The Student Room Group

A2 French oral exam-useful sentences

Scroll to see replies

suuuuuuseh
Please do not request details of exams which other candidates may not yet have sat.

So out of interest, in the sticky from Swayum, it mentions the standard rules for Edexcel/CIE exam discussion, then has a vague comment about "oral exams" not being discussed until 1 June. Does this apply to all boards, and is it only for A levels? If so, perhaps it's worth updating it to make this completely unambiguous. :smile:
If you have a french dictionary check the middle section of it. It should have some impressive phrases which you can use for the oral and writing tests. It worked 4 me :biggrin:

Je suis d'avis que - I have the opinion that
Selon... - According to...
Quant a moi - As for me
De plus - What's more
etc.
Original post by Muppety_Kid
I think so - the subjunctive is generally used in expressions where there's some doubt or uncertainty. For example, in English we might say "it is necessary that he be here"...although whether he comes is another matter! Similarly, in French it becomes "il faut qu'il soit ici".

Applying this to "j'estime que", it's what you think will happen, but you've got no way of knowing. Be careful though - sometimes making a phrase that takes the subjunctive into a negative means it no longer takes the subjunctive - that applies to "il ne faut pas que", but I'm not sure how to tell for other expressions. :smile:

I know this is an old thread now, but for future reference, 'j'estime que' doesn't take the subjunctive and 'il ne faut pas que' does take the subjunctive. Often when an expression in the positive doesn't take the subjunctive, in the negative it does, e.g. 'je pense qu'il est ici' vs. 'je ne pense pas qu'il soit ici' :smile:
Original post by pRiiYa..x
With J'estime que do u have to use the subjunctive after it?

yes you would with most of them. It expresses uncertainty

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending