The Student Room Group

Why Medicine ???? (poll)

Yo all...just wanted to do a survey on the medical students
but non-medical students are also welcomed to vote..

this is the question
What was the main reason that you all come up with the idea to do medicine...
my bet is most of us do it cause we want the name (DR) or its for the money

mine is because i want to help...i dont mind getting a low pay...or lose the DR title...as long as i am qualified to help...

what is your reasoning...and

PLSSSSS BE HONEST !!! DO NOT LIE....AS THIS IS A PRIVATE POLL AND YOUR REAL NAMES WOULD NOT BE ENCLOSED

allright..start voting all !!

Scroll to see replies

i'd just like to add a couple of points - not for any particular reason but it may spark interest to some of you

namely that, being a doctor is, in most peoples cases, a really stressful job... my mum is a part time doc, and she'd never go into full time due to the long hours of work and pressure of getting things done ( which leads to copious amounts of stress )

people that want to be doctors HAVE GOT TO WANT TO DO IT - i see people on here saying things like " ah i dunno whether to do vet, med, dentistry, " i mean wtf? are you just going into the careeer just cuz its well respected and think you'll get paid well?

it is all good to have ambitions and i'm not knocking that whatsoever, but it won't be so good when you are struggling with the course or dislike it for some reason or another

i'm done :smile:
DazYa911

" ah i dunno whether to do vet, med, dentistry, " i mean wtf? are you just going into the careeer just cuz its well respected and think you'll get paid well?

A VERY valid point. Some people really do just choose Medicine coz it "sounds" good. I really wanna seem some stuck up rich-kid snob reacting, when a patient throws up on his/her clothes!
Reply 3
DazYa911
i'd just like to add a couple of points - not for any particular reason but it may spark interest to some of you

namely that, being a doctor is, in most peoples cases, a really stressful job... my mum is a part time doc, and she'd never go into full time due to the long hours of work and pressure of getting things done ( which leads to copious amounts of stress )

people that want to be doctors HAVE GOT TO WANT TO DO IT - i see people on here saying things like " ah i dunno whether to do vet, med, dentistry, " i mean wtf? are you just going into the careeer just cuz its well respected and think you'll get paid well?

it is all good to have ambitions and i'm not knocking that whatsoever, but it won't be so good when you are struggling with the course or dislike it for some reason or another

i'm done :smile:

oh man !! you just why did you have to say it in public...
im trying to see what are the honest opinions of the people trying to take medicines....after saying that i think they`re gonna think twice about voting some other option
But anyways,you have a very good point and i agree every word you say,DO NOT TAKE MEDICINE if you arent gonna be dedicated to people...and at the same time...by being dedicated to people...you have to sacrafice your own pleasures for them...thats being a doctor !!

NOW PLS VOTE HONESTLY !!! DO NOT LIE !!
im just trying to get a good survey here..
as i once said YOUR NAMES WOULD NOT BE ENCLOSED HERE....pls feel free to vote..no need to be shy
I don't think the money is a major factor for many people, though doctors are payed well most of those who choose to go into medicine have the intelligence and drive to go into a very high-earning job, so it is other factors that make people want to become a doctor.
Reply 5
It;s not a particularly comprehensive poll though is it?

I didn't have one particular reason why I entered medicine, but a few of them (in no particular order) are...

- Interest in science - fascinated by physiology (and I'm NOT just saying that). Loved biology (except plants) at school (same can't be said for chemistry, even though it was an incredibly good laugh).
- Losing my twin sister. Genetic condition, and brain tumour, so pretty much 'grew up' in a hospital environment and so was inspired.
- Want contact with people
- opportunities to travel/work abroad
- Job security (though in the litigation world who knows)
- Many different areas to choose from
- Never going to 'know everything' - I'm one of those people who likes to 'absorb info'... constantly reading
erm i'm sure there are more, but that's enough for now
Reply 6
Baron Huntroyde
I don't think the money is a major factor for many people, though doctors are payed well most of those who choose to go into medicine have the intelligence and drive to go into a very high-earning job, so it is other factors that make people want to become a doctor.

i would have to disagree on that..
cause i really know a number of people...sigh what the heck...actualy 60% of the people i asked said they do it for money...
well,what can you expect after 5 years of studying and paying so much for the entire course...thats what they told me...

- Interest in science - fascinated by physiology (and I'm NOT just saying that). Loved biology (except plants) at school (same can't be said for chemistry, even though it was an incredibly good laugh).
- Losing my twin sister. Genetic condition, and brain tumour, so pretty much 'grew up' in a hospital environment and so was inspired.
- Want contact with people
- opportunities to travel/work abroad
- Job security (though in the litigation world who knows)
- Many different areas to choose from
- Never going to 'know everything' - I'm one of those people who likes to 'absorb info'... constantly reading
erm i'm sure there are more, but that's enough for now

ahhh....i think you`re gonna do just fine as a doc one day,since you actually DO have to interest at sci subjects and has a keen interest to help others and at the same time learn what you do..

and about job security and the many areas to choose form
i dont think it applies for every country in the world
and also the job areas are not very broad as well..except for jobs which are related to medicine...like cardiology,neurology etc. but you cant do stuff like biotech,engineering and others anymore...so i wouldnt say that it is "broad" compared to other jobs
Reply 7
for me, there was no one over-riding reason..basically a process of elimination - there was nothing else that i wanted to do, so..
Reply 8
I meant in terms of many different areas within medicine to choose from - The variation in specialties is huge, so the chances are there is something that will suit me!

However, to a certain extent, I think if someone changes their mind about medicine, a medical degree would actually open a lot of doors (probably to much better paid jobs actually). Passing a medical degree is tough and demonstrates a lot of skills.
joyabbott
It;s not a particularly comprehensive poll though is it?

I didn't have one particular reason why I entered medicine, but a few of them (in no particular order) are...

- Interest in science -> fair enough reason

- Losing my twin sister. Genetic condition, and brain tumour, so pretty much 'grew up' in a hospital environment and so was inspired -> so what? some people are born in telephone boxes, does that make them wanna be a telephone operator? awful excuse exploiting your twins death

- Want contact with people -> Every job has contact with people

- opportunities to travel/work abroad -> Most jobs can do this, and if anything, being a doctor u'll probably travel abroad less because there's a hospital waiting for u to be in

- Job security (though in the litigation world who knows) -> fair enough reason

- Many different areas to choose from -> fair enough reason

- Never going to 'know everything' - I'm one of those people who likes to 'absorb info'... constantly reading -> I'm not really sure what you're implying here - ummm yes, we all like to learn new things, perhaps we could just do some of our own "reading" like anyone else could in any other jobs.

Pretty much most of yer reasons either suck or are just lame excuses.
Elles
for me, there was no one over-riding reason..basically a process of elimination - there was nothing else that i wanted to do, so..

Very good, truthful explanation. The thing is though, u would've had to lie in the Interview and not use that reason. :wink:
Reply 11
for the amount of hours /shifts pre-regs do i don't think they're brilliantly paid. if money is the main factor, you won't be a good doctor, not even a doctor
Reply 12
MalaysianDude
i would have to disagree on that..
cause i really know a number of people...sigh what the heck...actualy 60% of the people i asked said they do it for money...
well,what can you expect after 5 years of studying and paying so much for the entire course...thats what they told me...

We don't have to pay that much for it - no more than we would for any other course. Yes, the fact that you are basically guaranteed employment afterwards, and with a decent salary, is nice but it's not a huge factor in things. It's good to have security if you're going to give your life to something like that, but I don't know anybody who's just in it for the money, when they could do a normal degree and go and work in the city and earn much much more.

ResidentEvil
- Losing my twin sister. Genetic condition, and brain tumour, so pretty much 'grew up' in a hospital environment and so was inspired -> so what? some people are born in telephone boxes, does that make them wanna be a telephone operator? awful excuse exploiting your twins death

Pretty much most of yer reasons either suck or are just lame excuses.

That's disgusting! Joy is a 3rd year, so knows a lot more about the realities of medicine and the reasons for staying in it than you do currently, and how can you accuse her of exploiting her sister's death? It's perfectly valid - that much exposure to a medical environment gives you an experience of what it's like and if you're interested it will attract you to Medicine. I was in hospital when I was younger and was fascinated by everything that was going on; that was one of my reasons. It's better for people to have some personal reason to go on top of the usual rather wishy-washy "I want to help people."
god, it just hurts me to see that 5 people from my class are planning on applying to med. school, and they're only doing it cause their parents want them to! :frown: Their parents are maaaaking them! I don't think they can turn out to be good doctors, if they're being forced into it! :eek:
Also, i don't wanna be rude, but is it a...sort of Asian thing, that you have to become a doctor? At least I thought, ok fair enough, they're just all interested in medicine...but aaalll of the asian people i know that are going to do med are only doing it cause of their family tradition/what their parents expect of them!!! :eek: (well, that's just the people i know...but still!!! I think it's AWFUL...!!!) :frown:
Reply 14
ResidentEvil
The thing is though, u would've had to lie in the Interview and not use that reason. :wink:

well, no not really. & at ICL at least they specifically looked at my UCAS form & gathered from that i could probably go onto "excel" (interviewers words not mine.. :redface: ) in various fields...

but obviously there are reasons why i favoured medicine over history for example...

& a number of them are similar to Joy's, espectially in terms of hospital exposure at a young age, so i'm sorry, i think what you said about her "exploiting" & using her twin's death as an "excuse" is just horrendous.
Reply 15
I can't think of an actual reason, its just i can't imagi myself doing anything else. Its a gut feeling that i've had all my life.
Reply 16
Thanks for the support Helenia and Elles.

In terms of "exploiting my sisters death" I'm not even going to bother explaining. You're obvioulsy a heartless soul, and wouldn't understand, so there's no point.

In terms of travelling, there are ample opportunities with both charity work, research, and jobs. I'd quite like to work in NZ/Aus for a year or so - anything wrong with that???

I was trying to say medicine 'evolves' more than perhaps most other fields. The way we manage patients with particular conditions will be completely different in just a few years time. I like the idea of being involved in such a field. New findings, new break throughs, etc etc

Medicine revolves around people. I know there are obviously other careers which are people orientated, but to me, people are at the heart of medicine - in terms of both patients, and working in multidisciplinary teams.

I don't know whether you're bitter, perhaps having been rejected from medschool or something, however, my 'reasons' for studying med were sufficient to gain me places from all the med schools I applied to, so I must have done something right.

End of rant.
Reply 17
why not choose other professions to do if all u want is $? like lawyer, architect, etc, where it is much more enjoyable.
Reply 18
MalaysianDude
Yo all...just wanted to do a survey on the medical students
but non-medical students are also welcomed to vote..

this is the question
What was the main reason that you all come up with the idea to do medicine...
my bet is most of us do it cause we want the name (DR) or its for the money

mine is because i want to help...i dont mind getting a low pay...or lose the DR title...as long as i am qualified to help...

what is your reasoning...and

PLSSSSS BE HONEST !!! DO NOT LIE....AS THIS IS A PRIVATE POLL AND YOUR REAL NAMES WOULD NOT BE ENCLOSED

allright..start voting all !!

I think it all really depends on your experiences in life and what you have come across especially, if you have been exposed to seriously ill people in terrible states that still smile and don't complain, it's really touching and the only thing you really want to do is comfort them and make them feel better..make them smile even more...they are really super people and I really can't control my emotions after experience si've had when i come across them..Don't know how anyone would really want to become a Dr for the status or pay...it's absolutely sick and taking advantage of these people...
Helenia
We don't have to pay that much for it - no more than we would for any other course. Yes, the fact that you are basically guaranteed employment afterwards, and with a decent salary, is nice but it's not a huge factor in things. It's good to have security if you're going to give your life to something like that, but I don't know anybody who's just in it for the money, when they could do a normal degree and go and work in the city and earn much much more.

You dont have to pay much for it??
i dont know about your financial status,but i do know one thing...
it isnt cheap for me..cause even im not that rich and i must say that i even have to get a complete loan in order to get my butt into medicine...and im not even doing it in the UK...i just cant imagine how much it`ll cost if i did it in the UK..

Job opportunities are fine enough but what you get when doing your job isnt fine at all ! ive known lots of doctors...that includes one from the UK which says that their pay sucks for the amount of dedication they put into their jobs (sleep deprivation,lack of time for their families etc.)
Those which do actually get rich are the tip of the iceberg..So out of the entire chances you have...expect a life involved in medicine as an entire military school...you`re gonna be treated like maggots by patients,no emotional feelings towards what you do etc. ...and thats something you`ll have to stand by when doing medicine...its not as glamorous as what you see in films like ER and chicago hope...Do it and prepare to not regret what you`ve choosen,cause when you look back...theres no turning back

In terms of travelling, there are ample opportunities with both charity work, research, and jobs. I'd quite like to work in NZ/Aus for a year or so - anything wrong with that???

I don't know whether you're bitter, perhaps having been rejected from medschool or something, however, my 'reasons' for studying med were sufficient to gain me places from all the med schools I applied to, so I must have done something right.

About travelling and placing charity work onto others,you should realise that only a handful only get selected by hospitals or any groups involved to be sent there....you dont just stand up and say " hey, i want to go there"..cause there are lots factors that you should actually consider before doing that.
Look at some doctors,like private practitionists...they just lay their ass in a clinic for the rest of their lives and regret even taking medicine...thats the "boring" part of medicine...not being able to travel.You re basically stuck there despite being a clinic or a hospital...unless you re a paramedic or you`re actually lucky enough to get assigned for field work and that also required additional training...and also getting stuck in taht area for another 5 years or so...how could you actually say that its adventurous.

and about the feller that said that rather bitter remark about your twin sister,just ignore the feller...cause when a family member or friend which is actually in trouble...but being there to watch him/her die is obviously really painful to some...and we shouldnt just sit there and do nothing...why not become doctors??heheehhe :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending