The Student Room Group

Peter Hitchens on sex education.

[video="youtube;z6Xr2ekw8Cg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Xr2ekw8Cg[/video]

Scroll to see replies

I've only listened to the first few minutes but that is completely ridiculous ( the measures alleged to have been introduced to schools) and this is coming from a moderniser!
Original post by Davij038
I've only listened to the first few minutes but that is completely ridiculous ( the measures alleged to have been introduced to schools) and this is coming from a moderniser!

Listen to the whole thing. Otherwise what is the point. Mr Hitchens makes some very good points about the goal of the Puritan Liberals being to destroy the family and increase dependency upon the government. Though the real aim is to destroy the High Tory state.
Reply 3
To rephrase a wise man, the Hitchens brothers are dying in the wrong order...
Original post by 9910224

Indeed.
His views are that of a nanny-state Christian conservative. Sweep sex under the carpet and pretend it isn't going on. His argument also hinges on conflating correlation with causation.
(edited 8 years ago)
cliffs?
Christopher >> Peter

I want women to have access to the morning after pill because want them to have the choice. It's got nothing to do with handing power from "the family" to the state. It's about people have access to this stuff and having a choice. It;s about individual choice over the likes of Peter who would probbaly support the state interfering in people's sex lives. What does he want. The morning after pill banned? How is that not the state interfering. The concept of marriage is about the state butting in people's personal lives.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Christopher >> Peter

I disagree. Christopher was pretentious and naive. Peter on the other hand, has a sense of humour and speaks a lot more blunt truth than Christopher does.
Original post by Need2Study4Exam
I disagree. Christopher was pretentious and naive. Peter on the other hand, has a sense of humour and speaks a lot more blunt truth than Christopher does.

I'm not a massive fan of either but Christopher made much better arguments and wasn't so god dam conservative (except when he described himself as a conservative Marxist :tongue:). Probably why I preferred him.
(edited 8 years ago)
[video="youtube;T9qoUXu-JsE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9qoUXu-JsE[/video]
Original post by 9910224

Well that is an original thing to say. :facepalm2:
Original post by TorpidPhil
Indeed.

Are you saying that you want Peter Hitchens to be dead?
Original post by william walker
Are you saying that you want Peter Hitchens to be dead?

I'm saying I'de much rather he was dead than his brother. I wouldn't want him dead though, that's way over the top.
Original post by Quantex
His views are that of a nanny-state Christian conservative. Sweep sex under the carpet and pretend it isn't going on. His argument also hinges on conflating correlation with causation.

Indeed he wants the liberty family to be protected by institutions, laws and enforced by the government.

Deterred, not swept under the carpet.

His argument hinges on the government manipulating the people in a way he dislikes, rather than a way he likes.
Christopher >> Peter

I want women to have access to the morning after pill because want them to have the choice. It's got nothing to do with handing power from "the family" to the state. It's about people have access to this stuff and having a choice. It;s about individual choice over the likes of Peter who would probbaly support the state interfering in people's sex lives. What does he want. The morning after pill banned? How is that not the state interfering. The concept of marriage is about the state butting in people's personal lives.

What people want is meaningless, what actually happens is what matters.
Original post by Quantex

I haven't listened to the thing OP posted as I don't have time right now. But I remember once seeing Hitchens on a programme (I think it was question time) and he was basically saying that sex education causes teenage pregnancies to increase. Did he bring that up again in the thing OP posted?

I just feel sorry for those in certain states of the USA, where such views are taken more seriously and abstinence-only sex education is actually a real thing in a lot of schools. They get taught very misleading and inaccurate things, often motivated by religion. At least in this country such attitudes aren't taken very seriously by most people.
(edited 8 years ago)
What people want is meaningless, what actually happens is what matters.

What happens?

Well women have a much better lot in life and control of their own destiny after the sexual revolution happened. Easily available contraception, morning after pills and access to legal abortions have all helped done this. It's been overwhelmingly positive. That's what happened.

His argument hinges on the government manipulating the people in a way he dislikes, rather than a way he likes.

So he is a hypocrite then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RFowler
I haven't listened to the thing OP posted as I don't have time right now. But I remember once seeing Hitchens on a programme (I think it was question time) and he was basically saying that sex education causes teenage pregnancies to increase. Did he bring that up again in the thing OP posted?

I just feel sorry for those in certain states of the USA, where such views are taken more seriously and abstinence-only sex education is actually a real thing in a lot of schools. They get taught very misleading and inaccurate things, often motivated by religion. At least in this country such attitudes aren't taken very seriously by most people.

No he is saying the loss of belief in Protestantism after WW1 causes it. Along with the law not being enforced and lack authority coming from the family. He really is saying sex education doesn't stop or decrease teenage pregnancies, which the Puritan Liberals say it does. So he is saying the people who oppose what he seeks to maintain are wrong.

What does the US have to do with anything? We are talking about Britain.
What happens?

Well women have a much better lot in life and control of their own destiny after the sexual revolution happened. Easily available contraception, morning after pills and access to legal abortions have all helped done this. It's been overwhelmingly positive. That's what happened.

So he is a hypocrite then.

Mass killing of the unborn by mainly male doctors to enable man to have sex with more women and not have to deal with the once natural consequences. It is the strong and already grown humans taking away the life and lives of other weaker humans. Then saying it is good that they can do this and aren't stopped from doing so by the government or objective morality.

Really the killing of millions of human beings and the destruction of the family is positive?

No he just has different views about things from you. He seeks to maintain the Liberty of the family, ahead of the freedom of the individual or the justice of the collective. I as a High Tory seek to do the same thing.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending