I think I've failed my dissertation!

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
beanie26
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm sick to the stomach about it.

I didn't put enough data analysis in, I put some but not much. Found a couple of spelling mistakes after binding. One reference is wrong in the reference section. Just made the 6000 minimum word count. Any sensible thoughts on possible outcomes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
A few minor mistakes in a 6000 word dissertation will probably not cost much, and the data analysis might cost a bit but won't make you fail. If the reference is completely wrong, it might be a slight issue.
Daenerys...
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You've only got yourself to blame tbh.

Didn't you have help from a lecturer or at least dissertation area expert? At my university a lecturer read my dissertation several times and he even gave me corrections he was an expert in the area of my research.

6000 words is low as well but I guess that depends on your course/uni.
beanie26
Rep:
(Original post by Arkasia)
A few minor mistakes in a 6000 word dissertation will probably not cost much, and the data analysis might cost a bit but won't make you fail. If the reference is completely wrong, it might be a slight issue.
The reference thing was that I'd said it was from a chapter in an edited book. But in the referencing I named the author of the chapter, title of the chapter and the year and the publisher. Just not the book it was in :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
beanie26
Rep:
(Original post by Daenerys...)
You've only got yourself to blame tbh.

Didn't you have help from a lecturer or at least dissertation area expert? At my university a lecturer read my dissertation several times and he even gave me corrections he was an expert in the area of my research.

6000 words is low as well but I guess that depends on your course/uni.
Yes I did have help initially, but had personal issues with anxiety that meant I shut myself off.

It's a new social science research scheme called Q Step, and the word limits were 6k - 9k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by beanie26)
The reference thing was that I'd said it was from a chapter in an edited book. But in the referencing I named the author of the chapter, title of the chapter and the year and the publisher. Just not the book it was in :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Right, well it's better than just not referencing it at all.
beanie26
Rep:
(Original post by Arkasia)
Right, well it's better than just not referencing it at all.
I hope so, the thought of resitting makes me want to throw myself under a bus :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
rochie28
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by beanie26)
I'm sick to the stomach about it.

I didn't put enough data analysis in, I put some but not much. Found a couple of spelling mistakes after binding. One reference is wrong in the reference section. Just made the 6000 minimum word count. Any sensible thoughts on possible outcomes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey don't beat yourself up about it, think positive, i don't think you'll fail at all, there only slight errors
gutenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
My feeling is that you won't fail- but you should perhaps prepare yourself for a low-ish mark. A weak analysis section combined with referencing errors will push your grade down. So try not to panic!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Could have been worse. I myself left it far too late and have screwed myself because of it. I don't expect much above a pass for the rushed piece of work i did.
Liyana02.
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
what did you get :OO
X
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (18)
18.95%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (33)
34.74%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
5.26%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
2.11%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (9)
9.47%
Reading articles about what steps to take (18)
18.95%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
4.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.32%

Watched Threads