The Student Room Group

E.E in Eco

Hi everybody!
I'm doing my extended essay on Economics and I had no idea on what to do it until now. What do you think of that subject? "What impact does the invention of MP3 has had and continue to has on the sell of cds?" or something like that ( I don't really know if the question looks clear like that) =S .
I have a supervisor but he does't help me at all :mad: so if you have any suggestion or idea that I could use to do my extended, it could be very useful to me!! :biggrin:
Thanks a lot.
It sounds rather narrow...can you really write 4000 words on that? I dont know, my first impression was that it gives so little to write on, but I dont do Econ so...
Reply 2
No I know there is a lot of thing to talk about but I really need your advice!! What do you think? I could talk about elasticity and all that stuff... maybe?
It's gotta be finish for the 24th!!! Pleaseee help mee!!! :eek:
Reply 3
24th of December?

First things first, you need to be able to get raw data for your EE. Can you do that? Any ideas?
Reply 4
I think it seems like a good topic. For what its worth, my school strongly discourages against EEs in Economics, because they are marked with very specific criteria that are easy to mess up on. Apparantly most of the Econ EEs that go from our school come back as Cs and Ds.

I think the key is finding something for which you can get sufficient raw data for.
http://www.ashbury.on.ca/senior/academics/ib/essays.cfm

i think you might want to look at redefining your 'mp3' because when you rip from a CD you get an mp3 potentially. maybe if you said internet music downloads. a survey of who downloads music might be in order or something like that.
Reply 6

Every time I see threads about economics I just wonder about what could have been if I had had the option to study it. :frown:
Reply 7
Thank You Andy, it's a good point u made here!! I'ma change mp3 by what you've said.
Humm I don't really know what a row data is. can someone explain it to me? or if someone knows how to say it in french :s-smilie:
I wanted to ask shops where they sell cds like virgin megastore or other if they can give me the results of their selling for each year since there has been "internet music download", what do you think? I can also talk about elasticity but I don't really know where to start... If only somebody could help me :frown: I'm desperate, I'm really not good at economics and I did my extended in eco only because my father told me to....I had no choice :frown:
By the way, thank y'all very much!!
Reply 8
As most people here have pointed out already, raw-data is crucial for an economics ee. Raw data means that you need figures (from the companies in question) which you will process. My theory is though that you probably cant obtain information from all cd selling companies, so you need to narrow dont your question even more. You have to tell how SOME firms have been affected by the introduction of mp3. That is, your research has to be more focused on micro than macro economics.

The above is your base. In your essay you naturally need to state your purpose and research question, how youve narrowed it down, your sources and method. Then you need to include relevant theoris, as you mentioned yourself, for instance, theories on price and demand, elasticity, etc. When youve done this, youll have to go ahead with your analysis. Include A LOT of diagrammes. Make sure theyre clear, well labelled and all that stuff. Very important! If youve detected some deviations from your theories, MENTION it! IB loves critical thinkers. Then you conclude. Oh, and its a good thing of you put all your raw-data in an appendix. (Dont confuse this with your processed data that you will include in your essay.)
Reply 9
i reckon this is a good topic! ^^b
im doing my EE in eco too.
im suppose to write up the draft over the christmas holiday (which is NOW) and i havent even research anything!!
My topic is an investigation into how the Indian Railways uses the concept of Price Discrimination and applies it to coal, iron, cement and POL in the freight sector on account of their PEDs..my supervisor told me it was too vague...does it fulfill the required criteria???
Reply 11
Thank you saray!! you really helped me here!! Well I guess I need to start now!! =P ... I hope i'll be able to get it done for the 20th =S
If anyone has more advice or ideas for me don't hesitate!! :smile:
Reply 12
mimkmr
Thank you saray!! you really helped me here!! Well I guess I need to start now!! =P ... I hope i'll be able to get it done for the 20th =S
If anyone has more advice or ideas for me don't hesitate!! :smile:

Glad i could help :smile:
Reply 13
Hummm ... I'm really stuck, I don't know where to start and my supervisor doen't help me at all... Is there someone here who has an idea of what could be the plan of my Extended? I'm really obstructed to ask u so much questions... but I'm really lost :s-smilie:
ThanK You

Latest

Trending

Trending