The Student Room Group

Do all choices have to be the same degree?

I was wondering if all uni choices have to be exactly the same degree. For example, I want to study languages, but some universities only offer say French with European studies, whereas some others offer a single French course, or French with beginner Italian, etc.
Of all the unis I've looked at hardly any have the exact same course (in fact I don't think I've found two the same).
So how do I apply?? Do you apply for the course of your first option and then just take the most similar course available in your next option if you don't get the first?
Sorry if I'm being really stupid here ;P
Original post by MozForever
I was wondering if all uni choices have to be exactly the same degree. For example, I want to study languages, but some universities only offer say French with European studies, whereas some others offer a single French course, or French with beginner Italian, etc.
Of all the unis I've looked at hardly any have the exact same course (in fact I don't think I've found two the same).
So how do I apply?? Do you apply for the course of your first option and then just take the most similar course available in your next option if you don't get the first?

You can choose different courses - there's no restriction on that. But you might want to make sure your personal statement covers both.

PS. Your username/pic is awesome :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MozForever

You can chose 5 completely different courses if you want- although this is not advised. When applying, you just enter the course code of each different course you want to apply for at the relevant uni. UCAS don't care if they're similar or not.

If you were to go for two fairly different options (E.g. French vs History) writing your PS could be a bit of an issue, however, if you are going for 5 courses that are "French with X", then writing a PS that covers all courses should be possible. If some courses are very unusual, the uni wouldn't expect a perfectly tailored PS in most cases.
Reply 3
Oh good that makes sense :smile: Thanks - I was thinking it would be hard to find exactly the same course in more than one uni haha
Somethingbeautiful - thanks #Moz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending