The Student Room Group

Worried my degree will be a dead end

I am entering into my final year (4th year as Scottish student), with an outlook of 3rd/2:2 degree. I have an incredible amount of stress at the moment, both due to personal circumstances (my mum selling her house and finding somewhere to live), a job which I can't afford to live without but is exacerbating depression and anxiety, and the effect that NEEDING a job will have on my academic performance this year.

And now, I feel it will all be a waste of time anyway because I will not only have a low degree classification but also no relevant experience, as I can't find any part-time lab work anywhere.

I'm currently doing Neuroscience and would ideally like to go down the clinical/graduate medicine route, but just can't get over how much I've messed it all up.

I guess I'm looking for support, or advice, or even examples of how others have dealt with this. Anything really would be hugely appreciated.
Sounds like a difficult situation to be honest. Is there any way you'd be considered for extenuating circumstances?

Honestly, with a 2.2/3rd you'll struggle to get onto a grad entry medicine course or even a masters in neuroscience course. I think your best bet would be to finish the year and your degree as best as possible and then look for relevant jobs in the sector. With some work experience under your belt you may be able to apply for grad entry medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Sounds like a difficult situation to be honest. Is there any way you'd be considered for extenuating circumstances?

Honestly, with a 2.2/3rd you'll struggle to get onto a grad entry medicine course or even a masters in neuroscience course. I think your best bet would be to finish the year and your degree as best as possible and then look for relevant jobs in the sector. With some work experience under your belt you may be able to apply for grad entry medicine.

Thank you for taking the time to reply alleycat393. I'm not really sure if it would or wouldn't be classed as extenuating circumstances. I was initially officially diagnosed with depression around 3-4 years ago, and have spent approximately half of the time medicated and doing well, and the other half off medication and being really unpredictably up and down but trying to ride it out without needing to back on medication. With all of the other factors and the thought of my degree being all but a waste of time it is now at a stage where I know I need the support again. But I'm concerned the uni will look at is as "trying to come up with excuses" or something like that, I've faced similar responses from individuals in the past.

In terms of the relevant work experience, I was planning on that anyway as my partners in the Armed Forces (not helping the vicious cycle of my mental health) and we want to try and settle life down a bit before I try and go for Medicine. But again, with a lower class degree and no relevant experience is this really likely?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cee.cee
Thank you for taking the time to reply alleycat393. I'm not really sure if it would or wouldn't be classed as extenuating circumstances. I was initially officially diagnosed with depression around 3-4 years ago, and have spent approximately half of the time medicated and doing well, and the other half off medication and being really unpredictably up and down but trying to ride it out without needing to back on medication. With all of the other factors and the thought of my degree being all but a waste of time it is now at a stage where I know I need the support again. But I'm concerned the uni will look at is as "trying to come up with excuses" or something like that, I've faced similar responses from individuals in the past.

In terms of the relevant work experience, I was planning on that anyway as my partners in the Armed Forces (not helping the vicious cycle of my mental health) and we want to try and settle life down a bit before I try and go for Medicine. But again, with a lower class degree and no relevant experience is this really likely?

1) Don't let your depression do the talk! So no "it would not help to ask", "they will see it as excuse" (totally irrelevant how "they" see it, anyway, it is your degree).

2) Can you take a year out? So that you can maybe earn enough, wait until stress calms down and get yourself in a place, which makes it possible for you to get the highest result you could get?

3) The relevant work experience is something you can get after the degree, so don't worry about it now, one step after another!

4) If you need them: take the medication and do therapy as well! (Sorry, but your description sounds as you would have finished taken them and then got worse, without doing something against. While I know, it is difficult or impossible with depression, right now, you obviously want to change it, so start now again!)
Original post by cee.cee

Your best bet is to contact the uni and see what they have to say. Please don't assume what they will think and carry on without support when you know you need it.

I can't say for sure whether it's likely or not because there are a lot of factors that are taken into consideration when unis look at grad entry medicine applicants because they come from a range of backgrounds and with a range of experiences. Your best bet is to get in touch with unis closer to when you're wanting to apply and see what they have to say. This is thinking about a long time into the future, Your plans and/or interests and circumstances may change.

Overall, I'd say focus on the now. You need help to get through your degree as best as possible then look for it from whatever sources are possible. Do your degree as best you can and then think about what next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending