The Student Room Group

Walking Home Alone At Night

Hey,

I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but I want to make my first year of Uni much better than highschool. I am going out of my comfort zone to attend a freshers event a day.

I also found three interesting night/clubbing events, however I am worried about how I will get home in a city (Glasgow), which I barely know. I have a huge fear of walking alone at night. I live about 30-40min away from University. I'll also be living in private accommodation, where there aren't any other freshers from my uni I could go home with.

Should I just avoid going to the clubbing events altogether?

Scroll to see replies

taxi? bus (depending on how late they operate)?
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
taxi? bus (depending on how late they operate)?

Since the bus station is kind of far from my flat, I think I'll splurge on taxi rides.
Original post by majatheaztec
Since the bus station is kind of far from my flat, I think I'll splurge on taxi rides.

How are you going to get to uni every other day? Can't you just do it that way? A taxi that far will be really expensive.
I'll be taking the bus. Well the bus station is about 10min away from flat. I'm just not comfortable with walking there at night :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be taking the bus. Well the bus station is about 10min away from flat. I'm just not comfortable with walking there at night :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have someone walk with you? You can friendzone him later as well :lol:
Original post by zyzzyspirit
Have someone walk with you? You can friendzone him later as well :lol:

HAHAHAH so far I've only found one other student from my uni, but I don't think he is keen on going to the clubbing events :frown:
Taxis in Glasgow are dead cheap so I would go with those. Walking home alone after a night out is never a good idea, regardless of where you live. It won't make your year any better or worse if you go home in taxis, it just makes you far less vulnerable.
Just phone a private hire taxi, they're usually like 50% cheaper at least than a black cab. I use them all the time in Glasgow, I love this city but my boyfriend was mugged once coming home from a night out so I don't walk home alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holy crap yikes definitely scared of stuff like that! Do you know the name of a private hire cab company? Is it Network ACS Private Hire or like Uber?>___<

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Holy crap yikes definitely scared of stuff like that! Do you know the name of a private hire cab company? Is it like Uber?>___<

Posted from TSR Mobile

West end radio cars is the one I think I've used in the west end, their number is 0141 954 2000. You just call them and they come pick you up, if you know when you'll be leaving it's better to call them in advance as they can sometimes take a while to arrive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vitamin D
West end radio cars is the one I think I've used in the west end, their number is 0141 954 2000. You just call them and they come pick you up, if you know when you'll be leaving it's better to call them in advance as they can sometimes take a while to arrive :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you soo soo much! :smile:
I'd say just do it, after a few times you'll be a lot more happier about it once you're more familiar.
I don't think you understand how much women generally fear of getting raped. In addition I do have a serious phobia of being assaulted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean, I'm not a psychologist but I know with things like this that forcing yourself to do them makes you realise that there's nothing to be worried about. I know that by the time I got back from my travelling I was walking down streets without thinking about it that I would have taken a massive detour to avoid when I started!
Hey,

I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but I want to make my first year of Uni much better than highschool. I am going out of my comfort zone to attend a freshers event a day.

I also found three interesting night/clubbing events, however I am worried about how I will get home in a city (Glasgow), which I barely know. I have a huge fear of walking alone at night. I live about 30-40min away from University. I'll also be living in private accommodation, where there aren't any other freshers from my uni I could go home with.

Should I just avoid going to the clubbing events altogether?

If you are feeling this way there may be others who live nearby or will be willing to see that you get home safely. I had concerns like this when I went to a London Uni and I made some close friends in a private group before Uni started and we always made sure each other got home safe. :smile:
Original post by Tiger_Tiger
If you are feeling this way there may be others who live nearby or will be willing to see that you get home safely. I had concerns like this when I went to a London Uni and I made some close friends in a private group before Uni started and we always made sure each other got home safe. :smile:

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way :smile: I hope to make friends during orientation week so we can do the same!
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way :smile: I hope to make friends during orientation week so we can do the same!

I'm sure you'll find lots of people feel that way, just remember you're not alone! I think someone else mentioned a cab number further up the post, always make sure you have at least 2 taxi numbers saved into your phone and written down somewhere in case your phone dies. We students are all in the same boat and all have our concerns, you'll make friends soon enough :smile:
Some universities have deals for students like a discount or a freephone in the union

Also some have a system that you can register with (?) so that if you don't have the cab fare , the union will pay on your behalf then you owe the union. So no excuse not to use a cab late. Although the cost needs to be factored into a nights money.

Some also used to do a free(?) minibus that dropped people off
Just party until the morning :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending