The Student Room Group

What is the purpose of having sex?

Scroll to see replies

Many people have many reasons. Some for attention, some for fun, some to satisfy an addiction, some to SHOW love. There are too many to list and asking that question seems very ambiguous and vague. Why do people do anything...ever?! Everyone has a reason.
It feel really good, people connect emotionally through sex, intimacy. But, really it all stems from the fact that reproduction is really important biologically, which is what makes sex important.
You just said it's a pleasure. There you go.
Reply 23
Original post by Gott
That's not what I said. Love is most probably evolutionary also as that is the explanation for every other evolutionary development. The last question is asking me to explain love

Well, yeah I need to understand your definition of love in order to respond appropriately.

So far I get: Love = Evolution = Biology
Reply 24
Original post by Gott
Sounds like it

It's not really about me, so I'm not going to respond to that.
It's a basic human need. We need sex and it relieves of stress. It's fun, intimate and amazing. I'm not afraid to admit I like it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by enaayrah
Well maybe not physical as such but probably mental wellbeing.

Children don't apply because they've not hit puberty and developed those hormones so I'm basically talking about adults and teens.

And with asexual people, I simply have no idea :redface:

What particularly about not having sex causes problems to person of sexual maturity?

Wouldn't you say it has more to do with how others view the person getting any?
Reply 27
The obvious one is pleasure, but more than that there's the satisfaction of one's desires.

Beyond that there is the human need for physical and emotional intimacy.
It has no 'purpose' other than what people use it to do. Purposes don't exist outside minds, so in an objective sense sex only has consequences, not purposes.

People, however, use sex variously for the purposes of making babies and experiencing pleasure.
Reply 29
Original post by Gott
It's possible to understand yet not articulate. Love is the oldest philosophical problem and it is used to describe an emotional commitment of some sort. If you can give an alternative explanation to evolution then fire away, I don't see anything unsatisfactory about it tbh

My understanding of love is that it is unconditional, which doesn't really transfer very well to sex. You say love is an emotional commitment, that sounds like attachment, which is actually quite detrimental.

Sorry I didn't quite get your explanation.
Reply 30
Original post by battycatlady
It's pleasurable. I like sex. That's nothing to be ashamed of.

No one said you should feel ashamed, just trying to understand what sex is.

I know it pleasurable, but beyond that, why do we do it?

...And I'm not talking about because of baby making
Reply 31
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Money, fame and money

What, how have you worked that out?

I'm just talking about sex.
Reply 32
Original post by Gott
How is that related to asexuality? People don't adopt for all the same reasons as they have children themselves

I'm talking about people don't have sex and get by just fine.
Reply 33
Pleasure is enough of a reason to do it. No one really thinks that deeply into it, apart from baby making it's only use is pleasure. And pleasure is important! It's like eating a Big Mac, no real nutritional use of it, but it tastes good, so you eat it anyway. Also it feels really connecting and intimate. Don't think too much into these things!
Reply 34
Original post by Travisty
Many people have many reasons. Some for attention, some for fun, some to satisfy an addiction, some to SHOW love. There are too many to list and asking that question seems very ambiguous and vague. Why do people do anything...ever?! Everyone has a reason.

I believe people act out certain things differently, but, the reason why may come from the same source.

What do you mean, show love? What do you mean by love?
Reply 35
Original post by Jibola240
It feel really good, people connect emotionally through sex, intimacy. But, really it all stems from the fact that reproduction is really important biologically, which is what makes sex important.

Really? We are having children later and later in life. Rich countries have a lower birth-rate, so it can't be that important.

it does feel good, but, I'm not so sure about this deep connection thing, it only temporary, the connection is more literal than anything.
Original post by NHM713
No one said you should feel ashamed, just trying to understand what sex is.

I know it pleasurable, but beyond that, why do we do it?

...And I'm not talking about because of baby making

Does there need to be another reason? We do a lot of things simply for pleasure. We watch TV for pleasure, and read. Why not sex?
Reply 37
Original post by Gott
Clearly what he meant was that woman may commit to a relationship with men which involves sex for his money. The reason this is not seen as a good quality in the woman, not so much throwned upon is that sex is an expression of love

Why does it always end up there? Something is not quite being understood about sex, it seems.
Reply 38
Original post by kiki37
Pleasure is enough of a reason to do it. No one really thinks that deeply into it, apart from baby making it's only use is pleasure. And pleasure is important! It's like eating a Big Mac, no real nutritional use of it, but it tastes good, so you eat it anyway. Also it feels really connecting and intimate. Don't think too much into these things!

You're saying a freezing is enough to explain an action. Maybe you should think into it, you've come this far.

...and I don't think Big Macs for that reason.

Don't you want to know about yourself?
Reply 39
Original post by miser
The obvious one is pleasure, but more than that there's the satisfaction of one's desires.

Beyond that there is the human need for physical and emotional intimacy.

Why do you have to use someone else's body to fulfil your desires, sounds selfish.

Like hugging and talking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending