The Student Room Group

Callin clearing - What would I say?

I'm trying to be prepared just in case I have to go through clearing.
When calling up universities, what can I expect them to say at first or what would I need to say?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kirsty_000
When calling up universities, what can I expect them to say at first or what would I need to say?

The first thing would be your name, clearing number and which course you're interested in.
They'll want to know your
- name
- UCAS number
- clearing number
- what course you're interested in
- grades and subjects
- email address
- phone number (it's common for them to ask for two, in case they can't get through to you on one)

Just start the phone call by saying what subject you're interested in and they'll take you from there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thank you both!
Have either of you been through the process?:smile:
Reply 4
Whats a clearing number
Original post by The_Game
Whats a clearing number

It will show on Track if you are in clearing- it allows universities to quickly access your full application.
Thank you both!
Have either of you been through the process?:smile:

I was offered an alternative course choice by my firm choice on results day so didnt end up in clearing personally. But if theres any other questions you do have I should be able to get you an answer if I dont know myself.

Original post by The_Game
Whats a clearing number

A number ucas gives you when you go into clearing which you then give to the unis so they can access your application when you call them up:smile:

The people at the other end will have a script to guide you through what they need to know, and on the first page of some of them it says to remember that people are upset and stressed so make sure they are reassured and treated kindly. Don't worry too much.
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
The people at the other end will have a script to guide you through what they need to know, and on the first page of some of them it says to remember that people are upset and stressed so make sure they are reassured and treated kindly. Don't worry too much.

Thank you. This is all just in case but I want to be prepared. I'm worrying about answering the any questions that might catch me off guard
Thank you. This is all just in case but I want to be prepared. I'm worrying about answering the any questions that might catch me off guard

They won't. They'll be nice, and it may never happen.
Reply 10
Thank you all for helping. Does anybody have any particular advice?:smile:

Stay calm and do your research in general:smile:
Original post by claireestelle
Stay calm and do your research in general:smile:

If I miss both my firm and insurance on results day how do I go about it?

Do I ring up both those universities and plead them to let me in with lower grades??

Also what numbers do I ring I'm really confused??

My course is medicine so it doesn't enter clearing so I'm really lost about the whole process. Thanks.
Original post by buxtonarmy

Do I ring up both those universities and plead them to let me in with lower grades??

My course is medicine so it doesn't enter clearing so I'm really lost about the whole process. Thanks.

See the flowchart in my signature:smile:
Original post by PQ
See the flowchart in my signature:smile:

I'm on mobile so I can't see it, help :frown:

Phone a dead cert first - somewhere you know you have the grades and that looks like a place you could be happy.

Start the day with a yes and something "ok" to fall back on before you ring anywhere riskier. It'll let you get a feel for how the phone calls go and ease the panic if you get "no" from your later phonecalls.

No, if it says unsuccessful unless there's anything you can tell them that they didn't already know then there's nothing you can do unless you were a very near miss (say a couple of UMS from the grades you needed) AND are planning on getting a priority remark but universities dont have to accept remarks. If it still says conditional that's when you should call them.

Either admissions or the unis clearing hotline.

If you end up in clearing will you be intending on going for a course that gets you into grad medicine or going for something new? ( its not my area but i ve heard that GEM is pretty uncertain so you should only try for that if you ve no other options apparently)
I'm on mobile so I can't see it, help :frown:

http://i.imgur.com/CXKjMMe.jpg

Hey, I went through clearing myself after not getting the grades I needed. First of all preparing for it as you've done is the best way to deal with it! If you're really unsure about what to do I'd take a look at other universities courses through clearing that you may like to do this evening, and make a note of their required grades and the clearing hotline number!

The other thing I'd recommend is making a note of your clearing number, and all your grades from GCSE as some universities will ask you for them and its easier to have them to hand than to scrabble looking for them!

If you've got any other questions I'd be happy to help, I'll be on Staffordshire Universities Twitter and Facebook until 4pm today and from 8am - 2pm tomorrow answering any questions anyone has under #staffsclearing!
Reply 19
Original post by emmajames3
Hey, I went through clearing myself after not getting the grades I needed. First of all preparing for it as you've done is the best way to deal with it! If you're really unsure about what to do I'd take a look at other universities courses through clearing that you may like to do this evening, and make a note of their required grades and the clearing hotline number!

The other thing I'd recommend is making a note of your clearing number, and all your grades from GCSE as some universities will ask you for them and its easier to have them to hand than to scrabble looking for them!

If you've got any other questions I'd be happy to help, I'll be on Staffordshire Universities Twitter and Facebook until 4pm today and from 8am - 2pm tomorrow answering any questions anyone has under #staffsclearing!

Thank you! Something I'm a little worried about is questions to ask the university. As I've already researched the courses quite a lot, I don't know what they would like to hear me ask without thinking I haven't done my research?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending