The Student Room Group

Think I made a really stupid financial decision

Just started second year at university. All last year I didn't exercise so I decided this year I would join the gym. I've just joined xerercise for less for £9.99 a month, but I don't know if I've made a stupid financial decision as I'm doing primary education which is a very full on course so I don't know if I'll be able to go very often. The contract says minumumncontract 12 months in direct debit. I'm not sure if I've made a sensible decision as I'll only have £100 a week after my accommodation is taken out.
After the 12 months how would I go abouts cancelling if I don't take to the gym? Do I need to contact my bank? I'm really scared that it's going to be very expensive!
Original post by Hannahmay01
Just started second year at university. All last year I didn't exercise so I decided this year I would join the gym. I've just joined xerercise for less for £9.99 a month, but I don't know if I've made a stupid financial decision as I'm doing primary education which is a very full on course so I don't know if I'll be able to go very often. The contract says minumumncontract 12 months in direct debit. I'm not sure if I've made a sensible decision as I'll only have £100 a week after my accommodation is taken out.
After the 12 months how would I go abouts cancelling if I don't take to the gym? Do I need to contact my bank? I'm really scared that it's going to be very expensive!

£100 per week is plenty to live on, the gym is costing you just £2.50 per week. If you don't like it after 12 months go to the gym and ask them to cancel your contract.
It's tough on a primary ed course. In my 2nd year, before placement, I managed to go 3 times a week. Then I was sent to a placement school near home so had to cancel. My friends who stayed in in my uni town for placement also struggled to keep up the attendance, but managed once a week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have the weekends and any off-term to go so it'll be worth it :smile:
Original post by lascelles
It's tough on a primary ed course. In my 2nd year, before placement, I managed to go 3 times a week. Then I was sent to a placement school near home so had to cancel. My friends who stayed in in my uni town for placement also struggled to keep up the attendance, but managed once a week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks even if I just go for an hour and a half every Sunday morning that widens out at about £2.50 a visit which isn't that bad!
Reply 5
Original post by Hannahmay01

How just have you joined it? The contract should have a cooling off period (usually 2 weeks or a month) in which you can cancel penalty free.

Otherwise, it should have a reasonable penalty for cancelling. Again; check the contract.
check the contract, cancel if you can. Then check to see what university societies you can join more cheaply to get exercise (running club?) or do some weightlifting. Free weights need only cost a few pounds but you could use textbooks or bottles filled with water.
Original post by shawn_o1
You have the weekends and any off-term to go so it'll be worth it :smile:

Weekends? If op's course is as "full on" as my 2nd year course is right now then weekends don't exist for her. Also, off-term? I think you mean extensive revision periods...

Bring serious though op £120 for a years gym membership if cheap, the best I've found in my area is £30 a month. A course may be full on but you shouldn't put your health at risk. Taking an hour a few times a week to go to the gym will probably make you more efficient when working anyway rather than extended working. Even if you averaged going once per week that's £2.50 a session. Hardly bad is it?
I'd say those prices are pretty reasonable. If you even get in a day or two over the course of the week, I'd say you're getting a pretty good deal.

So strange to hear about fixed contracts at gyms. All the gyms around me are now adopting the no commitment model in which you can end and resume a payable monthly fee as you please. Most of them are also open 24 hours, which gives you great control over how you exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending