The Student Room Group

Perfectionist and analytical minded bad?

My uni tutor said she noticed I'm very 'analytical minded' and a 'perfectionist'. The thing is that I never saw myself like that before until she mentioned it. Are these bad traits to have in a person? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes yes and yes. This is a negative trait.

You might be judging people and have a perfectionist personality: this might lead you to hating your friends when e.g. they don't take out the rubbish or you might develop some depressions because you had 2.1s instead of expected firsts.

I would chill and relax a bit about uni stuff and attitudes. Though still aim for a first.

I am jealous that no tutor in my first year told me that and you should be thankful that he/she pointed that out early.
Reply 2
Original post by Masoudy
Yes yes and yes. This is a negative trait.

You might be judging people and have a perfectionist personality: this might lead you to hating your friends when e.g. they don't take out the rubbish or you might develop some depressions because you had 2.1s instead of expected firsts.

I would chill and relax a bit about uni stuff and attitudes. Though still aim for a first.

I am jealous that no tutor in my first year told me that and you should be thankful that he/she pointed that out early.

Thanks for your response :smile: That's the thing, I aim to do the best I can (at the mo, I've got firsts so far) but I wouldn't mind as much if I did get 2:1 for anything. I guess I can be judgmental but I don't voice what I'm thinking much so how would the tutor know? She seems to think I might not accept failure but I don't think that's the case for me. I have no idea why she associates perfectionism with me. The only thing I can think of is on my assignments they don't find any grammar or spelling mistakes etc especially in comparison to my peers who recently didn't achieve anything above a C. Does a higher mark equate to being a 'perfectionist' or 'analytical minded'?
Reply 3
Original post by Gott
Of course analytical mindedness is positive unless your autistic

I'm not autistic. How is being analytically minded a positive thing?
Reply 4
Original post by Gott
It means your intelligent, do you like science for instance or history?

I do like history but she doesn't know that. I didn't realise that's another way to call someone intelligent :colondollar: I honestly thought maybe it had negative connotations. Thanks for clearing that up :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
My uni tutor said she noticed I'm very 'analytical minded' and a 'perfectionist'. The thing is that I never saw myself like that before until she mentioned it. Are these bad traits to have in a person? :confused:

I think they're fantastic traits to have. Its better than being neutral and un-observant about the world around you.
Reply 6
Original post by Emily.97
I think they're fantastic traits to have. Its better than being neutral and un-observant about the world around you.

Ah ok :smile: i guess there are worse things to be called
Reply 7
Original post by Gott
I imagine the only may you could take it as an insult would be it having connotations to being cold but that's basicly calling you autistic (which she wouldn't do any way and I thought she were to me I'd jolly well... control my anger :wink:). Have a watch of this, Jonathan Meades is probably one of the most logical and analytical figures I know of and he is a model of intelligence...

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3EE98C1872ED05B9

Thanks for that, I agree, he does seem really intelligent :smile: I like his sense of humour
Reply 8
Thanks for your response :smile: That's the thing, I aim to do the best I can (at the mo, I've got firsts so far) but I wouldn't mind as much if I did get 2:1 for anything. I guess I can be judgmental but I don't voice what I'm thinking much so how would the tutor know? She seems to think I might not accept failure but I don't think that's the case for me. I have no idea why she associates perfectionism with me. The only thing I can think of is on my assignments they don't find any grammar or spelling mistakes etc especially in comparison to my peers who recently didn't achieve anything above a C. Does a higher mark equate to being a 'perfectionist' or 'analytical minded'?

Grr I don't wanna sound like negative person, but you pointed out the 'I am better than everyone here' things. You might have not said it but you typed it.

This means you recognise your superiority above your peers. Which is bad as it really backfires when you say that to anyone or if your friends think you are better than them.

One piece of wisdom I heard was 'Leaders of any clan are not unintelligent. They might act in an unintelligent matter so that others would react in a positive way to the perceived unintelligence.'

They are analytical minded but act like they're oblivious.
Reply 9
Original post by Masoudy
Grr I don't wanna sound like negative person, but you pointed out the 'I am better than everyone here' things. You might have not said it but you typed it.

This means you recognise your superiority above your peers. Which is bad as it really backfires when you say that to anyone or if your friends think you are better than them.

One piece of wisdom I heard was 'Leaders of any clan are not unintelligent. They might act in an unintelligent matter so that others would react in a positive way to the perceived unintelligence.'

They are analytical minded but act like they're oblivious.

No, that's ok, I appreciate your feedback. What you're saying is giving me insight that I'm obviously blind to. I hope I don't come across like some pompous ass that acts superior to everyone. For all I know, I might unconsciously do it. I still don't think I'm a perfectionist though since I don't aim for perfection, just try my best
every personality trait can be bad when taken to an extreme, there's nothing wrong with being a little perfectionistic as long as you're not so caught up in it that you're unhappy

It is good to maintain the capacity to be logical and detail-orientated, but make sure that you cultivate an awareness of your ability to be that way so it doesn't consume you. You aren't likely to get on well in the world of work if you're like that at all times and in all situations.

Don't throw it away, but keep it in your back pocket.
If I assume correctly this comment was regarding your course.Its a positive.Your tutor has not explained what his/her real issue is.
If it was regarding this behaviour towards commentry on people its a negative.

As for it bieng a negative in autism, it is a positive in autism.It helps the person focus releasing seratonins in what is otherwise a very confusing frightening world.
They are both positive and negative. You should learn to relax a bit though, as you'll have a tough life if you don't.
Original post by TurboCretin
It is good to maintain the capacity to be logical and detail-orientated, but make sure that you cultivate an awareness of your ability to be that way so it doesn't consume you. You aren't likely to get on well in the world of work if you're like that at all times and in all situations.

Don't throw it away, but keep it in your back pocket.

Yes, I think keeping a good balance would be key to not messing up.
Original post by Iwanttohugyou
If I assume correctly this comment was regarding your course.Its a positive.Your tutor has not explained what his/her real issue is.
If it was regarding this behaviour towards commentry on people its a negative.

As for it bieng a negative in autism, it is a positive in autism.It helps the person focus releasing seratonins in what is otherwise a very confusing frightening world.

I don't think she has an issue with it, at least I hope not. It just caught me off guard when she described me this way because I have never thought myself to be those things. I don't usually speak about other people in class so I don't think it's connected to my behaviour, most likely my work.
Original post by qwertyking
They are both positive and negative. You should learn to relax a bit though, as you'll have a tough life if you don't.

I agree, I think I should take it easy on a lot of things. I end up over-thinking and that probably comes across to some people like my tutor. I'm actually more chilled out when I'm at home, but at uni I might seem different, I don't know :confused:
I'm not autistic. How is being analytically minded a positive thing?

I fail to see how it could be interpreted as bad lol.
Yes, I think keeping a good balance would be key to not messing up.

That's what I'm saying...
I agree, I think I should take it easy on a lot of things. I end up over-thinking and that probably comes across to some people like my tutor. I'm actually more chilled out when I'm at home, but at uni I might seem different, I don't know :confused:

Maybe that's not a bad thing then. I over-think and worry to a ridiculous degree - I'm trying to relax myself, but it isn't always easy! Honestly, don't stress about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending