The Student Room Group

The TSR Jewish Society (J-Soc) - thread TWO

Scroll to see replies

Helzerel

Gemz - Thanks sis. *shudders*

I'm always here for you, even if you do insist on pushing me in lakes.
i know someone doing a PhD at a lab in UCL... and they told me that they are having a lot of trouble recuriting students in the trial because they cannot pay students to go ahead with it... it's bull**** but apparently it is not 'ethical' to pay students for such clinical trials... so i offered to help out as a favour...

i'm not entirely sure what the research is about... but it's to do with the virus that causes chicken pox... after having chicken pox, the virus stays in the body all the time but does nothing... many many years later the same virus causes shingles in some people but no one really knows why... so in this trial they are giving people chicken pox virus (varacella zoster virus) and measuring the levels of immune cells in the skin and in the blood...

it isn't dodgy... you have to be very well qualified to run clinical trials... the woman organising it is a registrar, which is the grade below consultant...

what did you do in london?
please don't say starbucks...
They probably went to the V&A museum since it's so cool there.
have never been...

i'm not 'cultured'... :wink:
:vroam:
Bismarck
:vroam:

Don't be silly... Americans can't run...
helzerel
zaf
lol

Socrates

gemsgems: no-one bare yourself

lol

Thumper
Bohie (i.e. ''bohemian'') - I concur. Again.
Gemz - go jump in a lake.
Zaf - I don't like your sig. and anyway, it's just childish to retaliate.
Everyone else - hey.
abusive.

bohemian

If you hate Sibelius though, I can understand that *runs from Jonny*
OMG *throws a sharpened vinyl record of Sibelius 5 at bohemian like a frisbee*
bohemian

It might be a ****hole with a Jewish population of about 5, no shul and more chavs than charity shops (a considerable number) but at least it's not Northern!!
Sums Bedford up nicely. Actually, there sort of is a shul but not really. Actually, forget it. No shul worth mentioning.

Helzerel

Tell us..What occurred as you meandered down Brent Street, NW4 on Thursday afternoon? :biggrin:

You can tell everyone... you were there :p:
Jonathan
You can tell everyone... you were there :p:

That's right folks - we bumped into each other! However, unlike all the other 'I met so-and-so' recently discussed in this thread, which were planned - this was completely coincidental!
Jonathan had no idea that I'd returned (temporarily) to the country, and I hadn't a clue that he was in London for Pesach!! :biggrin:
So obvs we made an arrangement to meet up..which we did - photos are on Facebook. If it came out clearly - check out his name on the bowling alley. :p: My fav. one though is the ones where we're sitting in the Noddy car. :biggrin:

Alex
i know someone doing a PhD at a lab in UCL... and they told me that they are having a lot of trouble recuriting students in the trial because they cannot pay students to go ahead with it... it's bull**** but apparently it is not 'ethical' to pay students for such clinical trials... so i offered to help out as a favour...

i'm not entirely sure what the research is about... but it's to do with the virus that causes chicken pox... after having chicken pox, the virus stays in the body all the time but does nothing... many many years later the same virus causes shingles in some people but no one really knows why... so in this trial they are giving people chicken pox virus (varacella zoster virus) and measuring the levels of immune cells in the skin and in the blood...

it isn't dodgy... you have to be very well qualified to run clinical trials... the woman organising it is a registrar, which is the grade below consultant...

what did you do in london?

OK. So it's legal...does it hurt? Any side effects? How many fingers am I holding up? *waves hand in front of Alex's face*
Seriously though .. hmmm. Ah well, I'm sure you all know what you're doing - if you start to sprout little green tentacles I'll tell you. :wink:

please don't say starbucks...

Yuh....ok..so...I didn't choose where we went. Carl and I just followed the frog...and...I'm not saying anything...:ninja:

gemz
They probably went to the V&A museum since it's so cool there.

:puke:
Helzerel
OK. So it's legal...does it hurt? Any side effects? How many fingers am I holding up? *waves hand in front of Alex's face*
Seriously though .. hmmm. Ah well, I'm sure you all know what you're doing - if you start to sprout little green tentacles I'll tell you. :wink:

lol, i'm fine...
Reply 770
bohemian
Starbucks is very un-fair trade and exploits poor people. Shame on you :mad: :p:

Hello. I'm back from school and Hong Kong and China and Macau.

Gemma is a pleb.

They make rubbish tea too. Yesterday was the first and last time that I go there.
lol... who orders tea in a coffee shop... is it a form of protest?
Just got back from the states - it was more Jewtastic than I had imagined!

I had bagel and/or challah pretty much every day. I had my first blitzes at the Carnegie Deli in NY and they were awesome. Oh and everything in the neighbourhood was shut on Passover, that seemed pretty surreal considering everything is open on Easter Sunday
Revenged
lol... who orders tea in a coffee shop... is it a form of protest?

If you prefer tea over coffee....we TSRers ordered tea in a pub...
cheesecakebobby
Just got back from the states - it was more Jewtastic than I had imagined!

I had bagel and/or challah pretty much every day. I had my first blitzes at the Carnegie Deli in NY and they were awesome. Oh and everything in the neighbourhood was shut on Passover, that seemed pretty surreal considering everything is open on Easter Sunday

Woooo you ate cool Jew food. :biggrin:
Reply 775
Ahem. Gemma and I were conversing politely on msn. We were playing the shotgun (or bagsy, as us Southerners would have it) game and here were the results...
Me: Hashem and where He lives, Moshiach, all the Jews, 3rd temple, Israel, world peace, USA, UK, North Pole, South Pole, Gemma's brain, Abraham, Moses, all the prophets, polonium, smoothies, falafel, hummus, dictator of the world, South America.
Gemz: TSR, winning the game, Western Wall, world to come, Judaism, Torah, transport, good health, happiness, money, films, fit boys, water, music, pizza, chicken, Catherine Tate, space (within boundries of universe), everwhere on earth I haven't bagsyed, Mili, UN.

I blatently win, no? I got Hashem and He's like...yeah. I win.
bohemian
Ahem. Gemma and I were conversing politely on msn. We were playing the shotgun (or bagsy, as us Southerners would have it) game and here were the results...
Me: Hashem and where He lives, Moshiach, all the Jews, 3rd temple, Israel, world peace, USA, UK, North Pole, South Pole, Gemma's brain, Abraham, Moses, all the prophets, polonium, smoothies, falafel, hummus, dictator of the world, South America.
Gemz: TSR, winning the game, Western Wall, world to come, Judaism, Torah, transport, good health, happiness, money, films, fit boys, water, music, pizza, chicken, Catherine Tate, space (within boundries of universe), everwhere on earth I haven't bagsyed, Mili, UN.

I blatently win, no? I got Hashem and He's like...yeah. I win.

Excuseeeee me. You missed out, on my part, Australia (!!!!!), SA, Middle East and Europe. And really, you didn't get Israel, the US or the UK because you BAGSYED it which people don't use anymore. People (North or South, I'm afraid) use SHOTGUN. And you can't shotgun Hashem, sorry. And I shotgunned Avraham, Issac and Jacob first. I clearly won. :biggrin:
Reply 777
Jonathan
OMG *throws a sharpened vinyl record of Sibelius 5 at bohemian like a frisbee*
*sings Mahler very VERY loud. or maybe Shosti. Yes, Shosti. No, Mahler 1. 3rd mvt. w00t*
Sums Bedford up nicely. Actually, there sort of is a shul but not really. Actually, forget it. No shul worth mentioning.

Quel shul? Not the one in Luton? :confused: :confused: :confused:
Reply 778
PS - I also shotgunned IDF, Knesset and all books about Israel.
Gemmy darling, you suck :smile:
I also shotgunned all transport, Bedford, water and Bill Bryson.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending