The Student Room Group

Vegan at uni?

A question for any vegans at uni or who have been to uni would be appreciated too!): what's your experience with getting food and toiletries (both on and outside of campus)? I'm guessing they're as easy to get as they are out of uni since there's loads of shops around most unis, but if that's not the case I'd like to know. I'm not bothered much about mock meats/cheeses/general expensive specialty items, but I would like to know how widely available plant milks are at uni.

And If anyone has experience from York, Sussex, Kent, Essex, Loughborough, East Anglia, Portsmouth or Aston that'd be particularly appreciated as that's my current short(long)-list of unis :smile:
(Non-vegans please weigh in too if you have any advice, I just assume that vegans would have more of an idea is all)
The only problem I could possibly see you having with being able to get the food you need and are used to is if you go to a campus uni or a uni in a very small town. As that would most likely mean you only have a select few shops which are likely very small. Smaller shops don't tend to stock a large number of products, so they go with what the majority buy. Not the minority, and unfortunately you're in the minority.

Though a possible solution could be online shopping, however you'd have to check if your accommodation allows for that. Some can be pretty ridiculous.
You can get plant-based milk at pretty much any supermarket store, as well as other vegan products.
The only difficulty that may occur is if you are living in catered halls where there may not be much variety in terms of vegan products, obviously this depends on the uni.

Honestly though there's plenty to eat/make meals from with fruits, vegetables, pasta, beans etc. And I wouldn't base my uni choice off the availability of vegan food as it's all quite easy to manage. Now if you're talking about restaurants that will be a bit different as you'll find a lot more vegan friendly places in cities in comparison to small towns.
Reply 3
http://www.happycow.net has listings of health food stores as well as veggie and vegan eateries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by psychleah
A question for any vegans at uni or who have been to uni would be appreciated too!): what's your experience with getting food and toiletries (both on and outside of campus)? I'm guessing they're as easy to get as they are out of uni since there's loads of shops around most unis, but if that's not the case I'd like to know. I'm not bothered much about mock meats/cheeses/general expensive specialty items, but I would like to know how widely available plant milks are at uni.

And If anyone has experience from York, Sussex, Kent, Essex, Loughborough, East Anglia, Portsmouth or Aston that'd be particularly appreciated as that's my current short(long)-list of unis :smile:
(Non-vegans please weigh in too if you have any advice, I just assume that vegans would have more of an idea is all)

I'm not sure about the main shop on campus at UEA, but Unio, one of the cafes, does some nice vegan muffins/cakes. A quick google of vegan shops Norwich found this
http://www.rainbowwholefoods.co.uk/shop.jsp- a veggie shop selling vegan products

and this directory lists vegan shops all over norfolk including norwich
http://vegfolk.co.uk/index.php/shops/
Original post by psychleah

Hello!

I am studying at Essex and I know that all the restaurants have meals for vegans :smile:
Take a loot at the link below - you can find the list with all the restaurants in campus. They all serve vegan food.
http://www.essex.ac.uk/catering/colchester/default.aspx

I am not sure about the milk, but there should be soya milk in the SU shop!

Hope that helps :h:,
^Andriana

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending