The Student Room Group

I love my boyfriend, but...

We've been dating around 6 months, before this we were a "will they wont they" pair of friends- think Ross and Rachel. Our relationship has been pretty good and I love him (although I haven't told him this as I'm worried he doesn't love me back), I'm just confused.

As he is my first boyfriend, I feel like I should have dated lots of other people to get a grasp of what a relationship should be like on principle, but on the other hand I don't want to break up with my boyfriend. I have absolutely no idea if we're a couple that could last as we're only 18, I just feel like the relationship is bad timing. A relationship like this 10 years later would be perfect. I just wonder if it's worth staying in this relationship if I don't feel like we'll be together long term, is it better to cut loose? I mean I love him a great deal and the relationship is great but I feel like perhaps it's better to face heartache now so I might find Mr Right sooner.

I realise we're only 6 months in and I'm over thinking this significantly as I'm only 18 but I just need to vent these feelings as I don't feel like I can talk to anyone about this.

I just want anyone who feels/has felt like this to just give me some advice please.
Reply 1
What is it about the relationship that you don't like? Why don't you think it will last?
Original post by Anonymous
We've been dating around 6 months, before this we were a "will they wont they" pair of friends- think Ross and Rachel. Our relationship has been pretty good and I love him (although I haven't told him this as I'm worried he doesn't love me back), I'm just confused.

As he is my first boyfriend, I feel like I should have dated lots of other people to get a grasp of what a relationship should be like on principle, but on the other hand I don't want to break up with my boyfriend. I have absolutely no idea if we're a couple that could last as we're only 18, I just feel like the relationship is bad timing. A relationship like this 10 years later would be perfect. I just wonder if it's worth staying in this relationship if I don't feel like we'll be together long term, is it better to cut loose? I mean I love him a great deal and the relationship is great but I feel like perhaps it's better to face heartache now so I might find Mr Right sooner.

I realise we're only 6 months in and I'm over thinking this significantly as I'm only 18 but I just need to vent these feelings as I don't feel like I can talk to anyone about this.

I just want anyone who feels/has felt like this to just give me some advice please.

This could indicate your feelings to him aren't that strong, or you're just approaching the whole thing a bit fatalistically. I think you shouldn't be thining about the relationship in the context of your whole life. If it's making you happy, do it. If not, change it. If you feel this relationship is holding you back, why is that? If not, there's no reason to end it.

Edit- I did feel a little like that towards the start of my relationship, just because I'd really been enjoying being single. But I never seriously thought about ending it, it was just something that was at the back of my mind a bit. Now I'm more used to being in a relationship, and I'm in a less fun enviroment (post uni) it isn't a concern.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

What makes you think it won't last if it's a good relationship?

A lot of people don't stay with people they meet at your age, but that's not to say you should definitely get out of it. If I were you and there's no problems with the relationship, I'd stay with him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending