The Student Room Group

Middle lane hoggers

Scroll to see replies

I have no time for middle lane hoggers. If I'm in the left lane going faster than them, I'll stay where I am rather than have to cut across two lanes of traffic
Original post by wowk
I've just graduated from uni as a student living with parents. In all my 3 year driving career I've spent most of my miles on motorways driving from Sheffield to Leeds.

There's nothing more i detest than middle lane hoggers (usually women in Fiat 500's) If lane 1 is clear then bloody use it!!! Let me just tell you folks now, there's no such thing as a 'slow, middle and fast lane'

In my second year I bought a sporty Ford Mondeo which is a lovely car and it's absolutely brilliant for terminating middle lane hoggers. I just put on my shades and slowly intercept them, then flash the main beam until they swing back into lane 1 - Business Rep Style.

I agree with you. Grinds my gears.

Original post by Homeboy
I often drive in middle lane becsuse I stay around 70mph thingy, those in slow lane often only do 50-60mph and there are many trucks in that lane so I stay in middle lane to avoid chaging lanes all the time to overtske the slow drivers

You still should move back regardless if there is space.

One thing that does annoy me however, is when lorries over take when there isn't really much need too. The lorries all are probably restricted to around the same speed, so they wouldn't be going much faster than the lorry in front. This just blocks two late and causes a lot of traffic :frown:
Original post by gazzagoalie
I have no time for middle lane hoggers. If I'm in the left lane going faster than them, I'll stay where I am rather than have to cut across two lanes of traffic

The problem with that is the type of person to sit in the middle lane generally has no spatial awareness or any idea what's going on around them. Once I was doing 70mph on a dual carriageway, my exit was coming up and I didn't have time to go out 2 lanes, overtake the woman doing 55mph in the middle lane and then get back across to exit, so I just undertook. Just before I did, someone overtook her in the outside lane. That prompted her a couple of seconds later to pull in, without looking, just as I was about to overlap her car. I managed to avoid a collision by standing on the brakes, but it was very close run thing. Since then (in the UK) I've taken the view that it's not worth risking an accident with someone clearly demonstrating poor spatial awareness for the sake of saving a few seconds.
Reply 43
Original post by CAElite
Actually he has a very good point.

I drive a 3.5ton flatbed through my work and it will sit at 70mph up and down the motorway without issue. However if I come up behind an inconsiderate driver sitting at 60-65 in the middle lane with a clear lane 1 then I have 2 options (well 3 but I wont consider obviously undertaking in my work vehicle).
1. Sit behind you until you eventually notice or pull off
2. attempt to pull into the passing lane in a vehicle with a vmax of about 75-80 well laden into traffic doing 80-90 meaning im now holding up micropenis buisness execs in there 530d's well i snail overtake you doing 5mph faster.

The only instance I would say where it is ok-ish to sit in the middle lane is if you are speeding somewhat excesesivly on a quiet motorway (85-100) as when you are traveling at those speeds you will be hitting lane 1 traffic every 30 seconds or so and are very unlikely to be overtaken. Even then I always keep an eye in my rearview and if someone is bombing up behind me ill pull in (especially on dual carriageway, There is ALWAYS someone wanting to go faster nomatter what speed your traveling at)

My Discovery 1 tops out at 80mph. I venture into lane 3 on occasion if it's appropriate. The speed limit is 70mph so that's not a problem is it? If someone behind wants to do a ton in the outside lane, frankly, sod 'em - you're within the law.
t'other option is to flash your lights. Folk soon move over. If they don't you can always sit there with high beam on for a bit. That usually gets the message across.
It's still not *annoying* or worth getting worked up about.
Reply 44
Original post by mphysical
Again your selfishness outshines your arrogance.

It may not make a blind bit of difference TO YOU.
My point is it causes problems for HGVs etc.
They cannot use the outside lane because it against the law, but you are probably ignorant of that fact also.

Nor do they have the acceleration to do as you suggest here:
So stop the childish remarks

Oh dear. You seem to be a bit slow.... Once again, I have a cat C licence. I'm quite aware of the law.

If you're NOT driving an HGV they are just simply slow moving obstacles which is the point that I made originally.
Original post by JC.
My Discovery 1 tops out at 80mph. I venture into lane 3 on occasion if it's appropriate. The speed limit is 70mph so that's not a problem is it? If someone behind wants to do a ton in the outside lane, frankly, sod 'em - you're within the law.
t'other option is to flash your lights. Folk soon move over. If they don't you can always sit there with high beam on for a bit. That usually gets the message across.
It's still not *annoying* or worth getting worked up about.

Its not holding them up thats the issue. Its trying to merge (safely) into traffic doing 80-90 in a vehicle not capable of quick acceleration.

Also yeah i usually give a flash if im stuck in my lane. If im in the car on a dual carriageway or lane 3 of a motorway i will also indicate right to show my intention to pass, if they doesnt shift them i will give a few flashes.
I'm somewhat confused about this whole situation.

If you drive at 70mph and:

If someone is sitting in Lane 2 at between 57 and 70mph then they are overtaking all the slower heavy traffic in Lane 1. If lane 1 is clear then they should move into lane 1. If lane 2 is obstructed by someone else doing between 57 and 70 mph and who is overtaking someone in lane 1, then you should move into lane 3 and overtake them.

This whole Middle-lane-hogger rage appears to be somewhat hypocritical. The middle lane hogger won't turn their wheel to the left to allow faster cars to pass, but the people complaining about them won't turn their wheels to the right to overtake them... Mutual laziness?

I would be complaining more about people who hog lane 3 whilst overtaking a pair of heavies, don't do >/70mph, and are literally blocking the road. If you aren't doing 70 then you don't have anywhere to be and can wait for the lorry to overtake.
Yeatrerday on the m4 I was doing just over 75 in the middle lane and we were all overtaking the cars in the outside lane.

The cars in the left hand lane were all going in excess of the other two lanes.
Original post by domonict
Yeatrerday on the m4 I was doing just over 75 in the middle lane and we were all overtaking the cars in the outside lane.

The cars in the left hand lane were all going in excess of the other two lanes.

Thats probably 1 prick in lane 3 refusing to move over. Which is many magnitudes worse than middle lane hoggers. As long as you maintain constant speed and are not obviously attempting an undertake maneuver you are fine. However if you move out of lane 3 to lane 2 and obviously accelerate to undertake the **** hogging lane 3 you are both liable to get a £100 fine and 3 points. However the police are more likely to nab the undertaker as it is an easier prosecution sadly.
Very inexperienced motorway driver here (and driving in general I guess). Did my first journey today. I did have a few frustrating moments where I was in the left lane behind a lorry/campervan and was wanting to overtake, but had a car just behind me in the second who I was matching speed at doing about 60mph..really frustrating wanting them to pick up speed or drop off (the former really) so I could change lanes.

I will admit due to the traffic being reasonably steady I did stick in the middle lane for much of the time, as cba with what would have been quite a bit of switching between left and middle. But I was cruising along at 77-78mph, so if anyone came behind and flashed then **** off lol there's a third lane if you want 80mph+. Still I appreciate technically you should be in the left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending