The Student Room Group

Can untrained, puny arms get bigger on a cut?

Basically I used to prescribe to the old 'presses and rows are enough for arms' nonsense, and although that may partially be true about triceps, I have found it definitely isn't for biceps.

I squat 135kg, bench 100kg, deadlift 190-200kg, but only have 12.5 inch arms! I have started my regulation summer cut and have never properly trained biceps. With something like a superset 3x12 on one or both upper body days, as well as a specific arm day with 8 sets each for triceps and biceps, is it unrealistic to expect an inch or more on my arms by the end of the summer, with them being relatively untrained, with an increased load?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Basically I used to prescribe to the old 'presses and rows are enough for arms' nonsense, and although that may partially be true about triceps, I have found it definitely isn't for biceps.

I squat 135kg, bench 100kg, deadlift 190-200kg, but only have 12.5 inch arms! I have started my regulation summer cut and have never properly trained biceps i.e. a superset 3x12 on one or both upper body day, as well as a specific arm day with 8 sets each triceps and biceps, is it unrealistic to expect an inch on my arms by the end of the summer, with them being relatively untrained, with an increased load?

Flexed? And how tall are you?
Reply 2
Original post by In One Ear
Flexed? And how tall are you?

Not flexed and cold first thing in AM. And I'm 5"10.

Bench and other lifts are absolute 1RMs and bench was before shoulder op 3 months ago as well but arms haven't shrunk. I've got chunky legs and solid chest/lats, but arms and also shoulders too are comparatively small.
(edited 8 years ago)
An inch is a little unrealistic - that's like a years worth of hard work, generally with weight gain. However size isn't everything, shape will improve, and if you lose bf% and maintain size that's already a win.

If it makes you feel any better, I bench 140 and only have 16.5" arms lol.
Reply 4
Original post by redbuthotter
An inch is a little unrealistic - that's like a years worth of hard work, generally with weight gain. However size isn't everything, shape will improve, and if you lose bf% and maintain size that's already a win.

If it makes you feel any better, I bench 140 and only have 16.5" arms lol.

Lol. I'm mainly an athlete though and not a pure lifter, to be fair!

Is my plan of a superset at the end of an upper body session along with another arm day good enough?
Lol. I'm mainly an athlete though and not a pure lifter, to be fair!

Is my plan of a superset at the end of an upper body session along with another arm day good enough?

Yeah just curl man lol. If you really care do it 3 times a week, hitting loads of volume as you go.
Curl heavy for sets of 6, it's the only thing me and redbuthotter agree on.
(edited 8 years ago)

I wouldn't say it's true for triceps either.

Do isolation work for both.
Reply 8
Original post by SmashConcept
Curl heavy for sets of 6, it's the only thing me and redbuthotter agree on.

That's news to me! I've always been told training biceps is all about the pump.

Would 3x6 of EZ curls or something, followed by higher rep stuff suffice?

I always go higher rep on arms, they get plenty of heavy work from all the compounds you're doing anyway, so if they're not responding to that then you need something different. Either that or do a couple of straight sets at lower reps and add in a dropset or two at higher reps to end the last set, to get some serious pumps going on. Always the sort of thing I've done for arms and they're my best bodypart.
(edited 8 years ago)

Barbell curls are better. I wear wrist wraps cos they bother me very slightly. Yeah 2 or 3 sets below 10 reps is enough heavy work, then after that there's nothing wrong with high reps.
Not bigger but stronger and lower body fat means they may look slightly bigger
Reply 12
Weighted Chinups and Hammer Curls.
Do tricep pull downs 3 days a week - 3 sets of twelve for whatever weight you can do them at while maintaining perfect form - not putting your back into it or practically jumping on it like some guys do lol.

Same principal with biceps - do curls and hammer curls. But concentrate on form. Each rep must be as good as possible.

People who mainly look at benching, squats etc etc are often too concerned with whatever numbers they're putting up (if they care about how they look anyway). Putting up the numbers for numbers' sake. Bodybuilders will never be powerlifters,

Maybe you can curl X weight for Y reps but who cares if your form is crap. You won't grow much. Do curls with putting your back into it just so you can say you lifted a certain weight for reps and wonder why you're not looking any better. Again, I often find this with the Starting Strength crowd. Drop the weight until each rep is perfect form. This will help your arms grow hugely.
how heavy are you atm?
Reply 15
Original post by a_shabba
how heavy are you atm?

90kg, got 10kg to lose to look hella lean. Want to get it done before uni restarts in late September.
How big are they flexed and pumped?
Reply 17
Original post by redbuthotter
How big are they flexed and pumped?

Probably 14 inches. Don't think I brought tape measure back to uni.

I'm already feeling a difference by training them regularly, but could merely be psychological.

Quick Reply

Latest