The Student Room Group

The TSR Jewish Society (J-Soc) - thread TWO

Scroll to see replies

gemgems89
Seminary. Female equivalent to yeshiva. Though you're probably still no wiser. But it's basically an institution where you learn Jewish Studies and texts, ranging from gemara, mishnah, to the actual bible, and Jewish laws. There are also various outings and trips and stuff.

It's not breaking shabbat to meet friends as long as your only method of "transport" is your legs. It's not about working, it's about not creating. Going in a car or similar is igniting a flame which is creating, and that's where the prohibition lies. So if Carl indeed came and met a member of JSoc in a part of London which wouldn't require the JSoccer to travel very far then it'd be feasible.

I see. Yeah I don't know much about Judaism (as you can obviously tell :p:). But it's indeed very interesting and I'm amazed by your age and knowledge. I have a Jewish friend but we hardly ever talk about Judaism and she probably knows less than I do. Well to her defence I must say her father is Jewish (although she says she's a Jew as well).

About the car thing: cars are relatively new invention, how was it before?
Reply 1001
Jews make Thud laugh.

:p:

(and Thud is NOT ginger, Seeareeypee)
Thud
Jews make Thud laugh.

:p:

(and Thud is NOT ginger, Seeareeypee)

:eek: Little birdie told me false information!
Reply 1003
Seeareeypee
:eek: Little birdie told me false information!

That's because he's a lying meanie.
Seeareeypee

Well when cars didnt exist, you STILL wouldnt have been allowed to drive a car!

Be amazed at my age and intelligence. :cool:
*runs around like a headless chicken while all the religious j00s are shabbating*
Phonicsdude
Well when cars didnt exist, you STILL wouldnt have been allowed to drive a car!

Be amazed at my age and intelligence. :cool:

:rofl: Yes, an excellent post!:biggrin:

Surely one wasn't allowed to walk as much as these days or ride a horse?

I must say though that this question is quite possibly one of the most useless Qs ever posed.
Seeareeypee
I see. Yeah I don't know much about Judaism (as you can obviously tell :p:). But it's indeed very interesting and I'm amazed by your age and knowledge. I have a Jewish friend but we hardly ever talk about Judaism and she probably knows less than I do. Well to her defence I must say her father is Jewish (although she says she's a Jew as well).

Hehe, well you're learning- it's cool. :smile: Thanx so much for the rep btw, it was extremely cute. :smile:

What Paulus said. :p: Nah, it wouldn't have been an issue then. I mean the Torah does not specifically say "do not drive your car on shabbat." It says do not ignite a fire and we are told that we musn't create (to imitate G-d who also didn't create on the 7th day), so when cars were invented, the rabbis must have stated that it is forbidden to drive these on shabbat. It's a rabbinical law, you see.
Reply 1008
Bearing in mind that a car engine works on internal combustion, that is to say, lots of ignitions, then surely a car is not compatible with shabbat...
Reply 1009
gemgems89
Hehe, well you're learning- it's cool. :smile: Thanx so much for the rep btw, it was extremely cute. :smile:

What Paulus said. :p: Nah, it wouldn't have been an issue then. I mean the Torah does not specifically say "do not drive your car on shabbat." It says do not ignite a fire and we are told that we musn't create (to imitate G-d who also didn't create on the 7th day), so when cars were invented, the rabbis must have stated that it is forbidden to drive these on shabbat. It's a rabbinical law, you see.

so how'd you eat hot food or stay warm?

and what about a bus? because you're not the one igniting it?
Reply 1010
did lil jewthud go to the rabbis for dinner on friday?
Thud
so how'd you eat hot food or stay warm?

and what about a bus? because you're not the one igniting it?

Food on friday night is cooked before Shabbat comes in. There is then the marvellous invention of a hot plate which stays on throughout Shabbat which one places food on to warm it up again. One can also leave the oven on timers, etc.

Yes, but it isn't in the spirit of Shabbat. Activities that involve creating (even if you're not the one doing it) are still not allowed because Shabbat is meant to be a holy day which must be sanctified, and your regular, mundane activity (such as riding a bus) does not fit the whole atmosphere.

samba
did lil jewthud go to the rabbis for dinner on friday?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: She didn't. Despite my lovely persuassion. Thud darling, you missed out. You better speak to him and get another invite, alwite?
Reply 1012
damn you both ;dry;
Surely putting timers on isnt in the spirit of shabbat? Putting timers on is you indirectly creating an oven to go on or a light bulb to switch on..!

If I became jewish Id be far more orthodox with respect to shabbat.
gemgems89
Yes, but it isn't in the spirit of Shabbat. Activities that involve creating (even if you're not the one doing it) are still not allowed because Shabbat is meant to be a holy day which must be sanctified, and your regular, mundane activity (such as riding a bus) does not fit the whole atmosphere.

Riding a bus on Shabbat is acceptable as long as the bus stops at certain predetermined places, for a set time, so that it isn't actually stopping for people, but is rather stopping for a certain time anyway.

There have been horse and cart (Kosher) versions of this in our history.
Phonicsdude
Surely putting timers on isnt in the spirit of shabbat? Putting timers on is you indirectly creating an oven to go on or a light bulb to switch on..!

If I became jewish Id be far more orthodox with respect to shabbat.

Most people use a hot plate anyway. I don't know many people who do use a timer on the oven tbh... most people either use a hot plate or have cold meats for Saturday lunch. It really does depend how strict you are anyway I guess.

smellielli
Riding a bus on Shabbat is acceptable as long as the bus stops at certain predetermined places, for a set time, so that it isn't actually stopping for people, but is rather stopping for a certain time anyway.

There have been horse and cart (Kosher) versions of this in our history.

Never heard that before. It's not like you see rabbis hopping on the bus to go to shul. Theoretically, it is understandable. But realistically, it simply isn't in the spirit of Shabbat and you won't get many (or any) Orthodox Jews doing that. Additionally, money cannot be handled on Shabbat so you wouldn't be able to pay for it anyway.

Indeed; things are a lot more strict nowadays with regards to rabbinical laws.
Reply 1016
Surely leaving a hot plate on all day is incredibly inefficient?
Reply 1017
gemgems89
Most people use a hot plate anyway. I don't know many people who do use a timer on the oven tbh... most people either use a hot plate or have cold meats for Saturday lunch. It really does depend how strict you are anyway I guess.

Never heard that before. It's not like you see rabbis hopping on the bus to go to shul. Theoretically, it is understandable. But realistically, it simply isn't in the spirit of Shabbat and you won't get many (or any) Orthodox Jews doing that. Additionally, money cannot be handled on Shabbat so you wouldn't be able to pay for it anyway.

Indeed; things are a lot more strict nowadays with regards to rabbinical laws.

bus pass no?

how did Jews manage in history then? because throughout history Jews have been merchants and that but in Christian Europe I don't think the Christians would be all too happy if you didn't sell them stuff on saturdays but tried to on the chritsian holy day sunday?
Surely creating a plate of food is...well, creating!
Reply 1019
Thud
bus pass no?

how did Jews manage in history then? because throughout history Jews have been merchants and that but in Christian Europe I don't think the Christians would be all too happy if you didn't sell them stuff on saturdays but tried to on the chritsian holy day sunday?

Maybe that's how we ended up with a two day weekend...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending