The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths VS Functional Skills Maths Level 2

Sorry in advance for the rambley and disjointed nature of this post. If something doesn't make sense please just say so.

I'm 19 and I'm very behind education-wise due to health issues in the past and I want to go back into education at the start of the next academic year so that I can escape from being poor and miserable (eventually). I think I will do an Access course because it will get me into uni quicker than A Levels. Problem: my GCSE grade in Maths is D (although I am confident I could achieve higher than that - Maths definitely isn't my strong point but I reckon I could get a B) which means that not all Access courses will accept me (according to their requirements that is) and universities generally want a C or higher too (I don't know if SOAS requires this? Does anyone know?).

A job adviser told me that I would be able to start a Functional Skills Level 2 course in Maths now and it would be free because I'm on Job Seeker's Allowance. I'm not sure whether to take up this offer? I believe there are colleges that would let me take GCSE Maths for free in September because I don't have the C grade but I don't know if I will end up going to one of those colleges. And I'm not sure if having an equivalent to GCSE Maths would disqualify me from getting the actual GCSE for free or with funding. I would prefer GCSE Maths to Functional Skills Maths because the GCSE Maths is better-recognized, but I also think it might be smart to take advantage of the opportunity to get a useful qualification for free while I am eligible to do so. All I'm doing at the moment with my life is applying for jobs basically, and I think it would be better to get my Maths qualification out of the way before I start my Access course in September; otherwise I'll be studying an intensive Access course and GCSE Maths at the same time plus possibly working too.

My plan is to study an Access course in Humanities, although I'm not 100% sure whether to do that, because I feel like A Levels would be better-respected by universities, but my anxiety over getting rejected by a uni cos I have an Access diploma instead of A Levels might be misplaced?? Can anyone give me an opinion on that? I really want to study Arabic at SOAS but I know that I will need to study really hard to get the grades they want (AAB!) and I think I should get a GCSE or A Level in a language to boost my application (I don't know if I will end up applying but yeah).

Advice would be realllllly appreciated thank you!

<3 <3
Original post by purplehedgehog11
My plan is to study an Access course in Humanities, although I'm not 100% sure whether to do that, because I feel like A Levels would be better-respected by universities, but my anxiety over getting rejected by a uni cos I have an Access diploma instead of A Levels might be misplaced?? Can anyone give me an opinion on that? I really want to study Arabic at SOAS but I know that I will need to study really hard to get the grades they want (AAB!) and I think I should get a GCSE or A Level in a language to boost my application (I don't know if I will end up applying but yeah).

Advice would be realllllly appreciated thank you!

<3 <3
All of my offers are for Russel Group and 1994 universities. I also know of people who got into Cambridge via Access courses.

That said, I don't know if you'd be able to apply for an ab initio language degree without an A-Level to show evidence of your language learning ability.

Also, most unis no longer accept any kind of equivalent qualification in place of GCSE Maths and English. It might be valuable for you to spend a year doing GCSE Maths and a language before doing an Access course.
Original post by kathykathykathy
All of my offers are for Russel Group and 1994 universities. I also know of people who got into Cambridge via Access courses.

That said, I don't know if you'd be able to apply for an ab initio language degree without an A-Level to show evidence of your language learning ability.

Also, most unis no longer accept any kind of equivalent qualification in place of GCSE Maths and English. It might be valuable for you to spend a year doing GCSE Maths and a language before doing an Access course.

1994 universities?

SOAS's page for Arabic says 'Subjects Preferred: A good pass in a foreign language at A-level, or equivalent, is preferred'. Is 'preferred' code for 'we will ignore any applications without this'?

Thanks for the reply. :smile:
1994 universities?

SOAS's page for Arabic says 'Subjects Preferred: A good pass in a foreign language at A-level, or equivalent, is preferred'. Is 'preferred' code for 'we will ignore any applications without this'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Group (The group disbanded about a year ago.)

I would assume that you'd be at a large disadvantage if you didn't at least have a language GCSE. However, you're best off emailing SOAS to see what they say.
Yeah I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Might be better for me to ring.
1994 universities?

If you click on the link about alternative qualifications on this page: http://www.soas.ac.uk/nme/programmes/baarabic/ you'll see that they accept Access (minimum of 30 distinctions). I would definitely phone or email them about the maths and to double-check that they are happy with whatever Access course you might be considering.

Generally, GCSE maths is a much better option than functional skills, which many universities will not accept. If you are currently unemployed, why not attend the functional skills lessons? Even if you decide to do GCSE instead, you will at least have had some useful practice before September.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
If you click on the link about alternative qualifications on this page: http://www.soas.ac.uk/nme/programmes/baarabic/ you'll see that they accept Access (minimum of 30 distinctions). I would definitely phone or email them about the maths and to double-check that they are happy with whatever Access course you might be considering.

Generally, GCSE maths is a much better option than functional skills, which many universities will not accept. If you are currently unemployed, why not attend the functional skills lessons? Even if you decide to do GCSE instead, you will at least have had some useful practice before September.

I know SOAS accept Access diplomas but I'm still concerned they'll reject me because I don't even have a language GCSE.

'Why not attend the functional skills lessons?' Because I'm worried that having studied Functional Skills will somehow affect my GCSE Maths funding. :P You're right that it's a good idea for me to practice Maths in advance though.
Reply 7
Have you achieved Functional Skills Maths yet?

I know SOAS accept Access diplomas but I'm still concerned they'll reject me because I don't even have a language GCSE.

'Why not attend the functional skills lessons?' Because I'm worried that having studied Functional Skills will somehow affect my GCSE Maths funding. :P You're right that it's a good idea for me to practice Maths in advance though.

Gaining your functional skills maths won't affect your gcse Maths funding. I have my functional skills already and I'm currently doing my GCSE maths which I don't have to pay for.
I think you do Functional Skills before you do GSCE. I had problems getting onto a course I wanted to do because it was thought that because I had Ascentis Level 1 in English and Maths I couldn't do the Functional Skills Level 1 English and Maths. When I went for an assessment I found out that this was not case and that I could still do the Functional Skills Level 1 English and Maths and that my Ascentis Level 1 was only a stepping stone to the Functional Skills at that level.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by kathykathykathy

Thank you for letting me know, I went to Open Day at Manchester University and it’s pain in the ar*se for all universities not accepting equivalent Functional Skills Level 2. I would say they accept GCSE, that where I got my confusion because couple years when I did my Business HE course, some universities was accepting English and Maths Levels 2 - now they don’t.
Depending onto Uni to Uni and how bad representation they got, if they got bad mark by authority, they might accept you depending how desperate they are LOL. I’ve read quite loads of reviews on each University I tend find they all equal guilty :wink:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending