The Student Room Group

Some clarification re refusal to submit evidence.

Some clarification re refusal to submit evidence. Hi guys yes I know it's way over the ideal deadline but I have a few student finance questions. Don't want to go into it but had major words with the parents over this and they have held up my application and ONE parent is now refusing, So my questions are as follows;

Do both parents if they live in the same house have to submit evidence for either evidence to count? (I assume yes since it's household).

I am unsure if I have to officially have the parents removed from my application for it to progress or will I just be rejected for anything means tested? (I assume this is just the higher maintenance grant from what I have read, I ask because it says it can delay your application by a further 6 weeks due to causing a reassessment)
(edited 8 years ago)
Both parents have to submit evidence. You can't just have a parent removed from your application form; it will just mean you can't get anything means tested.
The application system will wait for evidence for a certain amount of time, then if it doesn't get it the application will automatically switch to non means tested.

You can call SFE to have them switch it to non means tested sooner for you if you're worried about it being delayed.

Switching it to non means tested doesn't mean that you can't switch it back to means tested later.
Original post by Sylar2010
Some clarification re refusal to submit evidence. Hi guys yes I know it's way over the ideal deadline but I have a few student finance questions. Don't want to go into it but had major words with the parents over this and they have held up my application and ONE parent is now refusing, So my questions are as follows;

Do both parents if they live in the same house have to submit evidence for either evidence to count? (I assume yes since it's household).

I am unsure if I have to officially have the parents removed from my application for it to progress or will I just be rejected for anything means tested? (I assume this is just the higher maintenance grant from what I have read, I ask because it says it can delay your application by a further 6 weeks due to causing a reassessment)

Yes both parents must supply information for you to get anything more than the minimum maintenance loan of around £3,000 a year. You would need to call sfe up and say you want to go non means tested to get this, otherwise they will still be waiting for parental evidence.
Original post by applicationa

Switching it to non means tested doesn't mean that you can't switch it back to means tested later.

You can change this up to 9 months after your course starts.
Original post by OU Student
Both parents have to submit evidence. You can't just have a parent removed from your application form; it will just mean you can't get anything means tested.

Ah I wasn't clear one of them is refusing to submit to means testing so I did need to have them removed from the system. They said they would do it (stringing me along for months claiming they would fill it out 'next week' until it got to this point, and refused when I literally made them go to the website)

Original post by applicationa
The application system will wait for evidence for a certain amount of time, then if it doesn't get it the application will automatically switch to non means tested.

You can call SFE to have them switch it to non means tested sooner for you if you're worried about it being delayed.

What I assumed but given my application is now late due to this glad I rang up SF to sort it. FYI to remove a parent did you all know they have to write a snail mail LETTER?

Original post by jelly1000
Yes both parents must supply information for you to get anything more than the minimum maintenance loan of around £3,000 a year. You would need to call sfe up and say you want to go non means tested to get this, otherwise they will still be waiting for parental evidence.

What I feared....

Original post by OU Student
You can change this up to 9 months after your course starts.

Oh right.

---------------

Thanks for info everyone you guys help to make a bad situation that bit better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending