The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2016 University Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hi I'm currently a retail manager (12 years service) previously attended university (Psychology Bsc) decided whilst on maternity leave that i actually loathe the company I work for but love people and want to make a difference where it matters so decided to look into nursing, applied and have an offer off Swansea uni, so terrifying!!!
What are you currently studying: Access to HE: Science.

Which universities are you applying to: UEA(Offer), Leicester(Offer), Hertfordshire(Pending), Middlesex(Pending) and Brighton(Offer)

Which course(s) do you want to do: Molecular biology and genetics

Any other info you feel like sharing: If the job prospects were better or I was a braver man, I would much prefer to study Philosophy. UEA will probably be my firm with Leicester as my insurance but that's to be decided after the applicant days next month. Also I feel I should have applied to better unis as I wasn't confident on getting any offers but I'm very happy with UEA and Leicester.
Reply 102
[QUOTE="Neenbean76;61927157"]
Original post by Snufkin
Hi mature students, are you applying to university this year? Post and tell us where! :awesome:

What are you currently studying/have studied: HNC Social Care
Which universities are you applying to: Edinburgh
Which course(s) do you want to do: Social Work
Any other info you feel like sharing: Mum of 5, aged 39 (40 at start of course if accepted!!)
I can safely state that since receiving acknowledgement of my application today, I have been filled with complete nervous panic!

Hi Neenbean

I'm also applying to do social work this year having spent the last 18 years in teaching and am just keeping everything crossed now that I get a place! Good luck :smile:
[QUOTE="rashnag;62076145"]
Original post by Neenbean76

Hi Neenbean

I'm also applying to do social work this year having spent the last 18 years in teaching and am just keeping everything crossed now that I get a place! Good luck :smile:

Hi Rashnag, so glad to hear from someone else who's applied! Don't know about you, but I am so, so nervous. I'm checking emails and MyEd literally 300 times a day, while lurching between panic and despair hahaha :headfire:
Fingers crossed we hear soon-good luck!
What are you currently studying/have studied: I've been studying with the Open University for 7 years doing Science and business courses.

Which universities are you applying to: Durham

Which course(s) do you want to do: Pharmacy with a foundation year

Any other info you feel like sharing: I suffer from M.E. so I haven't been able to attend full time uni until now. I didn't do enough Chemistry at the OU so I'm applying for a foundation year. I'm 25 now, 26 when I start, if I get in. All my eggs are in one basket so I'm so nervous.
Original post by hunaja
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to Science. Completed last year with 45 distinctions.
Which universities are you applying to: Lincoln, Durham, Hertfordshire and Manchester.
Which course(s) do you want to do: Pharmacy MPharm
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 25. Will be 26 when I start and 31 when I quality! Withdrew from the offer I held for this year to pursue pharmacy. So hopefully I made the right decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want do do Pharmacy at Durham to and I'm the same age. Good Luck.
Original post by Snufkin
Aw well I hope it works out for you. It is a very unfair rule but as long as you're prepared, I'm sure you will be able to work around it.

I'm in the same boat I've been studying with the OU for 7 years but some years ive only done 20 credits, and I've not done it through student finance, when I called them up I got different information both times. Apparently they gave me a part time student grant for five years. So if it goes on that I will only get one year of funding (course is 5 years plus 1 year), but there is usually a rule about part time taking twice as long to complete so I'm hoping that will add another two or three years of finance.
Original post by jammymadden
I'm in the same boat I've been studying with the OU for 7 years but some years ive only done 20 credits, and I've not done it through student finance, when I called them up I got different information both times. Apparently they gave me a part time student grant for five years. So if it goes on that I will only get one year of funding (course is 5 years plus 1 year), but there is usually a rule about part time taking twice as long to complete so I'm hoping that will add another two or three years of finance.

Bit confused, do you want to start a new degree? What subject?
Hi everyone :smile:

Hope all of your applications are going well and best of luck with any ongoing courses in prep for uni!
Out of curiosity.... I was just wondering what are mature students who are having to re-locate are doing about accommodation? I'll be 24 starting uni (no children/partner) and I know I'm towards the beginning of the "mature" student cut off haha but I've already done the whole uni halls and student house parties every 5 minutes experience so definitely don't want to do it again. Would preferably like to live either in a house/flat share with a small number of like-minded mature students or for some locations (Bristol) I've seen that they provide small 1 bed studio flats. Are universities usually quite helpful with this sort of thing and how is everyone else going about it?

Thanks!
xxxxx
Original post by Snufkin
Bit confused, do you want to start a new degree? What subject?

Yeah I've been studying Natural Sciences and I want to do Pharmacy but the previous study is still going to count against me as even though its got a masters included they count it as undergraduate for funding.
Yeah I've been studying Natural Sciences and I want to do Pharmacy but the previous study is still going to count against me as even though its got a masters included they count it as undergraduate for funding.

The government have said they are going to relax the rules on previous study if you want to do a STEM degree, so from next year you should get a student loan.
Original post by Snufkin
The government have said they are going to relax the rules on previous study if you want to do a STEM degree, so from next year you should get a student loan.

I don't really know what to believe about funding at the moment. Either way I won't be handing in my notice at work until I have a solid confirmation from SFE that I'll get a loan for my course! (if I get an offer)
Original post by Snufkin

Oh I really hope so, if I don't get funding I've been looking at the 24+ advanced learning loan, which will fund you if you've studied previously but only the course fee not living costs.
Original post by Snufkin
Hi mature students, are you applying to university this year? Post and tell us where! :awesome:

What are you currently studying/have studied: GCSE's / A levels (irrelevant for the course I'm applying to)
Which universities are you applying to: Durham (Queen's Campus)
Which course(s) do you want to do: Pharmacy with foundation
Any other info you feel like sharing: Worked in a pharmacy for 8 years and I'm 31 next month
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh I really hope so, if I don't get funding I've been looking at the 24+ advanced learning loan, which will fund you if you've studied previously but only the course fee not living costs.

Unfortunately the 24+ loan can only be used for level 3 qualifications (A levels, BTECs or Access courses).
Original post by Snufkin
Unfortunately the 24+ loan can only be used for level 3 qualifications (A levels, BTECs or Access courses).

Oh, It says on the page it covers level 4 as well, that's rubbish.
[QUOTE="Solo1985;62109225"]
Original post by Snufkin

What are you currently studying/have studied: GCSE's / A levels (irrelevant for the course I'm applying to)
Which universities are you applying to: Durham (Queen's Campus)
Which course(s) do you want to do: Pharmacy with foundation
Any other info you feel like sharing: Worked in a pharmacy for 8 years and I'm 31 next month

I'm so happy to find someone applying for the same course as me. Have you heard anything? When did you apply? Do you know if we have to interview? Sorry a lot of questions I know, just excited.
Oh, It says on the page it covers level 4 as well, that's rubbish.

Yeah it should really say "level 3 and some level 4" because 24+ loans don't cover degrees or otherforms of Higher Education (CertHE, DipHE etc) where separate student support arrangements exist (i.e. student loans).
Original post by Snufkin
Yeah it should really say "level 3 and some level 4" because 24+ loans don't cover degrees or otherforms of Higher Education (CertHE, DipHE etc) where separate student support arrangements exist (i.e. student loans).

Thanks for letting me know.
Reply 119
[QUOTE="Neenbean76;62087253"]
Original post by rashnag

Hi Rashnag, so glad to hear from someone else who's applied! Don't know about you, but I am so, so nervous. I'm checking emails and MyEd literally 300 times a day, while lurching between panic and despair hahaha :headfire:
Fingers crossed we hear soon-good luck!

I've just been invited to an interview at Brighton next week. Bricking it now lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending