The Student Room Group

Got rejected from my only choice.

I applied for university this year, using UCAS, in the hopes of studying Drama, so I can pursue my dream job of getting into acting and the film industry in general. Had taken two years out, to figure out what I wanted to do, as I previously studied Graphic Design in college, both a ND and HND, but realised how much I didn't want to do it, after my HND.

I applied for Queens University Belfast for the Drama and Film Studies course. I had my heart completely set on it for months, only to get the notification, today, that I was unsuccessful in my application. To say I was heartbroken would be an understatement, I just cried and couldn't stop. This was something I needed to improve my life for the better and getting that rejection letter was a massive slap in the face for me.

I only used one of my choices, because there are only two universities in Northern Ireland that do Drama courses and University of Ulster's Magee Campus, where they have their drama department is over 3 hours away from where I am, so it wasn't ideal. I would have been too far away from people I know, on the off chance something happened that I needed their help. I have anxiety, so I don't feel comfortable depending on those I don't know well. I also didn't want to leave the country to study for the same reason.

I am completely stuck as to what to do, now. I don't want to have to wait until next year to apply again. I'm turning 22 this year and feel like I'm running out of time to pursue the career choice I want. I still have my other 4 choices, but I don't know what I should do with them or if I even can do anything with them. I don't want to waste my time with a course I'm not happy with.
(edited 9 years ago)
You could try looking into what's available in Clearing? It isn't ideal but y'know, it might help you a bit. I got my offer back from Ulster yesterday on the Magee campus too, and well, I live in England, bit further than 3 hours away :P So I mean, if you do end up at Ulster, you could always find out a rough draft sorta of who will be there by asking around on the threads here and getting to know people; it could help with your anxiety cause it's normally easier to talk to someone you don't know via a computer as opposed to face to face.

I suggest you look into the other courses that you have on your choices//offers really really thoroughly and if none of them seem like what you want to do, try looking in Clearing when it's available to see if you can find one you do want to do. Good luck :-) x
It's a sad fact that prospective actors have to deal constantly with rejection.
It seems you haven't been slapped in the face by the university, but by the limitations you put on yourself and your future. Choosing one university is silly, even if you had your heart set on it. Your previous course shows to you that what you want to do now is not necessarily what you want to do in the future. You made the choice that you would risk not planning ahead by just going for one uni, and this moment is the outcome of that.

If you put these limitations on yourself because you wouldn't feel comfortable, you needed to weigh up feeling uncomfortable for the first few months at a far away uni while you make friends, to the fact that you only applied for 1 uni and may not get in.

My advice, go through clearing and EXPAND YOUR CHOICES. Would you rather get a degree in what you want, in maybe the uni that is a little further away, or not get it atall? You decide

Best of luck
It's not a nice situation OP but I think you should reconsider applying elsewhere. You say you don't want to go elsewhere but imagine the scenario where you have your Drama degree, do you think where you live will have the best opportunities for acting jobs? At some point in life most of us need to consider moving somewhere new and if you choose a career such as acting you will have to move around the country and even the world so if you can't move in order to get the degree then you should really consider that when choosing a career which inevitably involves travel.

If I were you, I'd go through clearing and choose somewhere else OR you will have to take a year out to reapply OR take a year out to reconsider.

Hope you work it out.
Reply 5
Have you perhaps thought of changing your course. I know you want to do drama but it you really want to remain close to home then perhaps apply for a different course with Lower entry requirements. You can also ask for feedback from queens university Belfast asking why you got rejected to see if this is something you can resolve before you apply elsewhere. The good thing is applications are less now so uni's should reply quicker so you won't have to wait as long. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did you ask for feedback on the rejection?
Reply 7
Maybe, it's because you put so, many, unnecessary, commas in your, writing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you win some, you lose some
Reply 9
Original post by quinlov

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually read the OP again to check this and you're actually right haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by quinlov

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're just gonna poke fun at my misusage of punctuation marks instead of actually being helpful and suggest an effective alternative to my problem, which was the reason it was posted, then don't bother to comment. It's rude and a waste of both your time and my own. I'm fully aware that I can't use them properly, autism can do that to people.
Reply 11
Original post by GhostVonGhoul
If you're just gonna poke fun at my misusage of punctuation marks instead of actually being helpful and suggest an effective alternative to my problem, which was the reason it was posted, then don't bother to comment. It's rude and a waste of both your time and my own. I'm fully aware that I can't use them properly, autism can do that to people.

I didn't write the post but I agreed with it so sorry if I offended you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending