The Student Room Group

Should I be worried? (hole in tooth)?

Basically I ate something about a month or so ago that was dark and I thought that something got well stuck in between my big tooth and the tooth next to it but I couldn't see as it was in between the two teeth.

To this day, just over a month ago, there is what appears some dark/black hole in the gap. I am hoping it is that piece of food. However, I have flossed well in there and it hasn't come out. I have done mouthwash etc and it's still there.

I can only think of 3 things. A natural gap in my tooth which isn't obvious to the eye (somehow don't think it is this though), food that is somehow solidly stuck to the side of my tooth ( I'm trying to imagine how it can be so stuck) , or some kind of decay/hole?

I must say I have been having pain in my mouth of late (last 6 months or so), however this is not coming from that part of my mouth. This is to do with my wisdom teeth coming through and causing swelling/soreness etc (or so it feels anyways).

But ye, I don't get pain where the black spot thing is. Obviously I have to see a dentist which I will book tomorrow but I'm really worried actually cas I haven't ever had a hole in my mouth so I'm feeling panicky.

Any ideas?
you say you've had this for months but you haven't been to the dentist?
Original post by Danny McCoyne
you say you've had this for months but you haven't been to the dentist?

Well about a month actually.
it's literally like a small spec that has been there for a month.
Just go see your dentist for a check up and ask him about it.
Original post by le_darkhorse
Basically I ate something about a month or so ago that was dark and I thought that something got well stuck in between my big tooth and the tooth next to it but I couldn't see as it was in between the two teeth.

To this day, just over a month ago, there is what appears some dark/black hole in the gap. I am hoping it is that piece of food. However, I have flossed well in there and it hasn't come out. I have done mouthwash etc and it's still there.

I can only think of 3 things. A natural gap in my tooth which isn't obvious to the eye (somehow don't think it is this though), food that is somehow solidly stuck to the side of my tooth ( I'm trying to imagine how it can be so stuck) , or some kind of decay/hole?

I must say I have been having pain in my mouth of late (last 6 months or so), however this is not coming from that part of my mouth. This is to do with my wisdom teeth coming through and causing swelling/soreness etc (or so it feels anyways).

But ye, I don't get pain where the black spot thing is. Obviously I have to see a dentist which I will book tomorrow but I'm really worried actually cas I haven't ever had a hole in my mouth so I'm feeling panicky.

Any ideas?

You ate something black?:| Like food or..?
Original post by The-Deadly
You ate something black?:| Like food or..?

Well like a cake or something I guess. I can't remember the food but I remember eating something that got really stuck inside there and I remember not being able to get a bit out. I just notice it more and more all of a sudden so I'm not sure why that is.
Well like a cake or something I guess. I can't remember the food but I remember eating something that got really stuck inside there and I remember not being able to get a bit out. I just notice it more and more all of a sudden so I'm not sure why that is.

You don't smoke do you?
You don't smoke do you?

nope, never.
nope, never.

Is there any swelling in your gums?
Is there any swelling in your gums?

Yep a bit. Well I had braces up until february so there was a natural swelling. I have swelling around my wisdom tooth where it came through but that's far away from the point. I do have a bit of swelling mind but the dentist have see that in the past and just told me to mouthwash etc which I do. My teeth are really clean actually.
Yep a bit. Well I had braces up until february so there was a natural swelling. I have swelling around my wisdom tooth where it came through but that's far away from the point. I do have a bit of swelling mind but the dentist have see that in the past and just told me to mouthwash etc which I do. My teeth are really clean actually.

Try this, it can get rid of the pain:

1) Fill a glass of water, boil it in a kettle.
2) Get some salt, put about 5 teaspoons in the water.
3)Mix it with a spoon.
4) Before making sure it's not too hot, drink some of the water. Gargle it for about 10 seconds and swish it around your mouth. Repeat this step until all the water is finished.

Your mouth may feel salty however do not wash it out. Leave it for 10-15 minutes then wash it out. Let me know how it goes:smile:
Yeah you should be worried. You have Ebola OP you are going to die lel
Try this, it can get rid of the pain:

1) Fill a glass of water, boil it in a kettle.
2) Get some salt, put about 5 teaspoons in the water.
3)Mix it with a spoon.
4) Before making sure it's not too hot, drink some of the water. Gargle it for about 10 seconds and swish it around your mouth. Repeat this step until all the water is finished.

Your mouth may feel salty however do not wash it out. Leave it for 10-15 minutes then wash it out. Let me know how it goes:smile:

I've done very similarly to this before but might just do it again. Does help sometimes. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest