The Student Room Group

Does this sound like glandular fever?

So I went to the doctors yesterday morning with a horrible sore throat, she told me it was an infection of the bed of my tonsils, where they used to be as I had them removed 4 years ago. This is the worst sore throat I've ever had and is comparable to the pain I felt when recovering from having my tonsils removed, I can barely swallow my own saliva let alone much water, j definitely can't eat so ive been living off ice lollies since Tuesday. My neck is very swollen however you can't actually feel my glands, I have a temperature of 38.5, chills, cold sweats, headache, blocked nose full of mucus but doesn't come out when I blow my nose, extreme ear ache, body aches and extreme tiredness. I'm 19 years old in my first year of uni.. I just don't see how I can have the worst site throat in my life, even after living with tonsillitis for almost a year straight, when I don't even have tonsils anymore. I'm just looking for a better explanation!!
Reply 1
id go back to your GP asap and ask for a blood test to detect glandular fever
Reply 2
Glandular fever does sound likely here, definetely push for a blood test (though keep in mind the first test can be a false negative!) hope you feel better soon :smile:
To be honest, it doesn't really change anything whether it is or isn't (other than perhaps being advised to avoid contact sports if your spleen is enlarged).

At the end of the day, if you've been given the appropriate antibiotic, it will cover you for bacterial tonsillitis. If it is glandular fever, the (appropriate) antibiotic won't cause any harm. The treatment for glandular fever is paracetamol, keeping hydrated and expecting to feel exhausted.

You can still get throat infections despite having your tonsils out.
Reply 4
the blood test for glandular fever is positive if you have ever been infected, so doesnt neccesarily mean that GF is the cause of current symptoms therefore isnt that helpful, and as Etomidate mentioned, wont change management. Evidence for benefit of antibiotics in sore throat is limited. Difflam spray can be useful, do you have this on prescription?

Quick Reply

Latest