The Student Room Group

Part time jobs/ Christmas temp jobs

Does anyone know any high street shops that would take a 17 year old for part time work? I know it's gonna be hard as I don't have many links to people but it's worth a try I guess

Also do you know any companies that offer jobs as Christmas temps?
Waterstones! I work there and my job started as a Christmas temp job.
Reply 2
Original post by WeaselMcCloud

Is it easy to get into? What's the pay? What do you have to do?
Pay isn't bad for retail for under 18s, I'm on like £7.00 p/h and 7.5 hrs a week with occasional overtime. Generally you just go into a store with a CV and a covering letter saying why you want to work there specifically and proof read it thoroughly because you get considered less seriously if there are any typos or anything and they'll keep it on file or if there's a job vacancy review it and get back to you. I think it is quite competitive though, obviously a lot of people want to work with books because they're interesting. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Anon593
Does anyone know any high street shops that would take a 17 year old for part time work? I know it's gonna be hard as I don't have many links to people but it's worth a try I guess

U
Yup, you can apply for boots, forever 21 and H&M online. I did so with boots and my friend did for the other two.
We also went into debenhams, new look and bhs and handed in CVs. My friend got an interview four days later.

Another friend handed her cv into H&M and got an interview the very next day. A lot of high street stores are recruiting young 17 year old.

Just go to the check outs at high street jobs, ask if they're recruiting and hand in your cv.
Sorry to bandwagon on this thread, but are you expected to have experience for temp work? Been considering getting a temp job as some of the shops in town are advertising but I don't actually have any experience :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by fs1
U
Yup, you can apply for boots, forever 21 and H&M online. I did so with boots and my friend did for the other two.
We also went into debenhams, new look and bhs and handed in CVs. My friend got an interview four days later.

Another friend handed her cv into H&M and got an interview the very next day. A lot of high street stores are recruiting young 17 year old.

Just go to the check outs at high street jobs, ask if they're recruiting and hand in your cv.

Did you go into the store or apply online? Boots usually say to apply online
Im starting my temp christmas job next week! It's with magentastar and its an elf job! If you enjoy working with children and just being cheery aswell as acting, its a great job!
Reply 8
Original post by ChuckHades
Sorry to bandwagon on this thread, but are you expected to have experience for temp work? Been considering getting a temp job as some of the shops in town are advertising but I don't actually have any experience :s-smilie:

My friend got a job with no experience at all whereas I got 4 months experience and it's really hard for me to get a job, I'm sure you'll find one, just keep looking

Snap me too! I worked there last year and they want me back this year :biggrin: Brace yourself for a lot of people approaching you asking you to help them with books whose titles and/or authors they don't even know :facepalm:

OP, if you're considering applying to Waterstones, make sure you have relevant things on your CV. In other words, gush about books and literature as much as you can :biggrin:
Original post by pizzad0gs
Snap me too! I worked there last year and they want me back this year :biggrin: Brace yourself for a lot of people approaching you asking you to help them with books whose titles and/or authors they don't even know :facepalm:

OP, if you're considering applying to Waterstones, make sure you have relevant things on your CV. In other words, gush about books and literature as much as you can :biggrin:

XD Please tell me you too have experienced 'I'm looking for a book, I don't know the title or the author but it's orange. What do you mean you don't know?'
Reply 11
XD Please tell me you too have experienced 'I'm looking for a book, I don't know the title or the author but it's orange. What do you mean you don't know?'

What in the world :biggrin: sounds fun

YESSS. Also last year I had an elderly lady come up to me and say "Excuse me, I'm looking for a book that I found in another branch... It... It... Had a picture of the most... exquisite chicken on the cover, and it was a chicken that was... Victorious over other chickens, and there was a... There was another book with victorious geese. Can you help me find it?"
Needless to say, I couldn't find it
Reply 13
Original post by Anon593
Did you go into the store or apply online? Boots usually say to apply online

for boots you have to do it online as they make you do an online assessment before the interview process.
Reply 14
Original post by fs1
for boots you have to do it online as they make you do an online assessment before the interview process.

I've never gotten past the assessment part
Reply 15
Original post by Anon593

My nephew's 17 and works at Waitrose. His branch are absolutely desperate for part-time staff from now until Christmas - they're really short-staffed. Worth checking out your local branch if you have one.
Reply 16
Original post by pizzad0gs
YESSS. Also last year I had an elderly lady come up to me and say "Excuse me, I'm looking for a book that I found in another branch... It... It... Had a picture of the most... exquisite chicken on the cover, and it was a chicken that was... Victorious over other chickens, and there was a... There was another book with victorious geese. Can you help me find it?"
Needless to say, I couldn't find it

would you get told off by manager if you dont know what book a customer is looking for?
Reply 17
Pay isn't bad for retail for under 18s, I'm on like £7.00 p/h and 7.5 hrs a week with occasional overtime. Generally you just go into a store with a CV and a covering letter saying why you want to work there specifically and proof read it thoroughly because you get considered less seriously if there are any typos or anything and they'll keep it on file or if there's a job vacancy review it and get back to you. I think it is quite competitive though, obviously a lot of people want to work with books because they're interesting. Good luck!

at my branch you have to fill in a form of questions (for part-time) like
- your approach to good customer service
- example of when you demonstrated your commercial acumen
- how you use your initiative to reach your goal
- what makes you a good bookseller
- anything else to support your application

its not just submitting a cv and a cover letter, which puts me off cause im a lazy mtherfcker lol x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending