The Student Room Group

University open day

Hi

Now I know this is a strange question but how many open days are you planning on going to (or been on) this year?
I just want to get an idea so I know how many to go to.
Reply 1
Think I went to 6
Reply 2
I went to 1 and I'm not even going to that university in September.
Reply 3
I've already been to 12 and have 3/4 left
Reply 4
I think I can only go to about 5 or 6 because my parents won't let me go to two universities in a weekend.
Also, I don't understand why there are so many open days on one day. Why can't there be more in July and August?
I went to 3, and visited another once I'd already applied. Kind of wish I'd been to more but they're so much trouble to get to!
Original post by NT226
Also, I don't understand why there are so many open days on one day. Why can't there be more in July and August?

Most unis will have another open day in the autumn, as well as post-application open days, don't worry if you can't make a specific one.

And I went to four, only two of which were pre-application, so I applied to every uni I visited.
Reply 7
7 or 8 I went on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I went to one.
Original post by NT226
Hi

Now I know this is a strange question but how many open days are you planning on going to (or been on) this year?
I just want to get an idea so I know how many to go to.

I went to 4 universities. For me it was enough to make a final choice!)
I'm going on 6 this year, would go to 5 but I've got two that stuck between and one is really close to me. I've got my first tomorrow at Birmingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NT226
I think I can only go to about 5 or 6 because my parents won't let me go to two universities in a weekend.

Because there are no students and lecturers there. You won't see the place in action or get a chance to ask questions.
I am going to 3 (went to one today)
Original post by NT226

They've got lots of factors to balance - for instance
- it needs to be after A Level exams so that people have time to visit
- putting it on a weekend will mean that more people visit as parents aren't at work
- ideally it needs to be before the schools break up for summer, as schools often bring groups by coach
- it needs to be early in the summer holidays as staff (especially academics, who are needed to deliver subject sessions) will use the summer holidays for things like annual leave and research trips
- running the open day too far into the summer holidays will mean that more students will have gone home / graduated and so it's hard to get enough student ambassadors to work on the day
- you don't want to put it too close to results day, because often it will be the same staff who are involved in running the open day and confirmation and clearing, and they can't do both simultaneously
- for October open days, there are pressures for universities which attract candidates also applying to Oxbridge, or who offer medicine / dentistry / vet med, as those open days need to be before the October 15th deadline

Posted from TSR Mobile
Went to one, firmed my place that day I was so impressed by the lecturers enthusiasm and answers to my questions
Lots of sensible TSR advice about going to University Open Days here :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_Open_Days

Films from the University of Bristol Open Days here - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/watch/ - will give you an idea of what to expect.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Are the September/October open days the same as the summer open days? Because one of my teachers said that these weren't as good as the summer ones.
Been to 4 so far (Bath, Warwick, Nottingham and Birmingham) and plan on going to 3 more this summer (Oxford, Surrey and Southampton) and will plan the September ones later on.
Original post by NT226
Are the September/October open days the same as the summer open days? Because one of my teachers said that these weren't as good as the summer ones.

If it's billed by the same name (i.e. Open day, not campus visit etc) then it will be fundamentally the same.

I suspect your teacher is either mistaken, some wires have got crossed, or they just want to encourage people to go earlier in the hope that this will mean they submit their UCAS form in a more timely manner.
Original post by NT226

At Bristol http://www.bristol.ac.uk/opendays/ these Open Days are identical, and this will be the same at other Universities.

If anything, the September Open days will be more useful to you as you will have had a chance to look carefully at Uni/course websites over the summer and think more carefully about what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending