The Student Room Group

Ear lobe piercing care after healing period?

I'm just a little confused about how I should care for the piercing after I've taken the starter stud out. I had my ear lobe pierced 8 weeks ago and the starter stud is till in. I've cleaned it with warm salty water three times a day every day since then and so I'm ready to change it. The stud I'm looking to replace it with is made of sterling silver, which is a quality metal and is perfectly safe metal to replace the stud with. Though I've heard you shouldn't leave any sort of earring in your ear for too long as it'll get infected. I would've thought if you left the hole empty overnight, it would close up. Hope someone on here who's been pierced before can lend some general advice on caring for it after the starter stud is taken out.

Thanks,
Joe
Hi :smile: I have 5 ear piercings, it is totally okay to change your stud as long as the site of isn't red or hurting. It won't close up entirely overnight but in the early days it may begin to heal back over if you sleep without your piercing which just means that it would hurt slightly when you put the jewellery back in. Personally I would just change the piercing if you want to and make sure that you look after your personal hygiene but if it isn't infected now, changing your stud and sleeping with it in won't cause an infectionI hope that helps!
Reply 2
Original post by francescarlett
Hi :smile: I have 5 ear piercings, it is totally okay to change your stud as long as the site of isn't red or hurting. It won't close up entirely overnight but in the early days it may begin to heal back over if you sleep without your piercing which just means that it would hurt slightly when you put the jewellery back in. Personally I would just change the piercing if you want to and make sure that you look after your personal hygiene but if it isn't infected now, changing your stud and sleeping with it in won't cause an infectionI hope that helps!

Thanks for your help francescarlett :-)
Would you recommend carrying on cleaning the new stud with salty water? Or did you stop doing that after the starter stud?
Original post by JoDru
Thanks for your help francescarlett :-)
Would you recommend carrying on cleaning the new stud with salty water? Or did you stop doing that after the starter stud?

It is a personal thing, if you would feel more comfortable cleaning it then go for it :smile: Personally, I would just make sure that it gets clean with normal water when you shower and just clean it with the saline solution if it feels painful or if you've been swimming etc. Just remember that over cleaning it can cause problems and that if there is 'gunk' it is gross but it is just dead skin and part of the healing process. Lobe's are sturdy, they won't easily get infected so you're more or less in the clear now :smile:
Reply 4
I would definitely stop cleaning now, I had my second lobes done 5 weeks ago and I don't even clean them every day just make sure that the shower stream gets onto them okay. I would definitely give your earrings a change now, to give them some air and you'll be able to get all the gunk out!
Reply 5
Thank you both for the advice. Feel much better about it now :-)
I've had my lobes pierced for about 10 years now (a scary thought). Don't worry about the hole sealing up, that will only happen if you leave jewelry out for ages (I'm talking about 3 years mine took to start sealing over fully).

I currently use withchazel once a day to clean my ears, but that's because of a problem with my left ear, not a common thing. Typically though, I would normally clean my ears once a week with a cotton pad and witchazel. I cannot stress how good that stuff is at cleaning. My Mum does her ears with witchazel once a month.

Changing jewelry is fine, and so is sleeping without it (I sleep without anything in my right ear at the moment).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending