URGENT D1 Completely Baffling Question!!!!!!! HELP

Watch this thread
username2016969
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys, this question has me totally stumped. How would you attempt part B of this question?

This is D1 June 2014 Edexcel.

Name:  IMAG1057.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  298.1 KBAttachment 421875421877
Attached files
Thinking_Aloud
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thebobby)
Hey guys, this question has me totally stumped. How would you attempt part B of this question?
First find the co-ordinates of A,B,C and D and substitute them into the equation p=x+ky.
You know that the value of P for A is < the value of P for D and so you can create and inequality and solve for one value of k.
You can create another inequality using the value of P for C is < the value of P for D, or another statement that is equally correct.
username2016969
Rep:
(Original post by Thinking_Aloud)
First find the co-ordinates of A,B,C and D and substitute them into the equation p=x+ky.
You know that the value of P for A is < the value of P for D and so you can create and inequality and solve for one value of k.
You can create another inequality using the value of P for C is < the value of P for D, or another statement that is equally correct.
Thank you so much for your answer. But how do you know to pair up A with D and C?

Also in the model answer they piar it up like this, why?

Name:  MA.PNG
Views: 141
Size:  133.0 KB
Thinking_Aloud
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thank you so much for your answer. But how do you know to pair up A with D and C?

Also in the model answer they piar it up like this, why?

Name:  MA.PNG
Views: 141
Size:  133.0 KB
Honestly, I paired those up as they were the first pairings to occur to me, but I don't think it matters which two you pair up as long as the statement itself is correct.
In answer to your second question, I think its just because that is the simplest way to gain two different values for k and so find the range. They paired up A and B, and C and D, as you only know for a fact that D has the largest profit and A the smallest, therefore you cannot create an inequality between B and C as you don't know the size of their profits in relation to each other.
I'm sorry if my explanation isn't very clear- I'll try and reword it.
username2016969
Rep:
(Original post by Thinking_Aloud)
Honestly, I paired those up as they were the first pairings to occur to me, but I don't think it matters which two you pair up as long as the statement itself is correct.
In answer to your second question, I think its just because that is the simplest way to gain two different values for k and so find the range. They paired up A and B, and C and D, as you only know for a fact that D has the largest profit and A the smallest, therefore you cannot create an inequality between B and C as you don't know the size of their profits in relation to each other.
I'm sorry if my explanation isn't very clear- I'll try and reword it.
I see so are you saying its a bit of random pairing? It doesnt actually matter how I pair the coordinates up? I could compare say A with C and D with B? as this is what they have in the M/S. Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 113
Size:  16.7 KB
Thinking_Aloud
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I see so are you saying its a bit of random pairing? It doesnt actually matter how I pair the coordinates up? I could compare say A with C and D with B? as this is what they have in the M/S. Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 113
Size:  16.7 KB
Right, I've gone over my working from yesterday and I believe I was wrong to suggest it was a random pairing, sorry.
I believe you have to pair A and B, and C and D as a much broader range is produced when comparing A with C and D with B. I think this is because there is a larger difference between the profits and so a larger range of values k could take, however I cannot find an explanation anywhere.
I believe you would pair the points that would give the highest value for P and the two points that would give the lowest in order to gain the most accurate range for k.
I hope this helps, I'll carry on searching and see what I can find.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (86)
67.19%
No (29)
22.66%
I didn't use it to prepare (13)
10.16%

Watched Threads