The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scrotgrot
Well, a general climate of moderate regulation and companies accepting that moderate regulation is good and necessary is better than it coming down to "DO WHAT WE SAY OR WE LEAVE" because that's too unstable. A lot like how creeping change is better than a cycle of oppression then revolution.

Other countries in Europe of similar size, wealth and history to us are perfectly capable of taking a sensible approach to this stuff, why can't we?

No, I meant what kind of regulation i.e. examples
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
"The state's interests are more naturally aligned with the well-being of the people within that state." is just a statement unjustified by evidence. Do you think that the control that the state has over the money supply right now has been used for the well-being of ordinary people? Obviously not and what we actually see is that the money supply is manipulated to benefit the banks and the richest in society at the expense of ordinary people. We also monetary expansion just to produce booms that politicians hope will win them elections. We see this tendency of governments that have control of the money supply throughout history to devalue it against the wishes of ordinary people for the purposes of giving those in power more purchasing power. Your faith in the state doesn't really fit well with your other comments on how those in power are corrupt either.

No, the state really isn't great, for all the reasons you mention, but private banks would be even worse. I have outlined the theory for why the state is closer aligned with the people than private banks, which you have not engaged with. It's not blind faith in the state, it's just that I consider the state less awful than private banks would be.

Banks interests do not need to align with ordinary people for them to behave in a more stable manner in a free market system. Competition will force them to behave in a better manner than they are now under a government system.

It is the banking and monetary system that we have now that is reponsible for the massive centralisation and anti-competitive nature of our banking system.

Stop thinking competition is some magic force. Competition only works in growing industries with high potential for innovation. Even there, as soon as the easy gains have been made and the growth is gone you get consolidation, mergers and collusion. That's literally an explicit part of the theory of corporate strategy.

All that would happen in terms of collusion would be the target shifts from the state to the private banks, lobbies follow whoever is in power. And the private banks are not even transparent or democratically accountable to the public (those being mechanisms to align interests). It would be a step backwards to what is essentially a feudal pre-state power structure.

It's an irrelevancy. The Bank of England is still politically controlled.

Nevertheless, certainly a step in the right direction, without stepping too far and making it totally private and unaccountable.

No, they wouldn't devalue for their own private gain because they would have to compete for customers unlike the system you are proposing which is total government control over the economy i.e. a violent monopoly. I believe that most people would choose to use money backed by gold or silver and therefore the banks who inflate too much would be punished by the market.

Again, look at what happened when this was tried in America, I've given you the links. Every bank note issued was worth less than its face value. Look at what happened with the Libor rate scandal, that was banks trading currencies "freely" and no state was involved in that.
By the rich I usually mean anyone who is asset-wealthy and doesn't have to work for a living as such. It's about how you're set up for the future rather than how much money you have or what you do per se.

No, because the value of wages is lower than it would be in a totally uncoercive market, because workers are hamstrung in the negotiation by what is essentially their need to have a place to sleep and food on the table by the end of the week.

Obnoxious bastards, surely they must want to work at that price as like everyone else they are always free to cash in Daddy's trust fund or sell one of their houses if they want...

It really isn't my idea of a free and equitable transaction.

I don't think, like Marx did, that all profit is due to the spread between the true value of labour and the market value of labour. Innovation is also something that creates wealth, either on the cost reduction side or the persuading people to buy your shiny new stuff side. and that does emanate from the people who set up companies.

Problem is people like you automatically equate doing business with innovation. But many business activities are not innovative at all, imagine a property developer, they're able to use lobbying power and the political situation around housing to get markets rigged in their favour without any innovation whatsoever.

I know, which is why I wouldn't want it to get that far, but guess what, it will end up happening if the "we should just give all our money to the rich and trust them to do the right thing because they're soooo smart" brigade get their way, because it's unsustainable.

The turmoil would be temporary by the way, because a small British business would grow to meet the demand and for a while at least they would be keeping every penny of their profits on British soil through tax, jobs, investment, whatever. Not forever, but that sort of churn in the market is literally what capitalism is supposed to involve and what is supposed to drive innovation. It doesn't mean protect the big business we have now at all costs because we're desperate and dependent on their money. The problem is if we allow them too much power and influence they will make it so such economic dependence is ever more the case.

Explain why. It is increasingly true that returns on speculative activity are more profitable, at least until the bubble pops, than returns on productive and innovative activity.

Of course not all business is innovative, but it is true that the vast majority of innovation comes directly from the profit motive and the desire to make money.

And yes, people who work are willing to work - not because they can recreate to their Daddy's trust fund as you so flippantly put it, but because they can go on benefits if they don't want to work.

Also, this 'temporary' state of job losses would still be bad for the country. And as you said earlier, this British company that fills the gap would eventually get big enough to engage in transfer pricing to minimise taxes, at which point you'd then tax them so much that they leave, causing another temporary hole. Under your argument, this temporary loss of jobs would turn out to be quite regular...
Original post by ibzombie96
Of course not all business is innovative, but it is true that the vast majority of innovation comes directly from the profit motive and the desire to make money.

Yes, and other things also come out of the profit motive which are not good for us: as I have said, speculation, and, I underline to you again, at present the returns on speculative activity seem to be higher than those on innovative activity and growing.

And yes, people who work are willing to work - not because they can recreate to their Daddy's trust fund as you so flippantly put it, but because they can go on benefits if they don't want to work.

Have you engaged with the benefits system at all? It's not a lifestyle choice, apart from it being a completely miserable existence it's literally not enough money to live on (people are growing reliant on charity to help them eat).

This is the very reason why we need a strong, fair, non-judgemental benefits system, to help buoy up the value of labour to something slightly less exploitable. And you have literally admitted you agree that this is what it does, so don't pretend otherwise.

I would be sympathetic if you said certain elements of the benefit system, like the whole popping out kids for council houses stuff, is a bit of a lifestyle choice, but not straightforward unemployment, no way.

Also, this 'temporary' state of job losses would still be bad for the country. And as you said earlier, this British company that fills the gap would eventually get big enough to engage in transfer pricing to minimise taxes, at which point you'd then tax them so much that they leave, causing another temporary hole. Under your argument, this temporary loss of jobs would turn out to be quite regular...

I know, but does that mean we should just be dependent and in hock to whatever the big companies want for ever and ever? You libertarian types are the ones always going on about dependence culture and how being on the teat of the state is playing into their hands - it's just the same when the powerful entity is a large corporation.

I know the British firm would "turn evil" just the same, I've said that from the start. But hopefully during this cycle in the churn we'd have figured out some sensible regulation that essentially limits these practices or chases around after them closing loopholes. Of course as you say we probably wouldn't do this and we'd end up with a long period of exploitation (boom) followed by turmoil (bust).

If corporations would accept the need for sensible regulation, grow up and co-operate on this (as they do, more so than us, in northern Europe) it would not have to come down to this adversarial "do whatever we say or we leave" every time and hopefully we could level out the boom and bust cycle a bit.

We've basically managed to eradicate the oppression/revolution cycle in civil governance, time to do it with corporate governance too.

Have you engaged with the benefits system at all? It's not a lifestyle choice, apart from it being a completely miserable existence it's literally not enough money to live on (people are growing reliant on charity to help them eat).

Think you'll find it is a lifestyle choice. I live in a poor area and the quantity of people on benefits because they wouldn't earn more elsewhere is shameful. The welfare state is meant to be a safety net, it's not meant to be pleasant, merely adequate. Yes it sounds harsh, but the only way social mobility in this country will return to respectable levels is if people are forced back into the labour market.

It's tough love but as long as people are given enough money to ensure they do not fall into poverty it will be better in the long run for themselves in society. They will actually have an incentive to better themselves. It's a paradox, but a cosy welfare state actually worsens the plight of the working class.
Original post by tom12234
Think you'll find it is a lifestyle choice. I live in a poor area and the quantity of people on benefits because they wouldn't earn more elsewhere is shameful. The welfare state is meant to be a safety net, it's not meant to be pleasant, merely adequate. Yes it sounds harsh, but the only way social mobility in this country will return to respectable levels is if people are forced back into the labour market.

It's tough love but as long as people are given enough money to ensure they do not fall into poverty it will be better in the long run for themselves in society. They will actually have an incentive to better themselves. It's a paradox, but a cosy welfare state actually worsens the plight of the working class.

Well, I highly doubt whether you've asked them about their motivations, you're just judging them aren't you?

In any case, insofar as they do "choose" benefits over a job, that's because the jobs are so poorly paid and insecure they're not worth it. Let's force companies to provide jobs that actually raise people up and help them out of poverty rather than pushing everyone down to the lowest common denominator because then the "job creators" have to spend less on labour costs.

You do realise the vast, vast majority of those receiving benefits actually do work, don't you? The state's topping up their poverty wages so they can survive: another hand-out to the companies who would be up **** creek if they paid so little their employees couldn't eat and that was that. This is particularly true if you include housing benefit, which is the same hand-out, only to private landlords rather than companies (they're another one of the Tories' client groups).

It's definitely not unemployment or in-work benefits, it's family benefits that are a little bit of a gravy train. You'll probably observe that if these people are "scrounging" a bit, they have large families.

You say social mobility means pushing people into the labour market, well, firstly, I'm afraid there aren't enough jobs for everyone (there never have been, and it looks economically impossible to me), and secondly, if you think you can still meaningfully rise from the bottom to the top in a company through hard work, as our parents could, you've got another think coming.

You say the welfare state needs to be adequate not pleasant, well, for the unemployed it's not even adequate. I believe we've cracked a million people now reliant on charity from food banks to survive. I guess that's a "lifestyle choice" too? :laugh:

If it's all so great, why don't you give up your job? (I've never had an answer to that particular question funnily enough!)
(edited 9 years ago)

You say social mobility means pushing people into the labour market, well, firstly, I'm afraid there aren't enough jobs for everyone (there never have been, and it looks economically impossible to me), and secondly, if you think you can still meaningfully rise from the bottom to the top in a company through hard work, as our parents could, you've got another think coming.

There's a few things that can be done about this. Lower immigration (ie pull out of the EU) to ensure that the working class faces less competition for jobs from European immigrants (no slight against immigrants, they aren't to blame, horrendous Labour Immigration policies are). That would at least improve wages and increase the opportunity cost of relying on welfare.

As for social mobility, it's undoubtedly still possible to work your way up through the company with hard work (the reason this isn't witnessed is because the young have been indoctrinated to avoid rugged individualism and therefore have lower self-belief). I do agree with you to some extent that this isn't as easy as a few decades ago. The main blame has to be attributed to the proliferation of degrees; university education should only be for certain things, people shouldn't fall into it after sixth form.

You say the welfare state needs to be adequate not pleasant, well, for the unemployed it's not even adequate. I believe we've cracked a million people now reliant on charity from food banks to survive. I guess that's a "lifestyle choice" too? :laugh:

If it's all so great, why don't you give up your job? (I've never had an answer to that particular question funnily enough!)

To have so many using foodbanks in such a developed country is depressing. However I wonder how many who use foodbanks actually need to, and are not just going there because there's free food on offer. That has to be taken into consideration.

I never once said it was great, I said the welfare system is abused massively. If benefits for some families are not enough to pay for basic needs then they should be increased, I'm no monster. But living on the welfare state HAS to be inferior to working otherwise why the hell would anyone want a job.
Well, I highly doubt whether you've asked them about their motivations, you're just judging them aren't you?

In any case, insofar as they do "choose" benefits over a job, that's because the jobs are so poorly paid and insecure they're not worth it. Let's force companies to provide jobs that actually raise people up and help them out of poverty rather than pushing everyone down to the lowest common denominator because then the "job creators" have to spend less on labour costs.

You do realise the vast, vast majority of those receiving benefits actually do work, don't you? The state's topping up their poverty wages so they can survive: another hand-out to the companies who would be up **** creek if they paid so little their employees couldn't eat and that was that. This is particularly true if you include housing benefit, which is the same hand-out, only to private landlords rather than companies (they're another one of the Tories' client groups).

It's definitely not unemployment or in-work benefits, it's family benefits that are a little bit of a gravy train. You'll probably observe that if these people are "scrounging" a bit, they have large families.

Because the welfare system isn't so great and it's not meant to be so great...At what point did anyone suggest the benefits system was 'all so great'?
It seems that the person who hates rich bankers just seems to hate rich people. No point in getting a debate with somebody so irrational.

Back on topic, if you want your bus now, vote Labour but if you want your children to have a home, vote Conservative.

You say the welfare state needs to be adequate not pleasant, well, for the unemployed it's not even adequate.

I'm unemployed and depend on the welfare state and its certainly adequate. I have a lot more money now than I did when I was a student.
To have so many using foodbanks in such a developed country is depressing. However I wonder how many who use foodbanks actually need to, and are not just going there because there's free food on offer. That has to be taken into consideration.

I never once said it was great, I said the welfare system is abused massively. If benefits for some families are not enough to pay for basic needs then they should be increased, I'm no monster. But living on the welfare state HAS to be inferior to working otherwise why the hell would anyone want a job.

Abused, so you think these people who you see who seem to be doing so well on benefits are actually fiddling the system? Why do you think so? The DWP's own estimate for benefit fraud and error is 0.7% at most. I would have thought the main source of undetected fraud is people taking cash in hand while on unemployment benefits. Isn't that entrepreneurial? It's similar to what, say, BTL landlords do, it's just that the handouts they get on top of rent profit are defined as being legal. Big whoop, they're no less immoral, no less damaging.

Yes it should be inferior to working (and broadly is, I say again; main problem is supply side, not enough jobs). So why not make working better? Why does it always have to involve pushing those at the very bottom deeper into poverty?

Answer is it doesn't, and actually that sort of thing really ****s up the real economy as people don't spend what little surplus they may have in case the oven breaks or they get sanctioned. Then they get evicted and end up in emergency housing at several 000 a month or at A&E with malnutrition. Misery and persecution are bloody expensive business for this country. And with their lives in that sort of state they're not exactly what a business would call a dependable worker.
Original post by ibzombie96
Because the welfare system isn't so great and it's not meant to be so great...At what point did anyone suggest the benefits system was 'all so great'?

Well is it all one big gravy train or isn't it? Make your mind up, can't have it both ways at once.
Well is it all one big gravy train or isn't it? Make your mind up, can't have it both ways at once.

I'm sorry, did I ever suggest that it is great, or a gravy train? Please, I'd like to see some evidence. You need to become less black and white in your thinking.

I said it is a choice to be on benefits and that while it is adequate, it should in no way be a gravy train, as you put it.
There's a few things that can be done about this. Lower immigration (ie pull out of the EU) to ensure that the working class faces less competition for jobs from European immigrants (no slight against immigrants, they aren't to blame, horrendous Labour Immigration policies are). That would at least improve wages and increase the opportunity cost of relying on welfare.

As for social mobility, it's undoubtedly still possible to work your way up through the company with hard work (the reason this isn't witnessed is because the young have been indoctrinated to avoid rugged individualism and therefore have lower self-belief). I do agree with you to some extent that this isn't as easy as a few decades ago. The main blame has to be attributed to the proliferation of degrees; university education should only be for certain things, people shouldn't fall into it after sixth form.

More demand side solutions to supply side problems. I'm not necessarily opposed to sending 'em back but it just wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference, certainly not in the medium to long term. Same with housing. And that's why everyone laughs at Farage now when he blames everything on immigrants.

Now you are blaming people for not having the gumption to climb the ladder. That's *******s, you know as well as I do that advancement is based on office politics and the hard workers are few and far between.

What do you suppose they put in the water back in the nineties then that suddenly the new generation of young people are lazy? How has this come about? Isn't it far more likely that one generation is quite like another?

What we HAVE had in that period of course is significant economic rebalancing and thirty to forty years of neo-liberal economic consensus. Look, I know it's slightly more complicated to think about the world in terms of these big interconnected systems rather than individuals and their personalities, but I'm afraid that's the reality.

Agree that yes you can work your way up but it's much harder now and in any case not EVERYONE can do it, can they? Not because of lack of ability but because you can't have 100 managers and 0 workers. Also agree about degrees, I don’t think much of Labour's education policy down the ages. But as everyone now has them that has nothing to do with advancement within companies: it would be just the same if nobody did a degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Manitude
I'm unemployed and depend on the welfare state and its certainly adequate. I have a lot more money now than I did when I was a student.

Yeah it's prob ok if you actually get the money, main problem is sanctions and the instability that causes. Assuming you are not being disingenuous and you're single (JSA+HB only), rent, pay all your own bills, don't rely on anyone else, use no savings etc.
Yeah it's prob ok if you actually get the money, main problem is sanctions and the instability that causes. Assuming you are not being disingenuous and you're single (JSA+HB only), rent, pay all your own bills, don't rely on anyone else, use no savings etc.

Well the main trick is to not get sanctioned. It's pretty difficult to get sanctioned if you do the things you're required to do and keep the service centre updated with your work status. Plus you get a chance to appeal when threatened with sanctions and afaik you only get sanctioned when the appeal fails and it takes weeks (in my case it was a couple of months) to process, giving plenty of time to cut back on spending in preparation. The DWP don't just sanction people for the fun of it. That may be the attitude of some people who work at the job centre but the appeals process means that a human with the capacity to see the rules in more than black and white reviews your case. If after that you get sanctioned then it's probably because you didn't follow the agreement all job seekers sign.

As an aside, the new Universal Credit system works pretty well, particularly with zero hour contracts. The Conservatives may get slated by Labour for these things but when you experience both at the same time they do make sense.

I may not enjoy being unemployed (as a matter of pride and it's really boring) but I am grateful that I live in a country which has such a generous benefits system. If I lived in the USA (for example) I would probably be bankrupt and homeless due to student loans.
(edited 9 years ago)
All as bad as each other, all make false promises.
Original post by Manitude
Well the main trick is to not get sanctioned. It's pretty difficult to get sanctioned if you do the things you're required to do and keep the service centre updated with your work status. Plus you get a chance to appeal when threatened with sanctions and afaik you only get sanctioned when the appeal fails and it takes weeks (in my case it was a couple of months) to process, giving plenty of time to cut back on spending in preparation. The DWP don't just sanction people for the fun of it. That may be the attitude of some people who work at the job centre but the appeals process means that a human with the capacity to see the rules in more than black and white reviews your case. If after that you get sanctioned then it's probably because you didn't follow the agreement all job seekers sign.

As an aside, the new Universal Credit system works pretty well, particularly with zero hour contracts. The Conservatives may get slated by Labour for these things but when you experience both at the same time they do make sense.

I may not enjoy being unemployed (as a matter of pride and it's really boring) but I am grateful that I live in a country which has such a generous benefits system. If I lived in the USA (for example) I would probably be bankrupt and homeless due to student loans.

Yeah, problem is there are these league tables and quotas for sanctions. You seem smart and likely to know your rights, they target those they expect will not know how to appeal. But there are these horror stories about people sanctioned for missing appointments that never happened, for going to funerals, job interviews...

Not really sure we should be so meekly grateful we don't live in the USA. We can do better than those barbarians. We should be comparing ourselves to Europe. About the only thing they are worse than us about is the strictly contributory principle you often get there. No income based JSA and so forth so you get homeless on the streets. Other than that I'm pretty sure we're the stingiest country for benefits in Western Europe versus living costs.

Why does UC work better? I am interested to know.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
Yes, I understand that banks can create money i.e. debt out of nothing and have legal privileges to do so. In a free system, they would not have these privileges. I don't see how relevant these criticisms you are making are as you aren't going against anything I said however you are still making the same mistake of saying banks being able to create money is bad but the government being able to is good.

How does this deficit stuff matter? I never said that the government should never run a deficit. I said that without control of the money supply that they couldn't devalue the currency to pay for things. No mention of deficits or surpluses.

No, that's clearly not true. Where did you get this nonsense from?

Of course it is true. That's the entire point of fiat money. I suggest you google "monetary economics for beginners" and start there.

Latest

Trending

Trending