The Student Room Group

Junior doctors release campaign video

[video="youtube;U5-FqHwsXUA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5-FqHwsXUA[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Workers wanting to be treated well?
How dare they?!
They're stopping 'progress' or something. How anti aspirational. Because nothing says aspirational like cutting junior doctors pay.
This is what Tories like to do. They take over a public service, stream line it by cutting pay levels by 25% and then increase working hours up to levels which are unsustainable. They stretch everyone to overload state and then when a public service comes crashing down they are like oh well it should of been privatized anyway.

A private NHS will cost even more. The best example is in the United States.

The Tories see the NHS as a cash cow which they want to profit off.

And in the process this is going to make higher earners in the NHS much worse off who don't work in the NHS for a high wage but work in the NHS because they believe in the NHS.

Majority of Doctors have a global opportunity to move any where in the world to work.

The NHS is like a big chocolate Easter Egg with lots of goodies inside. The Tories want to crack it open and take what they can mean while the cost of healthcare for the poorest people will sky rocket.

................... BUT THAT IS OK! PLENTY OF PROFIT FOR TORIES AND THEIR MATES
They'll very quickly realise how little public support they get
Original post by MatureStudent36
They'll very quickly realise how little public support they get

Anecdotally, I've received nothing but support from the public and patients who have engaged me about the possible strike action. And those doctors who have taken to the streets in the 'meet the doctors' campaign have said the same.

Sorry to burst your angry little bubble.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Etomidate
Anecdotally, I've received nothing but support from the public and patients who have engaged me about the possible strike action. And those doctors who have taken to the streets in the 'meet the doctors' campaign have said the same.

It's human nature not to offend. The fire brigade thought they had public support when they went on strike a few years ago...it turned out they didn't. It's not the 1970s. Strike action isn't popular.

Get back to me and let me know how the patients who were delayed treatment feel if you do go on strike.
Original post by Etomidate

We all need to unite and NHS users will support you to the very end.

Also have you considered creating a campaign to let other protest on your behalf? The disability community have thousands of people who can't go on the streets so instead they sponsor other people to protest and in a lot of ways use technology to show people there are disabled people online on computers who are telling the protesters what to say on their behalf.

I remember this one.

First they came for the Disabled, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not DisabledThen they came for the Unemployed, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not UnemployedThen they came for the Foreigners, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Foreigner.Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Just as you young doctors empower the disabled/sick, the workers, unemployed, students and pensioners they in turn will and can empower you!

Mature Student doesn't want us to unite. He knows to well that if a Army of Doctors can form a strong enough social media presence there will be regular people willing to go out and protest on your behalf.

...... And the 10-20 mins that you have spare you can get on your webcam/microphone/mobile-phone and call someone at the protest who in turn can link your voice to a mega phone. Then you become empowered by the very people you look after by being able to speak at a protest that you are hundreds of miles away from.

The progress of technology :biggrin:

You haven't abandoned us so we will never abandon you!

LONG LIVE THE NHS!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by illegaltobepoor
We all need to unite and NHS users will support you to the very end.

Also have you considered creating a campaign to let other protest on your behalf? The disability community have thousands of people who can't go on the streets so instead they sponsor other people to protest and in a lot of ways use technology to show people there are disabled people online on computers who are telling the protesters what to say on their behalf.

I remember this one.

First they came for the Disabled, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not DisabledThen they came for the Unemployed, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not UnemployedThen they came for the Foreigners, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Foreigner.Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Just as you young doctors empower the disabled/sick, the workers, unemployed, students and pensioners they in turn will and can empower you!

Mature Student doesn't want us to unite. He knows to well that if a Army of Doctors can form a strong enough social media presence there will be regular people willing to go out and protest on your behalf.

...... And the 10-20 mins that you have spare you can get on your webcam/microphone/mobile-phone and call someone at the protest who in turn can link your voice to a mega phone. Then you become empowered by the very people you look after by being able to speak at a protest that you are hundreds of miles away from.

The progress of technology :biggrin:

You haven't abandoned us so we will never abandon you!

LONG LIVE THE NHS!

It's obviously missed you by, but the plan of the government is to maintain the NHS.
I don't understand why the Tories are so keen on picking a fight with junior doctors. These are skilled, hard working people and they know it.give them crap working conditions and they will increasingly migrate. I seems ludicrous to spend how ever many hundreds of thousands of pounds training a doctor only to push them abroad. Then you've got to replace them with a potentially less competent doctor from abroad.
Original post by Quantex
I don't understand why the Tories are so keen on picking a fight with junior doctors. These are skilled, hard working people and they know it.give them crap working conditions and they will increasingly migrate. I seems ludicrous to spend how ever many hundreds of thousands of pounds training a doctor only to push them abroad. Then you've got to replace them with a potentially less competent doctor from abroad.

The cynic in me would say they don;t care if it has bad consequences. They can just use it as an excuse to privatize the NHS even further.

Underfund then "privatize to the rescue" is how you sell of popular public services.
To make matter worse if the government can beat junior doctors they can beat any of the unions.
Original post by garfeeled
To make matter worse if the government can beat junior doctors they can beat any of the unions.

Can they? I would have thought it is always harder for people like doctors or firemen to go on strike since it puts people's lives at risk. As apposed to say some steel workers striking.
It's obviously missed you by, but the plan of the government is to maintain the NHS.

They aren't doing a good job are they. Don't tell me tell Etomidate who has genuine patients to interact with.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
They aren't doing a good job are they. Don't tell me tell Etomidate who has genuine patients to interact with.

Well, NHS England seems to be leaving NHS Scotland lagging well behind even though the SNP made a big deal about being the party that could protect the NHS.

We have millions of people struggling to see Doctirs during the week who may have difficulty due to work commitments being allowed access to medical help over the weekend.
Well, NHS England seems to be leaving NHS Scotland lagging well behind even though the SNP made a big deal about being the party that could protect the NHS.

We have millions of people struggling to see Doctirs during the week who may have difficulty due to work commitments being allowed access to medical help over the weekend.

Maturestudent do I claim to be a Doctor? Your talking to the wrong person mate.
So the junior doctors have voted to strike

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34775980

Can someone explain to me how the new proposed contract compromises patient safety? I've heard it a lot but not actually read any reasons for it.
Original post by Zerforax
So the junior doctors have voted to strike

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34775980

Can someone explain to me how the new proposed contract compromises patient safety? I've heard it a lot but not actually read any reasons for it.

I think the main reasons are based around doctors being overworked which compromises patient safety.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I think the main reasons are based around doctors being overworked which compromises patient safety.

Overworked under the terms of the new proposed contract? Or just overworked in general currently/in the future?

I obviously don't know enough detail but as I'd understood, the overall hours junior doctors are allowed to work in 7 days would be reduced to 72 hours from the current 91 hours?

Or is the logic that because their salaries are being cut they will need to work longer hours to get the same current high pay and therefore will be overworked?
The cynic in me would say they don;t care if it has bad consequences. They can just use it as an excuse to privatize the NHS even further.

Underfund then "privatize to the rescue" is how you sell of popular public services.

Yet NHS England has seen substantial funding increases whilst NHS Scotland under the SNP hasn't.

Why do you think making the NHS more accessible at weekends is underfunding?

Yet they're willing to put patients lives at risk by going on strike. Oh the irony.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending