The Student Room Group

I can't be the only one....

Earlier in the month I went to a sixth form college open day, and it seemed amazing. Naturally I applied, and went to my interview yesterday. I'm going to summarise what went down.

Interview guy: welcome, how are you doing?
Me: Good, and you?
IG: Yes, yes.

dull form filling stuff, address, details

IG: So, you come from this school?
Me: You've heard of it?
IG: I live in the area and, let's be honest here, it's not a very good school is it?
Me: I guess,..i mean-
IG: Let's take a look at your courses.:sigh: *looks down on paper* I see....
Me: .....?
IG: hmmmm....ok. *nods to self* ok ok and, let's be honest here, your subjects are very easy, you know?
Me: ....
IG: and you want go to university yes?
Me: ........
IG: they have those classes though i guess...., yeah, so....*sighs*., it's just you have to think very carefully about these things, you want a good job, yes?
Me: (oh. okay then :shot: ) *wonky smile* yeah, yes, right.

balloon deflates along with my dignity

I left that place feeling like an idiot. Lots of people have been silenty or vocally criticising my career choice and ambitions, and it's not great when you tell people your 4 A Level options like this.

Person: SO. what A Levels are you gonna do hun?
Me: ...
Person: maths? biology, oooh are you gonna do chemistry too? That combination works really well,
Me:...english literature
Person: ...ah....ok.
Me: psychology, history
Person: hmm...i mean,
Me: adflmtudees
Person: i didn't catch that, what did you say?
Me: ...and Film Studies.
Person: oh woww, that's...cool i guess.......so, no sciences?

I can't be the only one. I wrote this whole thing and I just want some advice from current film studies students, or people like me who want to do the subject. I feel like the minority and it really sucks. I can't tell that many people I want to do Film too and if I do, I usually feel like crap afterwards.
Only a few of my closest friends fully support me, and my mum. But even the interview guy seemed like it was distasteful to him, even though he was a nice enough guy- and I'm not going to hate on the college because of him even though I'm now a bit doubtful

So, any film studies people or people who have done the subject (who actually have experienced it, not 'Oh Mary-Jo told me that Gordon said that his mate told him that his cousin says people who do film are right idiots who just watch movies and write reviews and mess around') can you tell me what you think of film, and what it's like for you?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh, dear... I have an interview in February, and this has made me nervous! Is your school a partner school with the college? My school is partnered with the college I'm applying to, and all of the kids who've had interviews seemed okay with them so far. (Apparently, it went along the lines of, "So these are the courses you'd like to take... so I hear you enjoy football/film/music... Have you looked around? Would you like to go to university?" like a read-through of their personal, statement).

I'm really sorry it went like this for you :frown: Must be a very snobby science-circulated sixth form. I'm hoping to take English, too (and media, which is similar to film in a little way).

But even though I've not had an interview yet myself and I don't know about the place, since you seem to really enjoy it and this is the college you want to go to and these are courses you want to do, screw that guy! Forget about him! There's nothing wrong with what you want to do at all :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by saladays
Oh, dear... I have an interview in February, and this has made me nervous! Is your school a partner school with the college? My school is partnered with the college I'm applying to, and all of the kids who've had interviews seemed okay with them so far. (Apparently, it went along the lines of, "So these are the courses you'd like to take... so I hear you enjoy football/film/music... Have you looked around? Would you like to go to university?" like a read-through of their personal, statement).

I'm really sorry it went like this for you :frown: Must be a very snobby science-circulated sixth form. I'm hoping to take English, too (and media, which is similar to film in a little way).

But even though I've not had an interview yet myself and I don't know about the place, since you seem to really enjoy it and this is the college you want to go to and these are courses you want to do, screw that guy! Forget about him! There's nothing wrong with what you want to do at all :smile:

Thank you so much for that, I felt like I'd picked the wrong courses when I came out of that interview. No it's not a partner school, and I don't think the sixth form is science-circulated- there were several interview people and mine just so happened to be a biology teacher. (a bit biased so....)

Anyway, the college is actually one of 3 places I've applied to and is second to this really good grammar school sixth form I saw. (and not because it's grammar). I'm sure you don't need to worry about interviews, my very first interview just turned out that way for me, bad luck i guess! The guy didn't ask me about my interests like how you described, only once when he was filling out the form and he wasn't interested in the slightest, he was just like 'oh, okay. next question.'

Oh and it's cool that you're doing media studies, :smile: that's actually my option instead of film at the third school I applied to because the course content there is equivalent- just different names i guess.
Reply 3
you're definitely right, why is it some people say 'do what you want.' but then criticise you for not doing what they would do? I can't get my head around it tbh. btw history and geography are really good subjects, my friend is a geography-person and she gushes about it so I would know. not going down the math/science route is not a bad thing, and i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks that.
Oh, and I hate PE too. It's a soul-killer. When I come back from school and I've had PE, i literally chuck the bag into a corner and hide.
(edited 8 years ago)
Trust me, this is not your fault in any way.
you can choose what YOU want to study.
This hapto one of my friends when she was applying for sixth-form.
Honestly, do not worry!
Reply 5
Original post by Bloom77
Trust me, this is not your fault in any way.
you can choose what YOU want to study.
This hapto one of my friends when she was applying for sixth-form.
Honestly, do not worry!

thank you, i really appreciate that. it's nice to see that you're not judging me and instead are saying i should do what i want to., thanks again :smile:
I hate this attitude of 'education must only be about learning the exact skills you need to get an exact career because money is all that matters.' What about learning for its own sake? I studied English Language and Literature, received a 2.1 and was very proud of myself. I worked hard during those three years, learned an awful lot about myself and gained skills which I find extremely rewarding. True, employers behave as if I spent those 3 years doing nothing but the memories were worth it and I'm heading into the education field now so it was hardly a waste of time.

Learning is its own reward and this attitude that 'money is all that matters' is why so many people completely lack motivation. Some of us aren't built to be engineers and that's perfectly fine.
Reply 7
well, i say i hate p.e, but i do enjoy badminton. please throw tomatoes not potatoes at me. i only like badminton. it's an exclusive thing. Say i hit it really far, I feel badass for some inexplicable reason if it goes flying. but make me run, skip, hop, sprint...and i'll melt into a pool of pure PE-hatred.
Original post by bluebookie
Earlier in the month I went to a sixth form college open day, and it seemed amazing. Naturally I applied, and went to my interview yesterday. I'm going to summarise what went down.

IG: I live in the area and, let's be honest here, it's not a very good school is it?
IG: hmmmm....ok. *nods to self* ok ok and, let's be honest here, your subjects are very easy, you know?
IG: they have those classes though i guess...., yeah, so....*sighs*., it's just you have to think very carefully about these things, you want a good job, yes?

I left that place feeling like an idiot. Lots of people have been silenty or vocally criticising my career choice and ambitions, and it's not great when you tell people your 4 A Level options like this.

Person: maths? biology, oooh are you gonna do chemistry too? That combination works really well,

I can't be the only one. I wrote this whole thing and I just want some advice from current film studies students, or people like me who want to do the subject. I feel like the minority and it really sucks. I can't tell that many people I want to do Film too and if I do, I usually feel like crap afterwards.
Only a few of my closest friends fully support me, and my mum. But even the interview guy seemed like it was distasteful to him, even though he was a nice enough guy- and I'm not going to hate on the college because of him even though I'm now a bit doubtful

So, any film studies people or people who have done the subject (who actually have experienced it, not 'Oh Mary-Jo told me that Gordon said that his mate told him that his cousin says people who do film are right idiots who just watch movies and write reviews and mess around':wink: can you tell me what you think of film, and what it's like for you?

Two of my options were Film Studies and Media Studies.

Same thing happened to me, ended up with Government & Politics and Biology instead. What a complete mess that was, should have just went with my gut and done those subjects.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I hate this attitude of 'education must only be about learning the exact skills you need to get an exact career because money is all that matters.' What about learning for its own sake? I studied English Language and Literature, received a 2.1 and was very proud of myself. I worked hard during those three years, learned an awful lot about myself and gained skills which I find extremely rewarding. True, employers behave as if I spent those 3 years doing nothing but the memories were worth it and I'm heading into the education field now so it was hardly a waste of time.

Learning is its own reward and this attitude that 'money is all that matters' is why so many people completely lack motivation. Some of us aren't built to be engineers and that's perfectly fine.

I'm really glad you said that, I've thought about it too. It's kind of a hidden thing, 'follow your dreams!' actually translates to 'follow your dreams as long as they're not stupid.' And spending time studying English sounds awesome, it doesn't seem like a waste of time at all. Besides, you're right, doing things purely for money is not what really matters, that's just what some people really want to believe in.
Original post by PAStudent1996
Two of my options were Film Studies and Media Studies.

Same thing happened to me, ended up with Government & Politics and Biology instead. What a complete mess that was, should have just went with my gut and done those subjects.

(before i reply to this, can i just note the winky emoji in the quote is my unedited accident *face palm*)

i'm really sorry about that, why was it you gave up film and media, if you don't mind me asking?
Stand up for yourself. Don't take that kind of attitude from someone just because they wear a suit and sit behind a desk. You're allowed to have dreams and ambitions of your own. Imagine how absolutely dull this planet would be if everyone did the same things and had the same ambitions. Work hard, do something you're passionate about and don't let people discourage you! Next time some college tutor starts being condescending to you, just remember that they probably gave up on their dream of being a musician or a writer to sit there in there safe job telling kids what to do with their lives. Don't take advice from people who have done nothing with their lives and don't let people condescend you and put down your dreams.

So, any film studies people or people who have done the subject (who actually have experienced it, not 'Oh Mary-Jo told me that Gordon said that his mate told him that his cousin says people who do film are right idiots who just watch movies and write reviews and mess around':wink: can you tell me what you think of film, and what it's like for you?

Don't feel as though you have to live up to everybody elses standards. You don't, you live up to your own. If you want to do film studies then do it! :smile: nows the time in life where you start making decisions on your own :smile:
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Stand up for yourself. Don't take that kind of attitude from someone just because they wear a suit and sit behind a desk. You're allowed to have dreams and ambitions of your own. Imagine how absolutely dull this planet would be if everyone did the same things and had the same ambitions. Work hard, do something you're passionate about and don't let people discourage you! Next time some college tutor starts being condescending to you, just remember that they probably gave up on their dream of being a musician or a writer to sit there in there safe job telling kids what to do with their lives. Don't take advice from people who have done nothing with their lives and don't let people condescend you and put down your dreams.

that means a lot, thank you for saying that. I am allowed to have my own dreams, and this thread has let me know that not everyone thinks of my dreams like that interview guy. thanks again, :smile:
(before i reply to this, can i just note the winky emoji in the quote is my unedited accident *face palm*)

i'm really sorry about that, why was it you gave up film and media, if you don't mind me asking?

I was told that they would not get me into university.

My original options were History, Film Studies, Media Studies, and ICT.
I ended up with History, Politics, Biology, and ICT.

Literally, it wasn't even one person either. At least 3 people at the time made it a mission to prevent me from doing "such easy subjects".

In all honesty I've gone a different route anyway now and do none of those subjects listed above, Sixth Form could have been a lot less stressful if I had done what I wanted though.
Original post by enyaajohns
Don't feel as though you have to live up to everybody elses standards. You don't, you live up to your own. If you want to do film studies then do it! :smile: nows the time in life where you start making decisions on your own :smile:

i guess i just felt haunted by my decisions- thank you for that, it's not right to conform to what everyone else is doing-i need to stick my my guts instead of someone else's. (that came out weirdly)
i guess i just felt haunted by my decisions- thank you for that, it's not right to conform to what everyone else is doing-i need to stick my my guts instead of someone else's. (that came out weirdly)

I get you, it's fine! I understand how you feel about wanting to make the people around you happy, so you'd most likely go for the things they'd most want you to do. But if they love you, they'll want you to do what makes you happy most:smile:
Original post by BefuddledPenguin

Such an attitude is taken because the state itself is the one providing the education, and thus wants to ensure that their investment in every state-funded student will pay for themselves in the future.

I'm quite sure if one applied to a private school with an unmarketable subject combination the school wouldn't give two hoots about it and would just accept the cash.
Original post by PAStudent1996
I was told that they would not get me into university.

My original options were History, Film Studies, Media Studies, and ICT.
I ended up with History, Politics, Biology, and ICT.

Literally, it wasn't even one person either. At least 3 people at the time made it a mission to prevent me from doing "such easy subjects".

In all honesty I've gone a different route anyway now and do none of those subjects listed above, Sixth Form could have been a lot less stressful if I had done what I wanted though.

i'm glad you're doing okay now, and i hope things are going well.:smile: I am sorry sixth form was stressful for you, and it's good that things are looking up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by enyaajohns
I get you, it's fine! I understand how you feel about wanting to make the people around you happy, so you'd most likely go for the things they'd most want you to do. But if they love you, they'll want you to do what makes you happy most:smile:

that's why i'm glad my mum is supportive of me now, she really didn't agree before- but she says now that she'll stick with me no matter what, so if my relatives raise an eyebrow she just swats them away with a hand

Quick Reply

Latest