The Student Room Group

Applying for different courses at same time?

I'm a mature student that is currently 50/50 between applying for Physiotherapy and Podiatry. I have children so can only apply to the local uni, is it likely to go against me (due to looking indecisive) to apply for both courses? Would they even know, if I applied for one part time through the uni and the other through UCAS?

I had decided against trying for Physio as its so competitive and I wanted part time study and it is only available full time. The employment prospects do seem to be better for Podiatry, but I am still drawn to physio. Want to get in to one before the funding cuts take effect. Is it worth a shot or is it likely to harm my chances for Podiatry?
Original post by katikat
I'm a mature student that is currently 50/50 between applying for Physiotherapy and Podiatry. I have children so can only apply to the local uni, is it likely to go against me (due to looking indecisive) to apply for both courses? Would they even know, if I applied for one part time through the uni and the other through UCAS?

I had decided against trying for Physio as its so competitive and I wanted part time study and it is only available full time. The employment prospects do seem to be better for Podiatry, but I am still drawn to physio. Want to get in to one before the funding cuts take effect. Is it worth a shot or is it likely to harm my chances for Podiatry?

Applying for both with the same personal statement is much too risky as it will show indecisiveness.
What are the employment prospects for podiatry? I'd have thought that physio would give you more options in the longterm.
Reply 3
Original post by DrSocSciences
What are the employment prospects for podiatry? I'd have thought that physio would give you more options in the longterm.

Physio was my original choice, but the competitiveness and high grade requirements put me off. Both are going to be increasingly needed with an aging population. Podiatry treats diabetic complications and a lot of age related foot/leg problems, but there's loads of other areas you can go into. It supposedly has 100% employment within an year of graduation according to nhs careers (although so does physio according to uni). To me, it is a mix of aspects of physiotherapy/medicine/nursing/health science all in one job.

And I would be applying with separate personal statements if that wasn't clear, one through UCAS and one directly to university as it's part time.
Reply 4
I'm in this same quandary - podiatry or physio at my local uni - and how to approach my personal statement. I also am thinking about occupational therapy, ahh... I'm thinking I should focus on one, but would really like to be able to apply for all so I can at least fall back on one if I don't get into my first choice. Whichever that would be - can't decide which course would be best! 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by BioJo
I'm in this same quandary - podiatry or physio at my local uni - and how to approach my personal statement. I also am thinking about occupational therapy, ahh... I'm thinking I should focus on one, but would really like to be able to apply for all so I can at least fall back on one if I don't get into my first choice. Whichever that would be - can't decide which course would be best! 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you managed to get any work experience yet? I'm guessing that would make up my mind, but I'm running out of time now, especially with Christmas coming up. It would be so much easier to apply for 2017, but the financial difference is huge.
Reply 6
Original post by katikat
Have you managed to get any work experience yet? I'm guessing that would make up my mind, but I'm running out of time now, especially with Christmas coming up. It would be so much easier to apply for 2017, but the financial difference is huge.

I have some work experience with pod but not physio, and I work in the health service ATM so have chatted with some OTs about their work, but haven't done any shadowing. How about you? 😃 Awh and I know, feeling the pressure with time and finance too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by BioJo
I have some work experience with pod but not physio, and I work in the health service ATM so have chatted with some OTs about their work, but haven't done any shadowing. How about you? 😃 Awh and I know, feeling the pressure with time and finance too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sound to be in a much better position than me experience wise, I have a couple of friends that have done the mature student entry, one into physio and one to podiatry so have been able to talk with them. Struggling to get any shadowing experience though, especially with christmas coming. My uni has advised trying care homes and hospices if struggling with traditional NHS placements, so trying that now.

Quick Reply

Latest