The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I rang up UCAS just about an hour ago, and they said that my welcome letter (I applied on the 15th at 11:15 pm UK time) has been sent today! :biggrin:
I sent mine on the 15th December got it on the 20th.
Reply 22

Does the welcome letter contain anything important other than the track number ? (a uni told me my id number via email)
d1va5ta7
Oh man, I sent in my application on the 15th at 11:59 UK time! (it was a last minitue decision kinda thing :colondollar:) If you sent yours on the 15th as well, and live in the states, that means mine may not have been sent out yet. That sucks. I wonder if I call they will give me my info over the phone. If I don't get my letter by Friday, I am calling... I can't wait any longer. I hope it comes tomorrow lol! :redface:

I sent mine the same day, I rung up yesterday and they said it had been processed and the letter had been sent out. I should imagine yours is at the same stage. I haven't recieved the letter yet but I'm hoping it will come tomorrow.

The last two UCAS people last week said they would have been able to give me the number if it had been processed. Unfortunatly it hadn't so they couldn't. I rung up yesterday as they told me so I should be able to get it then. But when I did ring up the woman said she couldn't give it to me due to the data protection act. Which is a bit weird as the last two people said they would have and she's the only person who had the problem with it. Oh well.
Reply 24
To be fair that's not that horrendous junk mailing. They put it in with the information.

I get two or three hand delivered pieces of junk a day plus all those To the Home/Car/Dog/Trashcan Owner jazz. I don't own any of the stuff my house is rented, the car is my boyfriends and we don't have any pets. The trashcans belong to our letting agency! They all go straight in the bin and flyers in my mail go straight in.

It's not as bad as when you sign up for stuff and they send you things all the time-agencies for jobs for example. They're awful for that!
d1va5ta7
Oh man, I sent in my application on the 15th at 11:59 UK time! (it was a last minitue decision kinda thing :colondollar:) If you sent yours on the 15th as well, and live in the states, that means mine may not have been sent out yet. That sucks. I wonder if I call they will give me my info over the phone. If I don't get my letter by Friday, I am calling... I can't wait any longer. I hope it comes tomorrow lol! :redface:

Wow and I thought I was the last one to apply! Anyways, soon after in rung up UCAS, I checked the mail and found my welcome letter! lol! It must have been express express mail :wink:

Now I'm totally addicted to checking track.. haha there go my midyear exams. Where are you applying to?
Reply 26
d1va5ta7

My first choice is UWE :biggrin: I really want to go to Bristol! I don't think I would have even gotten into UoB even if they did have the course I wanted.

I also applied to greenwich, and winchester. I didn't put much thought into my other choices :frown: I really don't want to go to London tho. So I am really hoping I get into UWE!!!!

UWE isn't that hard a place to get in to so you should have a good chance of getting in :smile: although it does depend on what you've applied for, out of all the people from my school that applied (Which is a lot as it's nearby) only one person has been rejected and they were applying for Occupational therapy which is one of those ones you need work ex. and stuff for etc.

Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 27
d1va5ta7
Ahhh that is very reassuring :biggrin:! I really hope I do get in. But your right, I don't think I should have a problem. I did a year of college, a uni prep kinda course, and I did very well. And the grades needed for the secondary school were pretty damn low. I was actually pretty skeptical when I found out how low they were for us lol. All I know is I better get in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of curiosity...
What are you applying for?
Are you applying to any Canadian schools as well?
Reply 28
d1va5ta7
Drama and Politics is my first choice. .....How about you?

I'm just wondering, because 90% (give or take) of the students at my school in BC (and it was a private school) wanted to stay in Canada for uni due to the low cost. Some of them, even some of the really good students, wanted to stay in town for uni because that was even cheaper!

I was even going to say I'd stay in Canada if I were a citizen, but then I remembered I don't want to go to any New York State Schools for cheap so.../shrug

And yes, I applied to some US schools, and there's one I *might* accept if I get in, but only if something majorly changes and I decide at the last minute that I don't want to go to the UK. I thought about applying to UBC because so many of my friends go there and LOVE it, but I ultimately decided I wanted something new :smile:
Reply 29
d1va5ta7
Cheap? Most of my friends can't stop complaining about how much uni costs. It is cheaper then going abroad, but allot none the less. So my friends think I am mad for wanting to go away. I want to go to England, so I don't care how much it costs though lol!

What? Isn't it only like 5k (CAD) a year for Canadian citizens/permanent residents to go to uni there (not counting living costs)?
Reply 30
d1va5ta7
yes, it ranges between about 5-8k and that is allot for people here. The rates keep rising. I think because tuition was around $800 back in the day, the growing trend of students complaining about high tuition has become tradition. And even if 5k was not allot, there are still books, and transport, and if ur living on rez, that plus meal plan (and if u can't pay for that stuff, there is no point in paying tuition). Over a period of 4 years, that all adds up. When you compare that to other places like the rest of Europe, it is allot. Even UK students only pay around 3k for tuition a year. I know that ivy leagues are crazy expensive there, but that doesn't really matter to us here, as we are not going there. So yes, it isn't cheap to us. Especially when you have to take OSAP to pay for it all.

3k GBP is roughly the same as 7k CAD, so it's definitely not cheaper to go to uni in the UK as a UK citizen than it is in Canada as a Canadian citizen.

And I thought the living costs/book costs in Canada were relatively the same as anywhere in Europe or the US (if not cheaper), which is why I didn't include those.

I dunno, or maybe I just think everything is cheap because we Americans get screwed over in terms of uni costs :frown:
Reply 31
d1va5ta7
It doesn't matter what equals what. It matter what is as it is. Exchange rates have not a thing to do the numbers. If a person makes 17k CDN/yr and has to pay 5k tution, and someone else makes 17 GBP/yr and has to pay 3k, who pays less according to simple math? plus in some schools in the UK, residents don't have to pay until the END of studies. It is definitely cheaper for UK students. AND most courses there are only 3 yrs, in canada most are 4.

Ok...you obviously don't understand exchange rates.
Both Canada and the UK are modern countries. Although I'm sure there is a loss of money somewhere in the exchange, it's not like someone who makes 17k in Canada is going to move to the UK and make 17k in GBP. The salary is adjusted to the value of the money there...which is why someone who pays 5k in Canada is still paying relatively the same amount as someone who pays 3k in the UK when you look at the college cost: average income for X job ratio.

You are right about the course length, however, but there are pros and cons to each system: In the Canadian/US style of teaching, you could argue that someone comes away with a broader knowledge in more topics (due to the liberal-arts style of education) and it's worth the extra price/year. But it really depends on the individual as to what would suite them better.

Right, because 500-1000 for books a year is cheap!! You must obviously be rich, and maybe your friends are as well. I wish I was, and I am sure my friends do as well. I don't know what possesed you to think our books are cheaper?

Umm...actually, when I said that I put living costs and books in the same category. I don't think books are cheaper in Canada. I think they are the same price as everywhere else. I do, however, think living costs are probably cheaper in most of Canada than in most of the UK and the US, simply because of the laws of supply and demand.
Canada has more uninhabited land and less people per square mile. Also, it is cold, so there aren't as many people rushing to buy up property as in, say, Florida....the fact that more land is available = more supply. The fact that it's not the coziest place to live = less demand. Therefore, living costs would, logically, be cheaper in much of Canada than they would in much of the US and UK. Cities like Toronto and Vancouver are always expensive though, because demand is large for any metropolitan area.

Also, I am not rich. I am decidedly middle-class. I went to private-school in Canada because some relatives who were concerned for my well-being in my home have a lot of money (due purely to success in their chosen careers, not through family money) and paid for me to go there.

I am currently (and was for most of my life) living with my single mother (on a teacher's salary) and brother in New York, attending public school with other lower-to-middle-class people, and I am about to attend uni purely on private loans that *I* am going to pay off after university. I am not rich.

americans can always go to state schools if they want to cheaper tuition. you don't HAVE to go to harvard. then the amercans would be paying the same so called cheap rates as us.

True, Americans do have state schools. But most state schools are mediocre at best, and many students (such as I) do not want to stay in the same state they've spent their whole life in for another 4 years. University is about expanding your horizons, and I just don't feel like that happens if you stay in the same place.

So then, as an American, you have two options: apply to a private university (and no, it doesn't have to be harvard. There are TONS of private colleges that are not ivy-leagues or even close to ivy-leagues) or apply to a state school for a state you don't live in.

State schools for non-residents are 15k-20K USD in tuition alone. They also only accept about 10-30% of their applicants from out-of-state, and the competition is fierce for any decent state university.
Private schools (which many of my lower-to-middle-class friends went to simply because it fit what they were looking for) cost $30-50k a year in tuition alone.

You're right - as an American, you don't HAVE to go to Harvard. But if you want to leave state, you are automatically paying the same price internationals pay in the UK and Canada at the minimum. Usually it's more.

So yeah, you can go to uni for 5-10k in the US at a state-school. But UK and Canadian citizens are lucky in that paying 5k doesn't mean staying super-close to home and choosing between 2 decent schools and 3 crap ones.

I can't believe I just wrote that much in response to your post.
d1va5ta7
I got my letter yesterday :biggrin:!!!! It was dated then 19th. I am surprised I got it so soon, as I live in Canada lol!

I hope you get your letter soon tho :biggrin:

Thank you, I got mine today.
Reply 33
I got gumph from Bangor saying they want my ass in the post today :biggrin:
Reply 34
what and ever forms whatever one word. by seperating them you lose the meaning you were aiming for!

Theres no need to be bitchy at the end of the day is thread is about letters from uni to help us all feel a little bit relaxed not for a canadian education vs. uk education showdown!

Offers take ages I've had one offer and one interview offer and I've been in the system since just before christmas! It's so horrid waiting.
Reply 35
I'm not attacking you I'm pointing out you've attacked a thread to send messages that are basically saying to people I don't care about your opinion.
Then you complain that I'm not comfortable with your opinion. Yes you are entitled to your opinion but other people are also entitled to respect.

I don't think you're a bitch but you are coming across as being bitchy, I wouldn't base a judgement on someone as being based on one comment.

Also I'm not sure what it was vs. what the poster said UK fees were cheaper, someone said about the exchange rate, then it got into going out of state to study and the costs in relation to UK uni costs so the UK was definitely involved.

What- pronoun 1. used interrogatively

Ever- adverb 1. at all times

so you're using a pronoun with an adverb to say interrogatively at all times or something to it's effect.

Whereas your desired meaning was the meaning of whatever which is
1. used to indicate indifference to a state of affairs

Is that slightly clearer? By seperating the words with and you didn't emphasis although that was desired you simply creating a nonsensical phrase. Although I suppose you could claim it was colloquial except it's not commonly used in that way or exclusive to an area or group.
Reply 36
However as it is an open thread you must be aware that every comment is viewed by everyone and therefore your audience, be them passive or active, is a collective and the word people is applicable.

Although I am not particularly pedantic I would like to point out that English isn't your native tongue American/Canadian is. There are distinct lexical and grammatical differences. As well as geographical.
I sent my application on the 12th Jan. No mail yet, and I'm more close to UK than Singapore :rolleyes: I'll call in ucas next week
Reply 38
the_silent_reader
I sent-in my UCAS application on the 12th of Jan and haven't received the "welcome letter" yet! This is the message I get when I log-in and this hasn't changed in the last 6 days:

Your application has been sent to UCAS and will be processed shortly. After it has been processed, you will be sent a welcome letter, which will show your application number. You can then log in to track the progress of your application...

How long does it normally take for UCAS to send the "welcome letter"? I hope my application was actually received. I hope there's not been a technical goof up. A bit worried...:frown:
(I'm applying from Singapore)

i submitted mine on the 14th of jan and got mine last week... around the 20th... and i'm in pak... i think it just depends on something ... maybe loads of ppl applied from singapore and um.. they've got too many to track
Reply 39
I am well aware of the functions of a comma however when I'm typing a brief message I choose not to use it. I study A-Level English Language so I do have some grasp of how to use ENGLISH in ENGLAND.

You claimed to be North American in one of your previous posts hence I put American/Canadian, because I wasn't sure which you'd prefer me to refer to you as. So you speak Canadian English, big whoopee, I speak ENGLISH ENGLISH. You know, the original. I don't need to put my country before the language because it's my country's language.
Try pulling your grammar stick out of your *COUGH* sometime.

Latest

Trending

Trending