The Student Room Group

Patent Attorney with a 2:2 or 3rd in Chem? or should I forget this and do a masters?

My story goes I studied A levels in Biology, Chemistry and Physics with grades attained at AAA (all first attempt without retakes).

Originally, I wanted to do medicine but failed to get a place after applying first time (during Year 13) and once again during the subsequent gap year.

I ended up doing chemistry which I didn't enjoy at uni and found little motivation or joy from doing this course since my dream and passion was always to become a medic.

I was supposed to graduate last year after being given a chance to re-take for one semester of exams (3 papers in total) due to illness.

Now I was supposed to sit these papers initially last year in Jan, then retook them later in the year during the summer but because of illness, I had to apply for another chance to sit the papers to the special considerations team who once again offered me the chance this year in Jan but with full time work as an IT technician and with illness haunting me again just prior to exams, I once again failed these exams but again I got another chance to sit these exams this month, as you can see my degree is just dragging on!

I promised myself this would be the last time no matter what but looking at my prospects I cannot see myself just settling for a third degree!!!

This time around I had to be admitted into hospital very recently (2 weeks ago) because of glandular fever - its like I've been cursed!

So its been next to impossible for me to prepare for these exams coming up, so I have decided that I will not sit these exams, however I am contemplating on whether I should apply to retake these papers in Jan 2016.

I require around 70-75% to average a 2:2 in my degree, so the pressure is high but in my heart I know I can do this, if I study flat out for about few months.

However a major issue I'm facing going forward is that I've been diagnosed with depression, something I've had for about 7 years without knowing until now - perhaps coinciding with my heartbreak of failing to get into medicine, so I'm struggling to be self-motivated and feel really hopeless and worthless. Words cannot express how distraught and how low I feel, it's the biggest low point of my life.

I feel like I've failed in life and I'm behind everyone; all my friends have graduated and working, holding successful career prospects.

Since I have no hope getting into medicine, I had aspirations of becoming a patent attorney but is there any chance of reaching this goal with a 2:2 or a 3rd? or is it just wishful thinking from my side?

Or can I make a transition from Patent Administrator to an Attorney instead?

If not, are there any graduate jobs or firms that can take a chemistry degree classification with 3rd? Or would it be worth to do a masters? (if i can get in)

As you can see I am stuck and have no idea on how to proceed from here.

Really appreciate the time for reading this and any input that could be of help.

PS: With my history of illness (including depression) could I be accepted under "mitigating circumstances" for a graduate job career/masters degree where the entry requirements are higher than my degree classification?
Reply 1
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/patent_attorney_entry_requirements.htm

According to the above central careers website, you need a 2:1 minimum to be a patent attorney.
Hey,

After reading this, I know the Department of Education are desperate for graduates with degrees in Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Computing Science... You can get training grants and normally are fairly generous even for graduates with a 2:2 and in some cases a 3rd.

I know it's not a medicine based profession, but schools (secondary) are crying out for teachers in the STEM group of subjects, so who knows... Maybe it's worth a shot?

Hope you get that 2:2 as I know depression/anxiety can be a major distraction in University studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending