The Student Room Group

Really want to be a teacher but don't think i'm capable

Hi, I graduated last summer and since then I've not got a graduate job and have been working in retail.

Recently I've decided to go for teaching. Well I've always wanted to be a teacher since high school but having low confidence and anxiety put me off. I plan to get school experience when schools open again and want to apply for a RE secondary PGCE 2016.

However, right now when I think of myself as a teacher I get scared. I don't have the confidence do go infront of a class and teach. Just thinking that my teaching will impact the performance of pupils in their GCSE and A Levels worries me and it seems like a really big responisibility.
Original post by chloeww
Hi, I graduated last summer and since then I've not got a graduate job and have been working in retail.

Recently I've decided to go for teaching. Well I've always wanted to be a teacher since high school but having low confidence and anxiety put me off. I plan to get school experience when schools open again and want to apply for a RE secondary PGCE 2016.

However, right now when I think of myself as a teacher I get scared. I don't have the confidence do go infront of a class and teach. Just thinking that my teaching will impact the performance of pupils in their GCSE and A Levels worries me and it seems like a really big responisibility.

I felt like that too :smile:

Teaching is a bit like acting - you can adopt a persona in the classroom that is 'firm but fair' and confidence will come.

It's a great job watching children grow into young people - rewarding and exhausting at the same time.

Teaching RE means you will have lots of classes so lots of names to learn but passing GCSE RE is not as critical as maths so there is less pressure. In my school we don't give NQTs Year 11 or Year 13 classes so they don't have the worry of external exams to prepare the students for in their first year of teaching.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've felt like this for years and I'm tired of having a downer on myself. I think they are normal feelings and a sign that you'd be a good caring teacher.

I'm determined to get onto a teacher training course by Sept 16 (or sooner if I can get a January start, I'm going for fe).

Having a downer on my potential has seen me work in some awful jobs over the years. I'm tired of it. Don't fall into this trap!
To be fair I want to be a teacher also. Though my confidence is pretty low and I ain't the best of students.... as I almost failed first year. However I always believe that as long as you have the determination to keep going and keep trying, you shall be fine. I always think that if you feel your not ready to become a teacher straight away, you could try working towards being a teaching assistant at first, or a support worker, or helper to begin with. Then by taking slow steps, and starting by doing something small you should be able to grow in confidence as time goes by.

It might be good to do a pgce first, then probably gain a little experience bit by bit. With gaining little bits of experience it should help you in building your confidence and help towards becoming a teacher. I honestly know how you feel because I want to become a teacher too, and I know that teaching is a big responsibilty and can be daunting. Though with time your confidence will increase as long as you keep pushing yourself, and facing your fears head on.
Reply 4
Original post by chloeww

Hi :smile:

If confidence is a problem, I would suggest firstly getting a good amount of experience in a school setting and being back in the classroom as an adult. Seeing what it's like in the classroom from an adults perspective may help you, plus being able to talk to the teachers will give you a realistic insight into what they do.

Also, maybe try tutoring before applying for a teacher course as this will allow you to get a glimpse into lesson planning, communicating with students etc. and will hopefully serve as a bit of practice in an educational role.

I think the thought of being in front of a class and dealing with the students and the workload can seem so daunting, but I found the more classes I observed in different schools, the more I saw how teachers deal with things differently. And also, there are major plus points and positive things to teaching, don't get disheartened too soon!
Reply 5
I had problems with low self confidence and social anxiety, still do, and I was accepted for 2 salaried School Direct positions.

I tutored throughout university and spent 2 years working in schools after graduating. This year I was a TA and that really helped me to see what to do and what not to do as a teacher.

I am still pretty nervous but I definitely could not have started a teacher training course straight out of uni.
Reply 6
Original post by chloeww

I'm going to be a bit of a damper here but I would consider very hard whether you will feel comfortable teaching secondary school when combined with low confidence/anxiety issues.

Behaviour management is a very big thing in both primary and secondary school. The main difference between the two is that with secondary students, they are often very aware of whether you are anxious or not, and consequently can make things much much more stressful for you. With primary school, whilst you do get behaviour issues, it's much more easier to be assertive with younger children generally.
Original post by chloeww

Many PGCE applicants, regardless of their subject, will feel exactly the same prior to training. Unless they have already had tonnes of experience, or of such a flamboyant personality, some nerves will be natural. Behaviour management etc. will be addressed in the training. After all, you are a potential teacher, not an established one. I don't think any training provider will put you in front of a whole class teaching from Day 1, not even Teach First. Often you'd be asked to do observations, maybe do some group work, then co-teaching, before being 'unleashed'. Your confidence will hopefully be built up with experience.

I understand your doubt with regards to GCSE and A-Levels. Indeed, many teachers may have the same doubts with all the changes this government has put forward. In a way, not taking teaching lightly can make you an even better teacher as you will continuously seek to improve on your knowledge and pedagogy.

Just try to get some school experience (Teaching Line has a School Experience Program you can sign up to). It may not be as bad as you imagine. Try both secondary and primary if you can, just to see the contrast. I am not a natural extrovert or a confident person, but having experiences and knowing what to expect did help me quite a lot. You will never know until you've spent some time in schools.
Reply 8
My classroom persona is completely different from me as a person! In the classroom, I'm commading, enthusiastic and pretty captivating. I can can keep pupils interested and I don't let the little things bog me down.

Teaching is an act - the way you act in a classroom is just one big performance. My first ever lessons on my PGCE were disastrous - I was so unconfident and I even let some yr 9 girls bully me... But I just carried on learning and finished my teaching practice with the highest grade.

Teaching is one of those professions that you're never going to be the best at - there are new challenges to face every day and there are new developments to be made every lesson. It's about continuously developing and perfecting.

Passion is important, and it sounds like you have that. So go for it? What's the worst that could happen?
Reply 9
Original post by Samus2
My classroom persona is completely different from me as a person! In the classroom, I'm commading, enthusiastic and pretty captivating. I can can keep pupils interested and I don't let the little things bog me down.

Teaching is an act - the way you act in a classroom is just one big performance. My first ever lessons on my PGCE were disastrous - I was so unconfident and I even let some yr 9 girls bully me... But I just carried on learning and finished my teaching practice with the highest grade.

Teaching is one of those professions that you're never going to be the best at - there are new challenges to face every day and there are new developments to be made every lesson. It's about continuously developing and perfecting.

Passion is important, and it sounds like you have that. So go for it? What's the worst that could happen?

Thank you everyone for your replies. It has made me feel better about going into teaching.

However, the thing is I've pretty much always been quiet /shy all my life. So its going to take me time to change. Being an only child I didn't really interact with kids my own age. My parents were always working and we lived in a countryside where there was no one nearby. Looking back at my old primary/ junior school report the first thing itmentions is me being a quiet child. I used to literally hide whenever someone came our to our house. My parents thought I'll grow up to become outgoing and confident but it didn't really happen. Although, I have improved a lot at uni. Doing a law degree kind of forced me to do mooting , speak up in seminars etc but I still think I'm not outgoing as other people especially when meeting new people.
Don't worry too much about it. Your confidence will grow as your expertise increases. Plus, being quiet/introverted doesn't necessarily have to hold you back; teaching requires you to be assertive, but not necessarily the life and soul of the party.
I agree that gaining experience in schools is the best way to asses whether it's for you and whether you should go for it.

OP - since you want to teach secondary, it could be really helpful for you to help out/ volunteer in a few secondary subjects. For example as well as RE you could observe some other lessons, and this could help you decide that RE is for you or that you might actually find a passion for another secondary subject!

In the new school year it's best to apply and ask if you can start the following month though - I've known schools to reject volunteers simply because the first few weeks are too busy and not in full swing yet.
Original post by chloeww
Thank you everyone for your replies. It has made me feel better about going into teaching.

However, the thing is I've pretty much always been quiet /shy all my life. So its going to take me time to change. Being an only child I didn't really interact with kids my own age. My parents were always working and we lived in a countryside where there was no one nearby. Looking back at my old primary/ junior school report the first thing itmentions is me being a quiet child. I used to literally hide whenever someone came our to our house. My parents thought I'll grow up to become outgoing and confident but it didn't really happen. Although, I have improved a lot at uni. Doing a law degree kind of forced me to do mooting , speak up in seminars etc but I still think I'm not outgoing as other people especially when meeting new people.

You sound like me. Especially the hiding bit. I still do that now (thought tbf, when I'm at home I'm always in my pyjamas with scruffy hair:lol:).
I'm applying for primary teaching in 2016 and I don't think I've even got much of a chance of passing the interviews because I'm so quiet and unconfident! If I can grow some balls and go for it, anybody can. I mean it, anybody who has met me says I'm painfully shy and awkward. In my first year of experience in a school, I was hopeless, turned down the opportunity to read to the class multiple times, couldn't even stand in front of them without feeling horrendously uncomfortable. And they were FIVE YEAR OLDS! :lol:
Now I've got bags more confidence and finally learnt how to say 'no' to the children etc:lol: I've taught small groups and led the whole class. So I assure you, as the least self-confident person ever, it WILL come. It just might take a while.:tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I feel the exact same way and I've had a years experience of being a full time teacher. I'm 22 and want to do my PGCE in further education (college) come September but I'm dreading not only the course but the interviews too. I'm not excessively shy nor am I very outgoing. But I do need to work on my confidence, although I know it will get better.

Last year I was teaching abroad (grade 5) and I was thrown in the deep end with just 5 minutes of advice and then GO GO GO!! It wasnt a smooth transition into teaching and I was so nervous and scared but I got through it. And if I can get through that, anyone can. I was 21 at the time, fresh out of uni with no PGCE and no prior experience except tutoring.

But I am worried about doing a FE PGCE. I want to teach English literature so I know I'll be needing extensive subject knowledge but the thought of not knowing how to answer a student is realy daunting. And being up in front of a classroom to a much older age group also scares the hell out of me. But I know this is what I want to do and hopefully it will get easier.
Out of interest if you want to teach lit, why are you worried about your subject knowledge? If your enthusiasm for teaching lit is present at all then hopefully that means you must already be good at it.

Plus, when you say about answering a student's question, what do you mean? Lit is not a question of right/wrong in the same way as (say) maths.
If a student is wrong...you correct them. Simple. If you do not have the knowledge to correct them/spot when they are blatantly wrong then I would be worried about entering this field.
If you don't know if a student is right or wrong then you can always go down the 'let's find out together' road.
However, this is less likely to happen as lit is more about interpretation. So you can give a student your interpretation, but also invite them to give their own, and then you can both discuss it together.
Original post by chloeww

Heard of Explore Learning? (http://www.explorelearning.co.uk/)

It's a tuition place where kids get help with their maths / english / phonics / literacy. You work with a maximum of 6 kids at a time and they do programs on the computer that has all sort of algorithms to keep the program at the right difficulty, making them do the same types of questions over until they get them right.

I work there and its really good- not boring like retail is.

It would give you experience working with kids (which you need when applying to be a school teacher anyway) and would help raise your confidence working with kids to show you you are capable of teaching them things.

As for the anxiety you will get more confident over time. I know that doesn't really help, I have social anxiety myself - maybe speak to a counsellor or if its really bad see about the possibility of taking a drugs.

Ask your local schools if you can observe some lessons so you can familiarise yourself with the environment.
Reply 16
It's alright, my english teacher is incompetent as ****. If he could be a teacher I am sure you can achieve your goals as well :smile:
Original post by Angelil
If you do not have the knowledge to correct them/spot when they are blatantly wrong then I would be worried about entering this field.

I currently teach A-Level and I'm like this everyday, depending on the topic :colondollar:
Original post by chloeww

Hi, Amanda here at BCU! I just wanted to tell you about Jamie Barry - he studied our Primary Education with us and became one of Birmingham's youngest headteachers. He's shared some of his advice on getting ahead in teaching which might help you. See: www.bcu.ac.uk/how-to/jamie

Good luck!
Like everyone else said, gaining experience is really important. But if I'm honest, you won't really know whether you can hack it or not until you're actually faced with it.

I'm very similar to you. Rather outgoing around friends but at first the thought of standing in front of a class of 30 teenagers scared the life out of me. But I went for it and six months into the PGCE, I'm loving it. It is somewhat of an act, at first you really have to make an effort to be confident and not seem to let things phase you (although of course they will under the surface!) but my confidence has come on leaps and bounds to the point where I'd now rather be teaching 10 hours a week than just 1. It's normal to be nervous and anxious at first, especially when each lesson feels like a milestone in itself and there's so much build up. But once you get into it and increase the teaching load, your confidence comes more naturally because you're more experienced, know the classes better and know your teaching style better. I'm also use a good sense of humour to get me through! If you make a mistake or say something wrong, as long as you can laugh at yourself, it'll be fine. Plus then the kids are laughing with you and not at you. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending