The Student Room Group

I think I've failed my dissertation!

I'm sick to the stomach about it.

I didn't put enough data analysis in, I put some but not much. Found a couple of spelling mistakes after binding. One reference is wrong in the reference section. Just made the 6000 minimum word count. Any sensible thoughts on possible outcomes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
A few minor mistakes in a 6000 word dissertation will probably not cost much, and the data analysis might cost a bit but won't make you fail. If the reference is completely wrong, it might be a slight issue.
You've only got yourself to blame tbh.

Didn't you have help from a lecturer or at least dissertation area expert? At my university a lecturer read my dissertation several times and he even gave me corrections he was an expert in the area of my research.

6000 words is low as well but I guess that depends on your course/uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Arkasia
A few minor mistakes in a 6000 word dissertation will probably not cost much, and the data analysis might cost a bit but won't make you fail. If the reference is completely wrong, it might be a slight issue.

The reference thing was that I'd said it was from a chapter in an edited book. But in the referencing I named the author of the chapter, title of the chapter and the year and the publisher. Just not the book it was in :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Daenerys...
You've only got yourself to blame tbh.

Didn't you have help from a lecturer or at least dissertation area expert? At my university a lecturer read my dissertation several times and he even gave me corrections he was an expert in the area of my research.

6000 words is low as well but I guess that depends on your course/uni.

Yes I did have help initially, but had personal issues with anxiety that meant I shut myself off.

It's a new social science research scheme called Q Step, and the word limits were 6k - 9k.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by beanie26
The reference thing was that I'd said it was from a chapter in an edited book. But in the referencing I named the author of the chapter, title of the chapter and the year and the publisher. Just not the book it was in :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, well it's better than just not referencing it at all.
Reply 6
Original post by Arkasia
Right, well it's better than just not referencing it at all.

I hope so, the thought of resitting makes me want to throw myself under a bus :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by beanie26
I'm sick to the stomach about it.

I didn't put enough data analysis in, I put some but not much. Found a couple of spelling mistakes after binding. One reference is wrong in the reference section. Just made the 6000 minimum word count. Any sensible thoughts on possible outcomes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey don't beat yourself up about it, think positive, i don't think you'll fail at all, there only slight errors :smile:
My feeling is that you won't fail- but you should perhaps prepare yourself for a low-ish mark. A weak analysis section combined with referencing errors will push your grade down. So try not to panic! :smile:
Reply 9
Could have been worse. I myself left it far too late and have screwed myself because of it. I don't expect much above a pass for the rushed piece of work i did.
what did you get :OO

Latest

Trending

Trending