The Student Room Group

Big argument with instructor

Yesterday i had a argument with my instructor, i have been learning to drive for almost a year now off and on so my driving is good just one thing i'm not very good at, turning right at junction/side roads... Anyway so i book a 2 hour lesson i drive up to Failsworth (what a place to take a test right ? lol) and instead of working on junctions in the area he takes me about the roundabouts that ain't even used in the test so i decide to drive where i want and he gets mad starts chatting some ****. Then he asks me to do the maneuvers and ask me the safety questions, then for the last half hour we drive round my area while he is on his phone. I pull up and wait for him to get off the phone and he starts saying i should always listen to him blah blah then he points his finger near my face and then i lost it i won't say what happened but let's just say it was silly. Now i'm banned from his driving school and when i said i wasn't giving him the money for the lesson he said he was gona ring the police lol

Now i have to find another instructor before the 17th

Just a few things to add a few of the lessons i have been on with him he was on the phone and the main thing that really made me mad is he kept telling me where to go even in my area i can drive from my area to the test area without being told when the next turn is i told him many times about that but he kept doing it.....
i think you ve a reason to be angry if he spends time on his phone whilst your doing lessons, finding someone else is a good idea
Reply 2
Original post by Jordy242
Yesterday i had a argument with my instructor, i have been learning to drive for almost a year now off and on so my driving is good just one thing i'm not very good at, turning right at junction/side roads... Anyway so i book a 2 hour lesson i drive up to Failsworth (what a place to take a test right ? lol) and instead of working on junctions in the area he takes me about the roundabouts that ain't even used in the test so i decide to drive where i want and he gets mad starts chatting some ****. Then he asks me to do the maneuvers and ask me the safety questions, then for the last half hour we drive round my area while he is on his phone. I pull up and wait for him to get off the phone and he starts saying i should always listen to him blah blah then he points his finger near my face and then i lost it i won't say what happened but let's just say it was silly. Now i'm banned from his driving school and when i said i wasn't giving him the money for the lesson he said he was gona ring the police lol

Just a few things to add a few of the lessons i have been on with him he was on the phone and the main thing that really made me mad is he kept telling me where to go even in my area i can drive from my area to the test area without being told when the next turn is i told him many times about that but he kept doing it.....

I'm afraid he's right, you shouldn't be driving:

I think them driving instructors are trained or encouraged to be stringent with their pupils because like it's life or death out there on the road, mate lol You gotta learn now to be careful and to listen to everything man tells you, and to keep calm even when he's being a dick.
Original post by futbol
I'm afraid he's right, you shouldn't be driving:

actual lol.
Reply 5
Wow no wonder you're angry. I would be angry too if my instructor had been on their phone for that long. If my instructor got a phone call while I was in the car, he wouldn't answer it and of he got a text, he would ask me if it was OK to read it for a second in case maybe his next student was cancelling their lesson which was fine with me as he would only check it and put his phone back down. I hope you find an instructor in time. Hopefully your old instructor isn't friendly with instructors in your area as word can spread about your argument. That happened with a friend of mine and it took him a while to find an instructor willing to accept him just because his old instructor gave him a bad rep :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know how many times this has been said but it is worth saying again. If your instructor, or supervising driver, is using a mobile phone handsfree whilst you are driving then that is utterly unprofessional. If it is not handsfree then it is ILLEGAL. The same rules apply to the instructor as apply to the driver. If this happens you should stop the car as soon as it is safe to do so and tell him in no uncertain terms that he is breaking the law. Then change instructors.

As far as the rest of your post goes you make some interesting comments but I would be interested to know what actually happened when 'it got silly'. If threats or physical contact were made by him then you need to take this further. If you did the threatening etc. then he is quite right to ban you... I would do the same BUT I hopefully would have enough sense and tact to avoid it getting to that point in the first place. We are professionals and should treat all our customers with respect at all times. However, we also have a right to be treated the same way.
Reply 7
My instructor was playing candy crush when I had my lesson! Needless to say I never had her again...

Just a few points:

Generally you are meant to follow the instructors directions, they are teaching you to drive and it is there car and job. If he was unwilling to take you where you wanted I understand you were angry, but it may have been dangerous to drive your own directions. There may have been a potentially hazardous junction or something you were unaware of. I understand your frustration though, but stay safe.

For him to shout/put his finger in your face was unprofessional and invading your space in a confined area. I would not have accepted that. To be on his phone is unprofessional and illegal. I would not use him again ever and I would maybe even report him.

Driving is hard and I'm glad you are focussing on improving certain aspects you feel uncomfortable with. Please stay safe.
Reply 8
it'll probably be impossible to get an instructor that will just allow you to use the car for a test, most want you to take 5 or 10 hours in such a situation.

You sound like a right spoilt little brat, the reason instructors tell you where to go, even if you're driving around locally, is to get you used to taking directions and following them, you know, just as you'll be doing on test, when you've passed and are in your own car, do what the hell you like, drive where you want, until then, take instruction from your driving INSTRUCTOR

And the roundabouts, maybe he thinks you need extra work on them, you as a learner clearly have no idea how good or bad your driving is, and what needs extra work and what doesn't, the fact you say you're no good at right turns about sums up your driving ability, emerging from junctions is about the simplest thing you could do, you shouldn't even need to think about them as you approach your test, the fact they still need work and your test is in two weeks beggars belief.

If you cant even get the absolute basics right, you may as well cancel your test now, because you'll make a spectacular fool of yourself
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Emma-Ashley
I don't know how many times this has been said but it is worth saying again. If your instructor, or supervising driver, is using a mobile phone handsfree whilst you are driving then that is utterly unprofessional. If it is not handsfree then it is ILLEGAL. The same rules apply to the instructor as apply to the driver. If this happens you should stop the car as soon as it is safe to do so and tell him in no uncertain terms that he is breaking the law. Then change instructors.

As far as the rest of your post goes you make some interesting comments but I would be interested to know what actually happened when 'it got silly'. If threats or physical contact were made by him then you need to take this further. If you did the threatening etc. then he is quite right to ban you... I would do the same BUT I hopefully would have enough sense and tact to avoid it getting to that point in the first place. We are professionals and should treat all our customers with respect at all times. However, we also have a right to be treated the same way.

Yea he would talk on his phone.....
When i told him i wasn't paying him he said he was going to ring his sons and they would come and take the money off me i then told him to ring his sons (waited in the car for 5 mins he never rang them) in them 5 mins i calmed down a bit and thought this was silly and got out the car, as he was driving off he spat out the window at me and sped off so i chased him but he got away.

Original post by kernow24
it'll probably be impossible to get an instructor that will just allow you to use the car for a test, most want you to take 5 or 10 hours in such a situation.

You sound like a right spoilt little brat, the reason instructors tell you where to go, even if you're driving around locally, is to get you used to taking directions and following them, you know, just as you'll be doing on test, when you've passed and are in your own car, do what the hell you like, drive where you want, until then, take instruction from your driving INSTRUCTOR

And the roundabouts, maybe he thinks you need extra work on them, you as a learner clearly have no idea how good or bad your driving is, and what needs extra work and what doesn't, the fact you say you're no good at right turns about sums up your driving ability, emerging from junctions is about the simplest thing you could do, you shouldn't even need to think about them as you approach your test, the fact they still need work and your test is in two weeks beggars belief.

If you cant even get the absolute basics right, you may as well cancel your test now, because you'll make a spectacular fool of yourself

Spoilt little brat lol not really mate just tired of doing the same **** over and over again, on my last test i got 0 marks for undue hesitation the one before that i got 2 marks for it. It's just judging the speed of traffic and seeing a safe gap i ain't to good at.
Yea he would talk on his phone.....
When i told him i wasn't paying him he said he was going to ring his sons and they would come and take the money off me i then told him to ring his sons (waited in the car for 5 mins he never rang them) in them 5 mins i calmed down a bit and thought this was silly and got out the car, as he was driving off he spat out the window at me and sped off so i chased him but he got away.

Spoilt little brat lol not really mate just tired of doing the same **** over and over again, on my last test i got 0 marks for undue hesitation the one before that i got 2 marks for it. It's just judging the speed of traffic and seeing a safe gap i ain't to good at.

Don't worry, apparantley I cause havoc on the road according to this Kernow kid. he's the eyes of all doings

I'd be angry if my instructor spat at me too.
Do you discuss which him (we'll did) what you had concerns on before lessons or at the start?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending