The Student Room Group

How many lectures/seminars/tutorials did you miss in first year?

obviously not expecting an exact answer, but was just wondering roughly how many people have missed/missed? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Missed about 9 seminars, and about 70% of lectures
Pretty much all of them.
Missed more than I can remember. I still do my work and do fine in exams before anyone comments :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
None...

Missed more in second year when commuting!
Oh god, so many.
I did English Lit, Latin and Philosophy in first year; I remember I had a Latin grammar class at 9 on a Friday morning which I went to maybe twice or three times in the whole year. Though to be fair, everything they taught in that class was stuff I'd already seen in secondary school/college, so there wasn't much point in going.
I missed quite a lot of English Lit lectures as well (I always went to the seminars though), whenever I felt my time would be more efficiently spent doing coursework or reading on my own than going to a lecture that didn't seem extremely interesting.
I always went to the Philosophy lectures though.

I did fine in my exams.
Original post by scrunkie
Missed about 9 seminars, and about 70% of lectures

ditto haha
Loads. They last 10am till 5pm or 7pm every day. I'm not cut out for that many lectures lol.

Had some personal issues I had to attend to recently as well so I missed about 2 months worth. Gonna be a good student next week though.
(edited 9 years ago)
What kind of sick, twisted individual would skip seminars when they're paying 30k?!
Reply 9
None.
Two or slightly more. I was late and I didn't want to a certain practical.
None though we seem to have had less than many other people.

The only thing I've "missed" was a session that ran twice that you could go to both times, I decided not to bother with the second.
Never missed any tutorials or lab classes because if you don't attend you can't get credit for the assignments they set in each one and for my stats class you earned credit just by showing up lol. Lectures on the other hand... Last term I went to two or three per week out of six. Whenever I missed a lecture I would sit there and go through it at the same time as the lecture though, just I'd be 15 miles away sat in my pjs lol.
Reply 13
I think I've missed two lectures this semester, and none last semester.
I had 20 hrs of lectures/labs a week in first year, and around 15 in second and third year. I started off going to most of them, but as time went on and I settled into the course, I got to know what I could afford to miss etc.

My attendance was probably something like:

1st year 1st semester: 90%
1st year second semester: 75-80%
2nd year: 60-70%
3rd year: 50%

I got a first. But lab sheets and lecture slides were all on the intranet so going to lectures and labs soon started seeming like a pointless chore.
Reply 15
I missed practically zero in my first year, but in my third year I missed a lot.
a few, probably 2 or 3. Friday is the last day of lectures before exam begins.
Didn't miss any seminars, but missed most lectures.
Does make you wonder why people pay for the privilege of taking an exam. :s-smilie:

I made myself go to lectures even if I thought they were a bit of a waste of time. If I hadn't of done a science degree that required lab based stuff I would feel very ripped off. Third year was pretty good as I spent most of it in a lab with supervisor and his phd student.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Does make you wonder why people pay for the privilege of taking an exam. :s-smilie:

I made myself go to lectures even if I thought they were a bit of a waste of time. If I hadn't of done a science degree that required lab based stuff I would feel very ripped off. Third year was pretty good as I spent most of it in a lab with supervisor and his phd student.

Because for me it would have been a big waste of money to have to pay bus fare to and from lectures that were easily readable at home.

I of course went to all labs, tutorials and any other practical based stuff. And the lectures I did go to were ones I knew weren't just reading off the slides and actually engaged with their students.

I just can't see the logic of going to a lecture where the lecturer reads the slides word for word. If you can just read that in the comfort of your own home and not have to pay to get to the location to hear someone else read it.

It wasn't even as if you could go into lengthy questions or anything like that to lecturers like that, because all they wanted to do was get through the slides. You could ask quick questions (which were easy to Google anyway) or you were asked to email them the question or see them in their office for a better answer...which you could do regardless of if you went to the lecture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending