Short term failures
Long term successes
Long term failures

Then tied it together to evaluate the view - basically too simplistic to see it as success and failure.

I argued it was short term success ( beating opposition like Venner ) and long term failure ( religion, finance) and then evaluated with long term success (Charles victory in exclusion strengthened his position)
(edited 8 years ago)
I argued it was short term success ( beating opposition like Venner ) and long term failure ( religion, finance) and then evaluated with long term success (Charles victory in exclusion strengthened his position)

I said partly successful in the short term - Republicanism (Venner), then regained prerogative powers etc. hearth tax etc. But then mentioned how the 1673 Test Act placed limitations on the monarchy, JDofY and Clifford having to resign (downfall of the Cabal). Also the fact the financial expedients of the 1630s such as Ship money still remained illegal along with the Star Chamber.

Then mainly a failure in the long term - Glorious Revolution showed how weak the foundations of the monarchy were, but said that C2 managed to reign for 25 years, dealing with the Exclusion etc. Also the fact the GR only made the throne 'vacant' according to the Convention parliament whereas there was the abolition of the monarchy in 49.
(edited 8 years ago)
I said partly successful in the short term - Republicanism (Venner), then regained prerogative powers etc. hearth tax etc. But then mentioned how the 1673 Test Act placed limitations on the monarchy, JDofY and Clifford having to resign (downfall of the Cabal). Also the fact the financial expedients of the 1630s such as Ship money still remained illegal along with the Star Chamber.

Then mainly a failure in the long term - Glorious Revolution showed how weak the foundations of the monarchy were, but said that C2 managed to reign for 25 years, dealing with the Exclusion etc. Also the fact the GR only made the throne 'vacant' according to the Convention parliament whereas there was the abolition of the monarchy in 49.

It was 1660-1685 I didn't think Gr could be included because it was outside the time period. But however I like your other arguments and how you also mentioned exclusion
It was 1660-1685 I didn't think Gr could be included because it was outside the time period. But however I like your other arguments and how you also mentioned exclusion

You could use GR as reason for failure - shows the monarchy was weak.
You could use GR as reason for failure - shows the monarchy was weak.

I did failures as religion and finance
Success overcoming opposition both in 1660-7 and 1678-85
In question 2, if you include the failing Second Dutch War as one of the factors in causing the restoration settlement to be a failure in the short-term, is that alright?

You could still have it as a synoptic link as it's outside the time period
[QUOTE=pie-inator;56806159]You could still have it as a synoptic link as it's outside the time period

I see i just kept myself within the period to be safe
Just glad that the exam is over for good :smile:
Reply 51
Synoptic was q2

What is it that makes a question especially synoptic? When I answer questions I tend to stick within the time period it states, is there something else I should be doing as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending