The Student Room Group

In islam, are we allowed to work with embryos from terminated pregnancy?

Basically I applied for a job, in my interview they said the embryos I have to work with is from terminated pregnancy, but I am not sure If we are allowed to do this in islam, does anyone know.
Islam is a perfect religion and the Quran a perfect book valid for all times in all places, there's gotta be somewhere inthe infallible words of God that covers such an issue, that never arose in 7th century arabia.
Surely if you are not aware of any passage then it is Ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by quantum gravity
Islam is a perfect religion and the Quran a perfect book valid for all times in all places, there's gotta be somewhere inthe infallible words of God that covers such an issue, that never arose in 7th century arabia.

Lol, that sarcasm.
Original post by DiddyDec
Surely if you are not aware of any passage then it is Ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is just ridiculous :hand:

So just because the qur'an doesnt say for you to do something, it's ok to do it? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
Lol, that sarcasm.

Not really

That guy's a muslim

Jokes on you fam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Prince edmund
Not really

That guy's a muslim

Jokes on you fam

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have had conversations with said member in which he has made anti-Islam comments or comments that could be interpreted as critiques.
I have had conversations with said member in which he has made anti-Islam comments or comments that could be interpreted as critiques.

Maybe he's trolling

Or maybe he's just playing devils advocate

Posted from TSR Mobile

So just because the qur'an doesnt say for you to do something, it's ok to do it? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as the original question goes then yes.
Lol, that sarcasm.

Lol, Finally someone got it...:yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
I cant understand exactly what you mean, so you want to work on dead embryos ? Nothing wrong with that, ofcourse you can do that.
Original post by B_Boy_Turco
I cant understand exactly what you mean, so you want to work on dead embryos ? Nothing wrong with that, ofcourse you can do that.

Terminated embryos, there is a difference. The simple question should be, is abortion allowed in Islam? If it is then there should be no problem, if not then, no it can't be right.
Original post by dozyrosie
Terminated embryos, there is a difference. The simple question should be, is abortion allowed in Islam? If it is then there should be no problem, if not then, no it can't be right.

Does it matter how it died ? Its died in any case. You are also not allowed to kill anyone but this does not mean you cant work on the someones' murdered corpse.
Maybe you could look at it as although the embryo never got to fulfill its purpose and become a human being, now it can be used to help other people :smile: That is assuming you're doing stem cell research
Does it matter how it died ? Its died in any case. You are also not allowed to kill anyone but this does not mean you cant work on the someones' murdered corpse.

I did some research into it, and it seems that after 120 days, termination is not allowed in Islam, I can't see that working on embryo's older than that would be acceptable.
Original post by dozyrosie
I did some research into it, and it seems that after 120 days, termination is not allowed in Islam, I can't see that working on embryo's older than that would be acceptable.

Pretty sure you can't get 120 day old embryos so I can't see that being an issue :P
Original post by Helloworld_95
Pretty sure you can't get 120 day old embryos so I can't see that being an issue :P

Yes, that's a good point, never thought of that, silly me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As the Qur'an was made to accommodate all situations, all that is written in it is stone.
If something isn't covered then it means it isn't deemed an actual topic to consider.

(Or that people a few thousand years ago don't have an all seeing god who tells them about all of the things that are going to happen which would just make the people go and make the stuff early WHERE IS MY TELEPORTER DAMMIT)

But seriously, either the book cares about the topic, or it doesn't and so you should consider if it doesn't tell you not to.
If it's 'within his will' then let him stop you, but as there was no groundwork set for these situations then use the free will he gave you to decide whatever you want.

Not allowed to kill someone unless they are not part of your religion or race otherwise you are free to go kill.

And yes the quran says you can freely kill pagans.
Just like christianity says you can keep slaves if they are pagan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending