The Student Room Group

Roughly how long should it take me to lose a stone?

Hi!
I'm 20, 5ft6" and currently weigh about 10st 10lbs (so my BMI is classed as healthy but on the upper end!). I'm a size 10-12 but really want to get down to a proper 10 - I've guessed that this would be if I weighed around 9 and a half stone from past experience.

Any idea on how best to achieve this goal? I can't really afford a gym membership at the moment (I'm on my summer break from uni without a job :frown: ) so ideally, the biggest change will be in my diet.

I wouldn't say I ate really unhealthily at the moment. Generally, I'd eat weetabix for breakfast, a sandwich or plain jacket potato for lunch and then a pasta or rice based meal in the evening - I think my biggest problem is portion control!

I'm planning on cutting out as many carbs as possible and replacing them with veggies (as my diet currently consists of no veggies). Does anyone have any idea how long it would take me to actually lose weight if I replaced my pasta, rice and potato based meals with things such as omelettes, chicken and veg, tuna salads etc?

Tl/dr: how long will it take to lose a stone if I'm not currently overweight but cut out carbs from my diet?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by elleOx
Hi!
I'm 20, 5ft6" and currently weigh about 10st 10lbs (so my BMI is classed as healthy but on the upper end!). I'm a size 10-12 at the end but really want to get down to a proper 10 - I've guessed that this would be if I weighed around 9 and a half stone from past experience.

Any idea on how best to achieve this goal? I can't really afford a gym membership at the moment (I'm on my summer break from uni without a job :frown: ) so ideally, the biggest change will be in my diet.

I wouldn't say I ate really unhealthily at the moment. Generally, I'd eat weetabix for breakfast, a sandwich or plain jacket potato for lunch and then a pasta or rice based meal in the evening - I think my biggest problem is portion control!

I'm planning on cutting out as many carbs as possible and replacing them with veggies (as my diet currently consists of no veggies). Does anyone have any idea how long it would take me to actually lose weight if I replaced my pasta, rice and potato based meals with things such as omelettes, chicken and veg, tuna salads etc?

Tl/dr: how long will it take to lose a stone if I'm not currently overweight but cut out carbs from my diet?

You can still do exercise without a gym membership.

Your diet looks pretty sensible as do your meal suggestions.

I'd say cut your calories like you said and then take up running or cycling. You're on summer break so you've got plenty of time.

I'd suggest going for a run every day, even if it's just 20 minutes. Build it up and you'll start to see the difference. If running isn't for you, find an exercise that is.

Also, it's lifestyle, so once you begin this, you should stick to it. Otherwise your weight will just yo-yo.

Hope this helps
Reply 2
2lbs a week so 7 weeks?
one stone = 14 lbs, 500 cal deficit = 1 lb per week, 750 = 1.5 lbs per week etc
1lb a week is doable.
Reply 5
1-2 lbs a week is healthy and achievable.

As for method, I recommend downloading the app called 'myfitnesspal' and logging your food through it. It will help keep your calorie count at a good level to achieve your goal. Also make sure you are having exercise with this, take care that you are not drinking the calories instead, and you will be successful. It helped me and my family like nothing else so it is very recommended.

Calorie counts are more important than what you types of food you eat exactly (though to be healthy that is important too!)

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by elleOx
Hi!
I'm 20, 5ft6" and currently weigh about 10st 10lbs (so my BMI is classed as healthy but on the upper end!). I'm a size 10-12 but really want to get down to a proper 10 - I've guessed that this would be if I weighed around 9 and a half stone from past experience.

You should firstly work our your BMR (base metabolic rate) which will show you how many calories your body burns just living day to day without exercise. and as someone has stated below, you want to be working on a calorie deficit to lose a healthy 1lb a week. If it comes off much quicker you will not be eating a sustainable number of calories and after your "diet" you will just put the weight back on. Ideally you should look to do some level of moderate exercise at least 3 times a week, and do not cut carbs altogether, simply substitute for healthier versions. A Lot of vegetables contain carbs that people are not aware of. Make switches to brown rice and pasta etc.

Good luck, I hope this was helpful.
Reply 7
Original post by MasonMk
1-2 lbs a week is healthy and achievable.

As for method, I recommend downloading the app called 'myfitnesspal' and logging your food through it. It will help keep your calorie count at a good level to achieve your goal. Also make sure you are having exercise with this, take care that you are not drinking the calories instead, and you will be successful. It helped me and my family like nothing else so it is very recommended.

Calorie counts are more important than what you types of food you eat exactly (though to be healthy that is important too!)

Good luck!

Calorie counts are definitely not more important than the types of food you eat. Yes if you cut to 1000 - 1200kcal a day you can still lose weight eating 10 kit kats a day but there is no nutritional value. With a healthy diet and exercise the average 5ft 6 female at around 10 and a half stone could train 3 - 4 times a week and still eat around 1500kcal maybe more to lose 1lb a week. This would then me something easy to maintain and does not put the body into starvation mode. This simply adds up to a yoyo diet and is not good for the body.

Latest