The Student Room Group

URGENT** I might be sacked from my first proper job on Monday

I am in some serious need of help. I have no idea where to turn.

I am currently training in a professional firm, alongside five others. The training has been going on for 2.5 months. This is my first proper, legal job after doing my law degree.

This afternoon, I got an email from my boss. She said that I am to have a formal meeting with her on Monday, because someone (or some people) in the firm 'has concerns about my suitability for the role'.I pressed for more details, but she said it's something to do with my performance and some other concerns, but she is unable to tell me any more until Monday. She listed some details about the nature of the meeting, and it sounds very much like a disciplinary/dismissal. (Someone from HR will be there, I'm allowed representation...)

I honestly have no idea what this about. For the last two weeks where we've been doing some 'proper' work, I've heard nothing but praise about my work and progress, and so I haven't been given any opportunity to improve, as I was led to believe everything was fine.

As far as I'm aware, I haven't done anything that warrants dismissal.

I am absolutely terrified that I'm going to be fired over something that could be prevented. I genuinely want to stay in the firm, and in the department.

Most of all, I'm terrified that my career, everything I've been working towards for the last 5 years, will just be ended on Monday.

WHAT DO

Any support, any advice, even well-wishing is welcome. I've been a wreck since I found out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm afraid that I don't have any ideas of advice to give you, but I think that God is in control and has got a plan for you so i will pray for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not religious, but I appreciate that I will be in your prayers, thank you.

I'm planning on printing off all the emails my trainers sent me which say I'm doing a good job, etc. But considering I don't know what the allegation is, god knows what will happen on Monday.
Reply 3
I thought to sack someone you have to had given them a verbal warning about thier performance at work as well as a written one before they can sack you? (May be wrong but I thought so)
Well, post #2 appears to be total *******s.

Serious note: Are you on some sort of provisional period of employment? For an outright dismissal you'd most likely have to do something serious enough that you'd be well aware of having screwed up. What does your employment contract say about termination?
Sorry to hear this, pretty ****ty of them to tell you on a Friday and by email so you have to sweat all weekend.

Have you absolutely no idea what it could be about? You haven't been rude to a client, overfamiliar to a colleague, used email for personal use or sharing jokes? Anything at all that could potentially damage the reputation of the company?

If you even had a tiny idea it might help you prepare your defence.

Good luck, hopefully it will be a misunderstanding.
Original post by frejabby
I thought to sack someone you have to had given them a verbal warning about thier performance at work as well as a written one before they can sack you? (May be wrong but I thought so)

My god, I genuinely hope so. If my work isn't up to the best standard, I am more than willing to learn and develop.

Original post by Potally_Tissed
Serious note: Are you on some sort of provisional period of employment? For an outright dismissal you'd most likely have to do something serious enough that you'd be well aware of having screwed up. What does your employment contract say about termination?

Unfortunately, I don't have my contract with me at the moment, but from what I can remember, violence, abuse and breaches of confidentiality will get someone automatically dismissed. I have done neither of those.
The 'worst' I did was post about how work is interesting. I never said what it was, or mention names/etc.
Also, as far as I'm aware, it's not provisional. I'm still supposed to be training for the next two weeks (which I don't believe is the same thing)
Original post by FeelingDepressed
Sorry to hear this, pretty ****ty of them to tell you on a Friday and by email so you have to sweat all weekend.

Have you absolutely no idea what it could be about? You haven't been rude to a client, overfamiliar to a colleague, used email for personal use or sharing jokes? Anything at all that could potentially damage the reputation of the company?

If you even had a tiny idea it might help you prepare your defence.

Good luck, hopefully it will be a misunderstanding.

I never used my work email for personal use; I would send non-confidential, but work-relevant stuff (things only in the public domain) which I found interesting to my personal email address from my work one, so I could download it onto my kindle at home.

I have posted about how much I've been enjoying my work. On one post I put on facebook today, I made a jab at myself for being so untidy at my work station (there are so many papers I have to go through). I don't know if that was it, but I've since deleted my facebook, just in case. I hope it's not about that post, because I had no intention of defaming my company.

And, of course, never been rude to a client. All my work is being double-checked at this point anyway.
Is there someone you could have with you, for example, a union rep?
Original post by Muttley79
Is there someone you could have with you, for example, a union rep?

No; I'm not a member of any union ;_; I never really thought about it as I haven't been working all that long.

Sadly, my colleagues are away on the Monday. We were supposed to be taking a business trip on the Monday...
The fact this couldn't wait until after the trip makes me think something really, really bad is going to happen to me.
Were you on Facebook during work hours? Seems trivial but I wonder if it's something like that.

Some companies are really funny about social media and even an innocent tweet in your own time can be frowned upon. Not fair really, but I guess if an employer can search through your FB, Twitter or Instagram so could a client?

Anyway it may be nothing related to this, but always good to get those security settings water tight and only have real friends as followers.

I don't see how you can be disciplined for something though that you didn't know was an "offence" have a good look through your contract when you can and see if it sets any alarm bells.
Original post by FeelingDepressed
Were you on Facebook during work hours? Seems trivial but I wonder if it's something like that.

I have used Facebook on my work computer... in order to do work. (It would make more sense if you knew the nature of my work). My profile, before I deactivated it, was private.

I did do some online shopping on my work computer during my break. Never again!

To be honest though, I really hope it's something trivial like this, which I can explain easily and apologise for. I really do feel like I'm walking blindly through a minefield.
Original post by the*legal*eagle
No; I'm not a member of any union ;_; I never really thought about it as I haven't been working all that long.

Sadly, my colleagues are away on the Monday. We were supposed to be taking a business trip on the Monday...
The fact this couldn't wait until after the trip makes me think something really, really bad is going to happen to me.

You mention that you're currently in a training contract - have you taken any exams recently? Training contracts will typically provide for dismissal following poor exam performance, but from what you've said in your first post it doesn't sound like that would be the case here.

With only 2-3 months' service you unfortunately don't qualify for unfair dismissal protection, but it would still be unusual to be summarily dismissed unless you'd done something *very* obviously wrong - gov.uk gives some examples, none of which seem to be relevant here. How large an organisation is this (I assume at least moderately so, having five trainees in your year-group)? Are there any other senior colleagues in your department who you might be able to help to represent you?
Original post by Illusionary
You mention that you're currently in a training contract - have you taken any exams recently? Training contracts will typically provide for dismissal following poor exam performance, but from what you've said in your first post it doesn't sound like that would be the case here.

With only 2-3 months' service you unfortunately don't qualify for unfair dismissal protection, but it would still be unusual to be summarily dismissed unless you'd done something *very* obviously wrong - gov.uk gives some examples, none of which seem to be relevant here. How large an organisation is this (I assume at least moderately so, having five trainees in your year-group)? Are there any other senior colleagues in your department who you might be able to help to represent you?

It's not a training contract, but it is an entry-level law job. This job means an awful lot to me, though. The Firm's size is 2-300, according to their Linkedin profile.

I know who I would like to represent me, but I can't seem to be able to get in contact with him. He was my main trainer, who has done nothing but 'sing my praises' as another colleague described it.

Thank you for the link; it's calmed me down somewhat as it seems more likely that I'll simply get a warning. I really do hope that's the worst possible result. I hate to disappoint and I really am willing to improve.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm gonna go to bed and try desperately to sleep and not let the depression overcome me. Night y'all.

More replies welcome, of course.
I'm gonna go to bed and try desperately to sleep and not let the depression overcome me. Night y'all.

If nothing else, I do hope that Monday does well for you, if you're not able to find out anything more before then! Let us know how you get on, if you feel able to do so. :smile:

Try to contact someone from a relevant union for advice; you could join over the weekend.

I hope you can contact your trainer and it's not as bad as you think.
Reply 17
Ignoring all above posts about 'unfair dismissal' as it is entirely irrelevant if you're still in your contractual probation period. Are you? If so then they can get rid of you for any or no reason.
Welp, I couldn't sleep at all last night, and now I'm shaking like a leaf with parkinson's.

Re: probation, I don't recall reading a section on this in the contract, so I don't know how long it is.
Curiously, however, they did send all the equipment I need for the job to my home address yesterday. This situation is just very strange.
Still, even if I were on probationary , surely it would have been better for everyone concerned to actually, you know, warn me in advance before resorting to disciplinary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending